Thread: Koyukuk Logistics Issues? Call me crazy!!!!

Default Koyukuk Logistics Issues? Call me crazy!!!!

I am in my initial planning stages for hunting Koyukuk I was lucky enough to draw DM828 5-14 September moose hunt. I would like to run my 21 ft jetcraft extreme shallow xs 200hp optimax inboard jet down the yukon from the bridge.Not sure on my limitations for hauling capacity but I would have a party of two,camp,gear, etc and be hauling some fuel and probably stop by every village to re top off so that I am not overloaded and putting two much strain on the boat.Then my last stop Galena purchase 200 gallons plus which should get me up to the hunting grounds and back to Galena where I would air charter meat etc back to Fairbanks.How much fuel should I keep on hand at all times?

With this scenario would I be better off flying to Galena and renting a boat? Not even sure of availabilty of rental boats or other options.Would like to hear how others would approach this. Is anybody interested in running down together for added insurance? Also how long does it take to run from the bridge to the mouth of the koyukuk?

Thanks, BIG 27
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

This is what I know from running the Copper. The XS and similar boats do not like being loaded down in big water. Even as flat as it is the 12 inch narrower bottom negatively affects it compared to the big inboards. Our setup: Two people, 3 days gear, 80 extra fuel, and no camp. We sleep in the boat and take precooked, vacuum sealed food to save weight. I run the shore as much as possible and take as many braids as I can to keep away from the deeper water. On a trip like this I end up running the boat harder than I would prefer. I remember upwards of 4800 rpm. Won't hurt it but I notice we have a hard time keeping up with the big inboards and end up burning the same as them in fuel. If you're planning on 200 gallons and a full camp this will only make it worse all around.

These boats aren't the best on the big rivers but I do know folks use them on the Yukon. It is doable. Slower and less efficient, but doable.

My "rule of thimb"; Whatever you get, have 5 spare gallons....

You never know.

Good luck.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Big 27 I didnt draw a tag this year but once I draw I plan on doing it in my SJX so when you are finished with your trip any information you could pass along would be great. Thanks Chris

Default Galena

I know of no one that rents boats in Galena. Or anywhere along the Yukon for that fact. Fuel, always top off where ever you can because once you are out there is no place to buy any. You should have 2 - fives on board for fuel transfer. Some villages do not have a fuel station right along the river so you will have to transfer fuel to the boat. Expect to pay dearly for fuel more than likely twice the price in Fairbanks. It is all barged in except the winter if a village runs out they can fly it in.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default koyukuk info

there are lots of threads w/ info on running the Yukon, fuel at each village and where to buy it, and boat availability.
    In a nutshell:
    Fuel is available at Tanana Ruby and Galena.
    Tanana- there are 2 places to buy on the river, but I'll ONLY buy from Dale and Cynthia at Tanana Commercial. They are great folks and very hospitable. She also runs a B&B in case you need to spend the night.
    Ruby- Only one place to buy but sometimes it takes a bit to find the fueler. Hours have been known to be a bit goofy. Fuel is available on the river.
    Galena- On and off as to if fuel is available on the river. Crowley or the gas station is not too far, and should not be a problem to find somebody to help haul drums if needed.
    Shawn Bjorgen is a good guy and I have used him to help me in the past. He works over at Frontier and is the agent for Everts Air Cargo. You might talk to Shawn and also talk to Everts in Fairbanks about hauling gas to Galena and moose meat back to Fairbanks. Any way you do it, yes, it is more expensive.
    Charlie Green is an Outfitter out of Galena. He runs people out in his big Peregrine, but had a couple of boats that he rented out too. One was an inboard, the other a skiff w/ a 40 Yamaha prop/jet.
    I am not picking on 2-stroke sport inboards here. Keep in mind that the more weight you haul, the more fuel you'll burn, and the more oil you'll need. Double the fuel burn would equal double the oil needed. You will not likely find the full synthetic oils in the villages.
    I've never stopped in Koyukuk Village for fuel. Can't help you there. Normally you will not go right by the village as there are shortcuts to use. The next available fuel upriver is Huslia.
    Hope some of that helps.
    ARR

Default Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Shawn Bjorgen is a good guy and I have used him to help me in the past. He works over at Frontier and is the agent for Everts Air Cargo. You might talk to Shawn and also talk to Everts in Fairbanks about hauling gas to Galena and moose meat back to Fairbanks. Any way you do it, yes, it is more expensive.
    ARR
    I have slept at his house a couple of times and once in the hangar when traveling with my dog. Nice guy!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Galena Shawn

He and his wife had a bed and breakfast. It was clean and warm when we stayed several years back. Especially if flying in and out of GAL he is worth a call to see what he is offering.
    I'm not sure if Charlie Green has a place to stay or not. There is also another B&B owned/run by the Huntingtons I do believe. I have met both of them and found them to be good folks. I have not stayed with them though.

Default The Huntington's in Galena

It has been over 12-years, but I rented a boat twice from Roger Huntington. I am not sure if he does this at all any longer. He and his wife Carol are two of the nicest people on earth. I was priviledge to meet and talk wolf trapping with his father Sidney Huntington. He was in his 80's and was still going out on his own with his sled and team. That entire family is a pleasure to know in my opinion.

The first year we rented boats from Roger he asked us for our wallets. In his calm manner he said you won't need them out there and if you lose my boats I'll use them for you! We had a tendancy to make him laugh as we took a LOT of gear with us...Carol always said at least we would be comfortable! All three times we were some of the first to go in before season and the first to come out with our meat. We always filled up and our longest haul to the boat was 80-yards. I know its different now with the permits and all but I still think this is a great area to hunt in.

If you are running shallow gear you won't have to worry too much about the low areas west of Galena. The Koyukuk has its challenges too. Figure what your burn rate is ... if you are running low you can always float some down the Koyukuk. It takes more gas running upstream on the Yukon, or at least in the boats and outboards we utilized from Roger.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    He and his wife had a bed and breakfast. It was clean and warm when we stayed several years back. Especially if flying in and out of GAL he is worth a call to see what he is offering.
    I'm not sure if Charlie Green has a place to stay or not. There is also another B&B owned/run by the Huntingtons I do believe. I have met both of them and found them to be good folks. I have not stayed with them though.
    Charlie doesn't have a place for a person to stay. He will, however, let you sleep in his shop/garage if you rent one of his boats.

Default Big27

I would suggest simulating the max weight you will be carrying, 200 gallons of fuel, your camp as well as hunter weight plus moose weight @ 750 lbs. See what your boat will do on a lake. If you can get on step, determine what your fuel burn per hour will be. That will give you a good idea how much fuel you will need to carry. You can run to Galena with less fuel but once you leave there you will need to be carrying at least 200 gallons. On one trip to Galena, three boats, two with 115 hp and one with 130 hp outboards we all burned approx. 100 gallons.

Depending on where you live, Deshka to Talkeetna on the big Su or Fairbanks to Nenana would give you realistic test runs for load and fuel.

Also, have you considered launching from Manley instead of the Yukon Bridge?
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today