Thread: MIG Gas Mix For Long-Term Food Storage?

Default MIG Gas Mix For Long-Term Food Storage?

I've been reading that creating your own long-term food cache basically entails:
    -Get a low-moisture food product
    -Put it in an air-tight container
    -Keep all of the oxygen (which results in bugs, etc) out

I've got a MIG welder, which uses a 75% Argon, 25%CO2 mix that's designed to push oxygen away from the welding area. I know CO2 is used for food storage. Would the Argon + CO2 mix work as well?

Yes, it would. Though nitrogen works better. I'm not sure what the long-term application of argon might do. You could try it and then check in a few months as to the flavor and quality of some samples.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by groh_frog View Post
    I've been reading that creating your own long-term food cache basically entails:
    -Get a low-moisture food product
    -Put it in an air-tight container
    -Keep all of the oxygen (which results in bugs, etc) out

I've got a MIG welder, which uses a 75% Argon, 25%CO2 mix that's designed to push oxygen away from the welding area. I know CO2 is used for food storage. Would the Argon + CO2 mix work as well?
    it will mess with the taste of the food ..so stick to the items that been around for the long term food companys used ..

I guess the other option is to put a chuck of "dry ice" in the bucket, wait for it to dissolve, and seal the bucket with the CO2 left inside.