Thread: Drew tag DM211

Default Drew tag DM211

Anyone hunted this area off 20 mile river? Will go scouting this summer but wondered if anyone has any info on the area?

Default Same here

I have not hunted the area but I also drew dm211. I have played around in the area quite a bit and an antlerless moose shouldn't be hard to find.

My neighbor did the 20 mile hunt a few years ago. He scouted the area by airplane a few weeks before the hunt. He said it was the oddest thing he ever saw. He couldn't find a single animal up 20 mile. They finally found a group of about 20 animals, all within about 30 yards of each other, grouped together in a meadow and laying out in the sun. They were up Peterson creek I believe. A few weeks later, he went up that same creek to head that spot. Ran into a cow and bull that were together on their way in. Animal down.

I've camped on gravel bars on the 20 mile before and have seen numerous bear tracks in there.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

I should clarify, this is Placer River Valley

Default When?

vadimb, When do you plan on going out?
    I'm going sept 1st so that I can try for a Grizzly also. Between the moose tag,grizzly tag,black bear and wolf...should get some animal...hopefully multiple animals.

he a pic of 20mile in aug. Also that my 85 year grand pa.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang0335 View Post
    vadimb, When do you plan on going out?
    I'm going sept 1st so that I can try for a Grizzly also. Between the moose tag,grizzly tag,black bear and wolf...should get some animal...hopefully multiple animals.
    I was thinking the later the better, if there are any moose left
    Mostly thinking about the rut time. I was told the area is brushy, will try calling. I need to talk to a biologist at Fish and Game. Couple of years the moose population was down, so they only gave out 20 DM210, this year they gave out 40. Must be a good year

Hi Mike
    how far up 20mile were you able to go?

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    he a pic of 20mile in aug. Also that my 85 year grand pa.

Default Cow

I dont need to wait for the rut...I drew a cow tag :-)

How far did i go. Never going that far up again how that sound. A couple miles or so past the no fishing sign.

How far did i go. Never going that far up again how that sound. A couple miles or so past the no fishing sign.
    Aww come on it ain't that bad. I took a 30hp tunnel jon to the headwaters plus two other dudes and gear in May. Carmen that time of year is a good time as well. My problem was dealing with all the hooli dipnetters at the launch.

it ain't that bad in May your right. Gotta love hooli dipnetters. I'm looking forward to some run up 20 mile

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Aww come on it ain't that bad. I took a 30hp tunnel jon to the headwaters plus two other dudes and gear in May. Carmen that time of year is a good time as well. My problem was dealing with all the hooli dipnetters at the launch.

it ain't that bad in May...
    not that bad in December either...

http://www.youtube.com/toshiroak#p/u/31/gq7u2ohjCek
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by mustang0335 View Post
    Anyone hunted this area off 20 mile river? Will go scouting this summer but wondered if anyone has any info on the area?
    Had a friend draw and hunt it last year. This guy is as straight a shooter as they come and has hunted and lived here for over 35 yrs. He went the last week of the season. He camped on a fork in the river not too far from a cabin. The winds blew like a hurricane. He watched (literally) mini tornadoes/funnels ripping through the valley, destroying their camp. He could hear and see them coming around for several seconds before hitting the camp. The rain was hard and unrelenting as well. This went on for 3 days. They got to hunt 1 out of 4 days before calling to get help out. During that one day to hunt, they heard a bull grunt two times and then got too dark to go on. When he went upriver, it was a nice bluebird fall day like it should be. Running the river was never a problem. Well, surprise, surprise.... I've been up there several times over the years (usually spring/summer) and have noticed the cottonwoods with their top gone and lots of trees leaning hard or laid over in several areas. Never put the two together til hearing his story. Other than that, that's what I've heard. Good luck...

any updates on this hunt???
    NRA life Member JVJ

Went a few weeks ago but we didnt see anything....talked with alot of people we came across and they hadnt seen anything either. Going again the last week of the month.

even though you have a cow permit the rut is still a good time. My 15 year old daughter shot a nice bull up the placer last year and he had three lady friends with him. they stuck around the whole time we were field dressing their boyfriend. we took a 40 horse tunnel hull all the way to spencer lake however she got her moose at the mouth of skookum creek which is not far from the boat launch. Be carfull not to get lost. If you come down the wrong channel you will be facing a couple of small waterfalls. This is a great tag good luck!!