Thread: Benelli/Beretta shotguns

Default Benelli/Beretta shotguns

I am strongly considering a field version Benelli Montefeltro (20 gauge, 26") or Berrea Urika 391 (20 gauge, 26"). It will be used almost exclusively for ruffed grouse hunting in AK and WI. Most hunting will be late in the season (i.e., below freezing, snow and wet conditions).

I've done quite a bit of research and both guns come with high marks and many devoted owners. I haven't shot either of them, which goes to my questions.

1. The Benellis have a recoil action and the consensus seems to be that there is more recoil with a Benelli (recoil driven) than a Beretta (gas driven). The Benelli is slightly lighter (< 1/2 lb) lighter than the Beretta. With a 20 gauge Montefeltro or Urika, and using relatively heavy loads, will the difference in recoil between the guns be enough to matter? My issue with recoil is not sore shoulders, but rather in being in the best possible position to get off a good 2nd shot on flushing birds.

2. I'd love to shoot either gun (and probably buy one used if locally available), so if anyone lives in the Anchorage/Valley area, I would really appreciate having the chance to shoot or try one on for size.

Thanks,

Eric

I've got the Benelli Super Black Eagle in 12 gauge 3 1/2-inch. Saying that the Benelli is "recoil" driven is a bit of a misnomer, not in any mechanical sense but in the end results compared to other recoil systems. Whatever hair you split, that SBE kicks less than any other shotgun I've ever shot when comparing loads. My Browning Gold 12 is only 3", but it seems to kick considerably more than the SBE with 3", and in fact the 3 1/2's in the SBE seem to kick about the same or even less than the 3" loads in the Browning. On top of all that, the Benelli is unbelievably fast in cycling the action. Shoot it a while and you'll have trouble with followup shots on the Browning simply because you won't wait long enough before squeezing the second shot on the Browning. The action on the Browning doesn't seem slow at all till you shoot the Benelli a while.

A friend has the Benelli Montefeltro in 20 gauge, along with a bunch of other 20's. He uses it exclusively in the shoot-to-retrieve field trials specifically because it recoils so little and is blazing fast for followup shots. In your shoes I wouldn't worry about extra recoil, and I'd sure be looking forward to the benefits of fast cycle times using the Benelli.

I have a Berretta AL390 12 GA with 24 inch barrell. I use it exclusively for grouse and woodcock (in GA AND Mich before moving up here) and have no problem with the second....or third shot. It is the best shooting bird gun I have ever owned. recoil is not an issue at all especially with bird loads.

I have both in 12 ga and use primarily for pheasants.....with the same loads, the Beretta has noticeably less recoil which I imagine is the result of the slower action thus spreading the recoil over a longer period of time....with the Beretta, I can stay on target for a third shot because of the very light recoil with short magnums....

Asking which gun to buy, is like asking which car to buy, or asking which girl to marry.

Take them for a test drive, and see which one you like best.

Go to any clay range in the world and I'm sure you'll find someone that will let you shoot their gun.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Get the new Berretta Urika. Shot one in Orlando and I couldn't miss. recoil was unnoticable.

Default Comfortec stocks

I know they make autos with the comfortec stock. Not sure if that same model and if available yet in 20ga. Their 20 ga pumps are supposed to be out soon with comfortec so you think they would make the autos as well. I bought two 12ga with comfortec and they are just awesome. I noticed a lot less recoil then my 12ga regular nova with the 14oz mercury tube. I was told berreta might have trouble cycling light loads. Plus the weight difference between the 12 and 20. the 20 kicks just as much as a 12ga. And with the 12ga autos i know they have comfortec stock on those. It looks wierd but actually works great. I highly recomend them. I was going to buy one auto instead of two pumps but decided they both could shoot this way and was the right decision. My brothers wife loves it. She says she don't feel a thing shooting 2 3/4 3 dram 1 1/8 oz loads. not too light and not the heaviest but she had no problem. Their new system works. Either way stick with beneli. Faster shootin and good quality. Grouse ridge in wasilla rents guns. Fun course great people.