Thread: Moose Creek

Default Moose Creek

I am floating moose creek beginning off Petersville Road and being picked up in and transported back to the Deshka landing. Looking to float creek in mid May in hopes of finding and early season bear but more of a recon for an August float for bear, moose and some awesome fishing.

Any knowledge of water levels, hazards or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Goody

I have not floated the moose, but it's been on the to do list for awhile. I was also thinking of floating it this year for some early rainbow. I was told first week in June was the time to be on it. Don't know but will it be all open and ready by mid may? What are you going to float it with? Heard it's pretty slow and full of beaver ****s on the upper. Good rainbow on the upper part before the kings get in there or so I've heard.Have you got someone planned for your pickup? Water levels should be good in the spring but hear it gets pretty low sometimes in the fall. I'm guessing the biggest hazards would be the jet boats running up the Deshka. In May that shouldn't been no problem.
    Sounds like fun, and you very well might see your bear as they are there. If you do get this trip done in may I'd love to hear a report.

The times I've been to Moose and Kroto off of Oilwell that time of year they have been brown and fast and full (read blownout). Barring sweepers or new jams it would make for quick and easy floating.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Default Blownout?

Not sure exactly what you mean by blownout..... We'll definitely be playing with the trout while we are floating. We are locked and have the drop off and pick up coordinated or at least we think so...LOL. Still working small logistics. Most likely we'll use a 10' zodiak and a 14' soar. Floating the zodiac behind us with the gear just to see how it floats.... Just bought it.

We're anticipating the beaver dams and deadfall and of course dragging possibly in some areas.

I'll post a trip report once complete. Any additional information will be gladly appreciated. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goody View Post
    We'll definitely be playing with the trout while we are floating.
    hopefully Trouthead isn't correct, but there is a very good chance that he is...if the water is high and off color you won't be playing with many trout....

I floated it once during high water and it was 14 hours to mile 13 on the deshka....I floated it once during low water and it was 4 days to the same point...hopefully your pickup will be a little flexible on dates...

good luck and hopefully you'll find a bear if the fishing proves poor...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

"Floating the zodiac behind us with the gear just to see how it floats...."

Does this mean that you will be rowing/paddling while towing the Zodiac? Have you tried this before? I've never been able to make it work. The towed boat keeps trying to get ahead, and while it passes along side you can't paddle or row. Perhaps someone has a better solution, but it just got me frustrated. It might work of you tie them so that they very tightly fit end, but then you end up with a very long craft that wont turn well at all.

I'd give this a try in a river before committing to a real trip with it.

Default Interesting thoughts....

Definitely hope that we don't flow that fast or we'll be camping on the bank for several days in a row to delay the float due to sitting the date solid for pick up..... Also would kill all fishing opportunities if its high and muddy and flowing fast. I guess we'll see in a few weeks.

Really thougt Mike would have chimed in due to this being his specialty. Not looking for specific hot spot coordinates but would like some safety comments and a geneeral idea about what we're getting ready to encounter.

Interesting point on the two rafts and the headaches it could cause. Might just float with the soar and blueprint data for the august trip. Looking for a father son friendly trip for me and a good friend. Friends son is not bear friendly so we figured this would be a good trip for him to hopefully see some and understand that they aren't all out there to eat him....LOL

Thanks guys!

Default Been down it a few times....

PM coming your way.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    PM coming your way.
    Floated it for a moose hunt years ago. Seen a few sub-legal bulls, but not much moose for the most part. More black bears than anything and seen 4 wolves. Saw only 2 griz, didn't offer a shot. Not that bad a of a float. Rain and weather determines water level. Wasn't that bad when we did it. We chose a 5 day hunt and was able to do it in that timeframe. Don't be in a hurry and like was said before, have a flexible pickup date. Just go for it...

Default Don't forget about pike

Take along some tackle for fishing pike. Last time I floated it the water level was too high and fast for much trout fishing. Managed to pull a few pike out of the side sloughs. Was a solo float and I was in a 13' raft otherwise with a canoe or smaller craft I could have drug it over beaver dams and accessed alot more pike water.

FYI, Last summer around that same time on Kroto there was a guy who thought he would help himself to a friends canoe that was up on the bank, wich would have put him in a very sticky situation trying to walk out. Luckily he was spotted dissapearing around the corner and stopped. Also lucky for the theif there were small children involved.

Default Moose Creek-

Jim nailed it with trying to tow another boat behind your Zodiac. Unless you've done it before and are familiar with the difficulties, I wouldn't recommend it. You're better off putting someone in that boat and letting them row it.

Also I would not generally recommend a sportboat with a transom on any river where you could run into shallow water. Too easy to tear a floor by impacting the riverbed with that transom (it's the lowest part of the boat). You're better off with a couple of round boats, in my opinion.

As to the rest of it, these guys have it covered.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay