Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chest Holster for semi-auto.. Recommendations?

Default Chest Holster for semi-auto.. Recommendations?

Okay, I hope to not stir the pot with this post, I foresee it coming thou...

I'm headed up North for my first Alaska fishing trip (I just finished the trips detail for the 7 day adventure. I will post later). I've decided that over and above my can of bear spray, I'm bringing my 40 S&W Springfield XD. I'd feel a whole lot safer with my pistol in the event something was to happen than a small can of bear spray.

I usually carry it on my side in a belt holster. I want to get a chest holster as I feel a shoulder holster might restrict movement and comfort when it comes to fishing.

For those that have recommendations on a chest holster or advice, I'd sure love to hear it.

Default .40 Caliber?

Here ya go for a chest holster. I bought one for my .45acp.

http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/

Anyways.... I always carry my 12 gauge loaded with 3" magnum slugs. I've got it in a scabbard with the stock folded which is attached to my backpack when I'm in thick country.

PERFECT!!! Do you like this holster? Any pro's/con's before I purchase?

Can`t help with the holster but Double Tap sells cast ammo for the .40.

Thumbs up Diamond D

Check out Diamond D leather. They make a chest holster to fit about any pistol. I looked at them at the gun show a while back and was really impressed, fit right, comfortable and easy to put on.

http://www.davidjohnstonleather.com/Pages/Holsters.html

I couldn't afford one of theirs so I built my own with a Blackhawk nylon belt holster and some 1 1/2 inch webbing and a couple of buckles. Took some playing around with but works about as well as the Diamond D ( I would guess, having never used one other than trying it on). I wear it riding my snogo or hiking , fishing etc. Don't even remember it's there after a few minutes it's so comfortable.

I have one of Dave’s Johnston guide choice holster for my 454,,, it works well all-around, fish with it on, set up camp, cook, gather firewood ect ect. Like all things it gets some getting use to but after you wear it for a couple days it fine. Will hardly leave home with out it.

Both the holsters mentioned in this thread are excellent and Alaskan made. I prefer the Alaskan Sportsman because one holster covers several of my auto pistols.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    one holster covers several of my auto pistols.

that statement right there sold me.

I got a Glock 20 (10mm) the other week and bought a Desantis shoulder holster. Incredibly comfortable and fits under my fly vest

http://www.desantisholster.com/store...wse&ctg_id=287

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default my standard bear gun thread reply, once again

Quote Originally Posted by mlchris2 View Post
    Okay, I hope to not stir the pot with this post, I foresee it coming thou...

I'm headed up North for my first Alaska fishing trip (I just finished the trips detail for the 7 day adventure. I will post later). I've decided that over and above my can of bear spray, I'm bringing my 40 S&W Springfield XD. I'd feel a whole lot safer with my pistol in the event something was to happen than a small can of bear spray.

I usually carry it on my side in a belt holster. I want to get a chest holster as I feel a shoulder holster might restrict movement and comfort when it comes to fishing.

For those that have recommendations on a chest holster or advice, I'd sure love to hear it.
    Well: if you don't want to stir the pot, then you won't talk about bringing in a pistol to the Kenai (your destination as indicated in prior posts) as if it ever did anyone any good. And, on your "first trip to Alaska"

Sure, I have just a couple pieces of advice:

1. LEAVE YOUR GUN AT HOME!!!!! YOU DO NOT NEED IT, IT WILL DO YOU NO GOOD (edited). IT WILL PROVIDE YOU NO INCREMENT OF "PROTECTION" AGAINST BEARS. DO NOT BRING IT. IF ANY QUESTIONS, RE-READ THE LAST SENTENCE (DO NOT BRING IT).

Seriously, there will be lots of Alaskans with guns, not that it does them, any more good than it does you, which is close to none. This subject of guns and bears has been so beaten to death that it really doesn't deserve any more discussion. Guns while fishing? (edited) The only time a gun provides you protection is if it is in your hand, safety off, and prepared to fire. You won't be able to do that and fish. There have been rare instances in which such a gun, which is prepared ready to fire, has protected people from a mauling. But - otherwise (meaning other than having it cocked and ready to fire) - you just will not have time; and it is not necessary to treat these animals as if they were angry tigers. They aren't generally. But there are some bad bears. It is a risk that is assumed, and a gun in a holster just isn't protection. Similarly, it isn't fair to shoot any bear that aimlessly wanders into camps (especially when attracted by sloppy camping practices involving food or food odors, and sometimes they are campground bears).

2. If you see a bear, get away from it. Do not pull a gun. By "get away" I mean move (not running, they sometimes have a chase response) 500 feet or more. Do not remain around to "see what they will do", do not approach them, wait to take a picture, feed them, pet them, throw rocks at them, or protect your camp. Just get away. Bears can, and occasionally do, move fast. Very fast. You will NOT have time (nor want) to drop all your fishing gear in the river, pull a weapon from a holster, and take aim and make a lethal shot -especially with a pistol. Do not fish near bears either.

Fact of the matter is, if I throw a softball in the air at 10+ yards, and you are dirty harry and pull your gun in about 1 second, cock it and hit the ball before it hits the ground, then you have the skill to put down a charging mother bear at your feet (and, at least one of the members of this website has). But that takes alot of skill, and practice. Which I doubt one in 100 can do. Maybe I'm wrong about that. But I have seen bears move. And while it is frightening, a gun isn't going to help in anything but the most skilled hands. Alaskans often spend alot of time at the range with these big guns; (edited) Do you practice with moving targets? Hit them?

3. Finally, don't make a smelly, camp mess with food on the ground, food smells, food droppings, fish-cleaning mess, or have anything else that smells like food. Cook away from your camp (like 100 yards), if you are doing anything other than boiling water. But if you clean fish near your tent, drip it all over your clothes, then stink the area up just before dusk on a still evening, then you might have some animals sniff you out.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 04-25-2010 at 11:25. Reason: personal comment

RMK

Default The problem isn't the holster

As any old time Alaskan will tell you, remove the front sight. That way it won't hurt as much when a bear shoves it up your...... well, you get the point.

A .40 cal isn't much of a bear gun. If you seriously want some better back up to the spray, bring a shotgun with slugs.

I also suscribe to the theory that you won't need it. During fishing season, bears try to catch fish. Just give them first choice on the fishing holes. I know that it's a personal preference thing, but I've never had a issue in 40 years in the Alaska back country.

Having said that, I still bring a gun when out in the woods, but it's more for the two-legged threats. Have fun, and bring a camera.

Default I agree

I've fished the Russian River without a gun alot...but my wife was always worried, so she let me get a 44. So i figured after a lot of practice shooting at stationary targets mind you, that I would feel a little safer moving away from the crowds...problem is those folks without sidearms figure its safer to fish next to you! So even when trying to get away from people, they see your carrying and think you'll protect them as well.

I was fishing the Russian a few years back, with pistol, when some less responsible people had shot and wounded a few bears. I hiked up river and found a nice spot by myself. People would hike up the river to their spots but pretty much left me alone. I wasn't catching much in this spot, but I did have it to myself. After a while a group of 5 guys shows up and starts fishing hard right next to me. After about 10 minutes, one of the guys asks me if I'm having any luck. Told him no, but they continued to fish next to me. A little will goes by and another asks if I've seen any bears. I told him no but I wasn't worried. He said he wasn't either since I had my pistol with. I thought about it for a minute and told him, Heck I'd get in more trooble shooting a bear than anything else down here. I think they got the point, as they left soon after.

Long story short, Listen to what others have said and if you want solitary fishing in a combat zone, leave the gun at home!

Just my observations! Enjoy the fishing...

Marc
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

Default Agree, but if you're going to bring the gun anyway...

I'll agree that it's probably best to leave the gun behind. I see it as indisputable that your single best bear protection implement is your brain. Using your head is the number one way to prevent yourself from getting into bear trouble, no question. Your chances of having a bear encounter at all are extremely low to begin with. It just doesn't happen that often. If you're smart, alert, and aware, your chances go waaaaaay down. It's possible that you could still be in the wrong place at the wrong time... and by this I mean get into a car accident on your way to the River... Bear danger does exist, and it is prudent to carry some measure of protection. Pepper spray is the easiest, lightest, cheapest, and, some will argue, statistically most effective form.

But, if you do decide to bring the gun, that's absolutely your right, and you don't owe anybody a reason or explanation for it. In response to your question and the two suggestions given, I would recommend the leather holster. It may not be able to accommodate all the different guns you have, but that's part of what makes the leather holster so effective. It gets broken in like a baseball glove and form-fits to your gun. This way, the gun is held fast in the holster but will come out if you give it a firm tug. The problem with the nylon holster is that you have to have the gun clipped or strapped in. If you don't you run a risk that you don't want to run: having the gun slip out into the river. If the gun is clipped and strapped into the holster, and the crazy off-chance occurs that you need to use it, you'll by fiddling with the clasp right as the bear takes a bite. As stated in previous posts, you don't exactly have a lot of time when the time comes. If you're lucky, you'll be able to pull and shoot, and that's all.

I'd say go with the leather - worth the cost. I have one of the Diamond D's, and I can't sing its praise enough.

Oh and if you do bring the gun - please don't shoot a bear unless you absolutely have to. Seems people are taking shots at bears every year in situations that are questionable at best. Remember the part about it being your right to bring a gun? Enough people abuse the right, and that can all change...

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Default holster

Simply rugged holsters are fantastic. Rob lived in Wasilla till Oct, when he went down south to take care of his parents. Do a search on the web, everyone loves them, great holster, great price. I love mine.

Smile Don't need it!!!

mlchris2,

I am by no means an expert, but I have fished the Kenai including the Russian for the last 10 years and have never even came close to needing a gun. I have never brought one with me and probably never will. I am a big hunter, but just haven't needed a gun while fishing there. I have seen a few bears while fishing but have had no problems. My thoughts are, if I see a bear and have time to dig out a gun before it does anything then the bear probably doesn't want to bother me.
    If you are fishing the Kenai or the Russian there will be plenty of people around and the bears are used to seeing the people. Just don't get between a sow and her cub, and if you do you are screwed past the point of much help from a 40 cal.
    Just my thoughts on the situation. Bring the gun if it makes you feel safer. I have just always had enough other stuff to bring on the plane that I sure didn't want another item to drag along that I really didn't need.
    Have fun, catch a bunch of fish and don't worry much about the bears. If you are fishing the Russian/Kenia confluence the other fishermen will bug you a heck of a lot more than the bears.....

Default just don't bring it.

Just don't bring the gun. Period.

The 1-2 seconds you spend standing still, looking for, and messing with getting a gun out of the holster is time better spent keeping your eyes on the bear, any associated cubs, and moving away. The "danger" is truely minimal. These are not aggressive animals. They mope around the river looking for fish. Would you carry a gun while fishing in a pasture with cows? Would you carry a gun while walking amongst people with dogs off leash (probably much more dangerous)?

I, for one, am 100% convinced that the original poster (like the vast majority of people who carry guns as "protection" against bears) has absolutely no clue how, where, or when (if at all) to have or use such a weapon, the kind of weapon to use, and does not have the skill to make a lethal shot. Or has the experience, to consider what might be killed up to 1/2 mile behind his target (other people, for example), should the projectile miss, and in an instant, hold his shot.

The fact that the person who posted "would feel a whole lot safer" with a gun is just one more reason not to bring it. You shouldn't feel safer with a gun. Because you aren't. You are less safe. You have extra weight, and will be dilly-dallying while you should be getting away from the bear because you think the gun is some sort of protection.

Don't think about weapons, holsters, ammo, or gun cases, or extra baggage charges. Go and have fun. If you see a bear at a distance, pull out some binoculars. If it starts to wander within 300-500 feet, move away.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    Just don't bring the gun. Period.

The 1-2 seconds you spend standing still, looking for, and messing with getting a gun out of the holster is time better spent keeping your eyes on the bear, any associated cubs, and moving away. The "danger" is truly minimal. These are not aggressive animals. They mope around the river looking for fish. Would you carry a gun while fishing in a pasture with cows? Would you carry a gun while walking amongst people with dogs off leash (probably much more dangerous)?

I, for one, am 100% convinced that the original poster (like the vast majority of people who carry guns as "protection" against bears) has absolutely no clue how, where, or when (if at all) to have or use such a weapon, the kind of weapon to use, and does not have the skill to make a lethal shot. Or has the experience, to consider what might be killed up to 1/2 mile behind his target (other people, for example), should the projectile miss, and in an instant, hold his shot.

The fact that the person who posted "would feel a whole lot safer" with a gun is just one more reason not to bring it. You shouldn't feel safer with a gun. Because you aren't. You are less safe. You have extra weight, and will be dilly-dallying while you should be getting away from the bear because you think the gun is some sort of protection.

Don't think about weapons, holsters, ammo, or gun cases, or extra baggage charges. Go and have fun. If you see a bear at a distance, pull out some binoculars. If it starts to wander within 300-500 feet, move away.
    So if we can get back on topic that would be great. I didn't post about bears in Alaska or what things I should do. I asked about any recommendations on chest holsters for my semi-auto pistol. I have a personal friend who guided in Alaska for 10 years who is helping me plan the trip. I've read almost every thread in the forum in regards to bears in AK. I've spent 30 years in the outdoors and had run ins with mountain lions, bears and even moose. I know what to do and what not to do. Again, that's not the question I posed.
    Last edited by Alaska_Lanche; 04-21-2010 at 15:41. Reason: Edited for personal attack

Default Order time

Quote Originally Posted by mlchris2 View Post
    that statement right there sold me.
    Just make sure you order in advance, Even after talking with them about needing it before a certain date (2months away) I waited over 3 months and finally it arrived..I sent it right back because I had already went on my trip by the time I got it (I went without my handgun) Probably a great holster, just took to long and I was to hard headed about the bad taste in my mouth about the "no worries" turned into, "sorry dude it late". Thene they offered a 2 for 1 for my troubles, did me no good, and my intention was not to get something for nothing. They did do a refund no problem.

I never even opend the package I was so flamed it took so long, especially after I called and I was reassured it would get to me in time being 2 months out and all. good luck. Cant recommend them, They are short staffed and have too many orders already, did not need my business anyhow.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by y0gee View Post
    Here ya go for a chest holster. I bought one for my .45acp.

http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/

Anyways.... I always carry my 12 gauge loaded with 3" magnum slugs. I've got it in a scabbard with the stock folded which is attached to my backpack when I'm in thick country.
    Rather than ordering... online, can I pickup a holster at a local store in Anchorage?

Thanks for that bit of info JediMaster... def something to think about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast