Thread: Gun Permit for Foreigners

Default Gun Permit for Foreigners

Was planning a trip down the Yukon this summer and would be crossing the boarder from Canada to US. As a foreigner wanting to carry a firearm in both Canada and US for protection reasons only is this possible? Can anyone point me to the right website with information about this.

Thanks

Hesh

Default worms

Hesh you wanting to open a can of worms??? LOL Not sure if you are Canadian or Alaskan? Canadians traveling to AK need to apply for a permit, the customs officer in Skagway can give you the add. You must apply 6 months in advance (at least) and I was told you needed a nonresident hunting license from the state you are traveling to before you could even apply so I dont know what would happen if you said you just needed it for protection. Before the Patriot Act I used to take long guns down to Haines all the time. I learned about the new laws the hard way, I showed up at the border at Haines with my shotgun... they wouldnt let me in.. and Im a US citizen!
    If you are coming to Canada you can fill out the forms before you leave or if thats a hassle just show up at customs and fill out the forms there, takes about 5 minutes. Yea I know our gun laws are pretty bad eh!

Default atf

You will need to fill out ATFs form 6NIA, takes 6 to 8 weeks. Not sure if "self protection" would be legal. Good Luck!

Default ATFE web

You can hit the AFTE web site. Information and AFT6 forms will be available there. YOu will have to report in at Eagle port of entry. Eagle customs office is not open 24/7 so you should call ahead. In order to posses a firearm leaglly in the U.S. as a non resident, you have to have a lagitimate need. Hunting qualifies but your required to have licence and permits for the State you intend to hunt in. A shooting match also qualifies but you haveto have an official invite. You cna bring the weapon in for demonstations and marketing but again that would require proof of show.

USCBP ALCAN port would be able to address any entry questions. The number is 907-774-2252. I would call and check to see when Eagle will be open so that you can report in. They will also be able to tell you if personal protection meets the ATFE requirments. I do not believe so but I could be wrong.

Hope this helps.