Thread: Haul Road Communications

Default Haul Road Communications

considering a trip up the haul road, can anyone give me an idea what communication options will be available on the road. I've read CB radio can be useful but is cell phone service available? I woud assume a satelite phone would work but i would just like to know what others have used. BTW, if I'm thinking about a CB radio is there a place in Wasilla that sells CB radios? thanks

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

cell phones pretty much stop at 34 mile elliott... CB or sat phone only...Wasilla Radio shack by cars has them ( cb )
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

CB radio on channel 19 will talk to trucks and the State D.O.T. guys.

No cell phone coverage until you get close to Deadhorse.

Payphones at Coldfoot .
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Reply

CB works great if anyone is around, cell service only in Deadhorse, sat phones work most the time in most the spots, sometimes they don't work though.

CB channel 19 ---Cell phone nope-----.

Quote Originally Posted by ESB View Post
    considering a trip up the haul road, can anyone give me an idea what communication options will be available on the road. I've read CB radio can be useful but is cell phone service available? I woud assume a satelite phone would work but i would just like to know what others have used. BTW, if I'm thinking about a CB radio is there a place in Wasilla that sells CB radios? thanks

CB Channel 19 going through the pass, but Sat phone is only real alternative.

Default CB

I went up there without a Cb on my rookie trip, NEVER again! Been going up the hull for some years now and use the CB every single time. Either telling a rig its clear to pass, a rig telling me he is coming around me, "oversize load" pilot trucks warning me to get off the road, and a few times the truckers...I repeat the trucker engaged me and gave insight to where they had been seeing animals. I have CB's mounted in both my rigs, but if your looking for the cheapest way to do it Wal-Mart has handheld units that have a reciever for an external antenna, they also carry the magnetic external antenna.

And you know Wal-Mart takes about anything back...just sayin

Good luck
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Iridium phone is the best choice....when I hunted moose in 2007 my Iridium batteries went dead after being up their for a month, so in turn I bought a phone card from Coldfoot and called home to check in every other day....

Default Is it still called...

CB? I thought everyone switched to VHF?

They use both Goalie. The company trucks have VHF, but good luck finding out what their channel is without an inside source. Hell, most truckers don't even know what the frequency is being used by their company. Everybody still uses a CB as backup and to communicate between trucking companies that don't necessarily know each other's frequency. On the main highways CB's are still common and the way to contact pilot cars and guys you don't know.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Vhf / cb

VHF is used as a primary for intra-company trucks. The frequencies are public knowledge and are available on the FCC database or any good scanner page. They have setup a few of their own freq's as well (without FCC approval) in the rigs.

Best bet is to go CB unless you can afford the VHF option and proper licenses. CB's are cheap (relatively speaking) and no license is required.

I utilize the VHF receiver in the truck since I have a 2m rig there. I carry a scanner to listen for the rigs as necessary. Haven't had any problems yet.

If you had an emergency, the pump stations have phones, radios, etc. When I worked up there, the pump stations didn't monitor CB channel 19. They switched the channel that they would monitor to the number of their station, so pump station 5 would monitor CB channel 5. So if you are near one of the stations and needed to talk to them try one of those channels. PS07 is the first one north of Fairbanks and PS01 is up in Prudhoe.