View Poll Results: How many rounds of rifle ammo do you carry for a weekend hunt?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 to 3 (I'm a great shot and don't need many and I'm not worried about anything else.)

0 0%
  • 3 to 5 (I just load the magazine.)

1 0.81%
  • 5 to 10 (I load the mag and put a few in my pocket.)

29 23.58%
  • 10 to 15 (I like extra in case I run into trouble.)

25 20.33%
  • 15 to 20 (I take a box full.)

38 30.89%
  • 20 to 40 (I like to have between 1 and 2 boxes.)

30 24.39%
  • More than 40. (I take plenty in case I run into Bin Laden or some other terrorists.

0 0%

Thread: How many rounds of rifle ammo do you carry on a hunt?

Default Poll: How many rounds of rifle ammo do you carry on a hunt?

I was wondering how many rounds of rifle ammo most hunters carry into the field. I'm sure it varies somewhat depending on how many days you expect to be out. Let's assume a weekend (2 or 3 day) hunt.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

Usually about 20 total, I'll keep 4 in the rifle and 3 sets of 5 in plastic holders.

Default 10-15 rounds

I like to carry a few extra that way if my scope gets bumped I can resight it in.

30, One box of 20 + plus my leather belt holder of 10,

Why can't I vote on these poles?

CZ

My magazine full, my belt holder of 5-10 and through and extra box in just in case.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

10 rounds rifle and 6 rounds of hand gun.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by CZ_IN_AK View Post
    30, One box of 20 + plus my leather belt holder of 10,

Why can't I vote on these poles?

CZ

Go into your user CP and click on your Edit Options. Once that page opens scroll all the way too the bottom and change your Message Editor Interface to the Full WYSIWIG Editor. That might help. If not I don't know what the problem could be.

Default Usually

Usually I load the gun, and have one extra load of 5. Some times I'll throw one more in for a total of 11. That one is for the hike out if something comes up. I've found the fewer bullets I carry, the more careful I am with my shots. But stuff happens out in the woods like taking a fall and knocking your zero out. Or deer hunting, once in a while you want more than one. I can't remember the last deer I shot at more than twice tho. But I take a few extras, just so if I do wound one or one of my partners does, and I'm chasing one down, I have plenty to get the job done. I'd hate to leave one to suffer while I hiked out to get more ammo.

I do carry an extra box on the boat at all times, for emergencies like sighting in in the field. If I'm out on an extended trip, I don't want to be having to run to town cuz something happenned. But they stay on the boat, and so far I've never had to use them.

Default Just in case

Having a little more just in case the scope gets bumped and I have to resight the gun.

If bow hunting I carry 6 in the relover and an extra set of survival rounds.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Bring enough!

The former world record whitetail, the Jordan Buck, was wounded and the hunter was out of ammo, until he happened to find one last cartridge while frantically searching his pockets! That last round did the trick.

Like some of you guys mentioned, you might need to sight in your rifle again if you knock the scope, or you might be chasing a wounded animal in the thick stuff and be forced to take some poor shots. It's nice to have the same caliber as your hunting buddy, in which case you might be called on to share your ammo if he's forgotten his or run out for any reason.

I also like to carry some ammo in my pockets so it's with me all the time, just in case I've grabbed my rifle to go after an animal passing camp and I haven't grabbed my day pack.

Default 16+ rounds

I figure that the worst case scenario is 5 rounds to make the kill. I want 5 rounds to defend myself from a possible bear attack, and it'd be nice to have at least 6 rounds for signaling if you really got into trouble (2 sets of 3 rounds in an emergency). That said, I'll usually just take the whole dang box...

Default Seems like most take a box full.

Thanks for the responses. I might as well say that I typically load my magazine with 3 rounds, put 9 in my buttstock shell carrier and carry two extra detachable magazines with 3 rounds each. That's 18 rounds. I usually feel funny about leaving two lonely rounds in the box, so I just throw them in my pocket or pack.

As AKHUNTER and AKJOB said, rezeroing a rifle or signaling is a good reason to carry extra ammo. Thankfully, I haven't needed to do either, but I like to be prepared.

Considering that most hunts end without me firing more than one or two rounds, 20 should be good insurance.

I also have the .44 Super Blackhawk Hunter with six in it plus an ammo wallet with 20 handgun shells.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

For just a weekend hunt, I'll carry 6-8 rds. When I go on a 2 week trip, I usually carry a box.

It takes me about half a box per duck so thats how many shells I bring
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default enough

I fill my gun then put 4-5 in my pants pocket(both pairs). I then throw a few in each pocket of my pack. Now I am not sure how many rounds I have so I put a few in each coat pocket. I fill my belt pouch(10 rounds). now I am ready. Then I will stop at the store after leaving the house and buy 1 more box of ammo and 5 extra cans of chew. better safe than sorry!

P.S. My wife wanted me to add that I have a large pile of bullets on the shelf above the washing machine that she has removed from my pockets prior to washing.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com