Thread: Recipe for Caribou backstraps/tenderloin

Default Recipe for Caribou backstraps/tenderloin

I have some caribou tenderloins in the freezer and am unsure what to do with them. I need a super tasty recipe that doesn't involve Liquid Smoke. Must be kid friendly. Husband is begging for me to make them but I don't want to ruin them either. Any ideas? Thanks!

Treat it like a pork tenderloin that you can prepare medium rare. You can add a bit of extra acid. Don't overcook. Internal temp of 130-135 should be perfect. Low heat, longer cook time.

Cheers and enjoy.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Take your loin and lay it out, cut thin butterfly steaks. Place these on a cutting board and cover with plastic and beat them with a meat mallet or other heavy object. Once they are nice and thin. Marinate them in your favorite spices, brown sugar, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. For at least a few hours better overnight. Best cooked on a grill, but a hot cast iron skillet will work also. Very kid friendly, and one of our favorite wild game recipes.

Enjoy

Steve

Steve, what time's dinner?
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I have some blacktail tenderloins that I may have to give the treatment to... Your welcome to dinner in the Squarebanks anytime Phish.

Cut into medallions, wrap with bacon and pin with a toothpick, cook on the BBQ until rare/medium rare, serve with taters and veggies.
    Or ship them to me and I'll do it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Take your loin and lay it out, cut thin butterfly steaks. Place these on a cutting board and cover with plastic and beat them with a meat mallet or other heavy object. Once they are nice and thin.
    I do this too, then I cover one side with salt and pepper, then a thin layer of cream cheese and I spread some roasted garlic clove over that. next, add a basil leaf or two and roll the whole thing up, then wrap it with bacon and grill it or broil it till its done. Serve with roasted potatos,a huge salad, and a nice tall stout.

You can do this with a roast too, but I usually let it soak in 7up overnight first.

The last one reminds me of another way I've made them as well. Again slice thin and beat out flat (the beating breaks down the proteins and tenderizes the meat) I coat the thin game meat with salt, pepper, garlic, and drizzle some olive oil. I layer on some prosciutto ham and asparagus and roll them into logs and secure with a tooth pick. Grill or broil until cooked to your desired level. I have added different cheeses as well, goat cheese, Parmesan, what ever you like. I like to drizzle some olive oil on top before cooking as well.
    Can be slices into very attractive wheels, awesome with a red wine reduction poured over the top, YUM, but a brown gravy would be nice as well.

Sorry about not listing measurements, I'm a man and cook with splashes and dashes...LOL

Served with either white rice, or dice some potatoes and tossed in your favorite oil.

Preheat over to 450, toss the diced oil coated potatoes with a pack or 2 of lipton onion soup mix. Spread out the potatoes in a shallow baking pan and cook until crispy. Always a big hit.

We like to have a quick spinach salad to go with it. Slice up some purple onions real thin, saute in some olive oil and crushed fresh garlic. Once the onions are tender and starting to caramelize, add some balsamic vinegar and and honey. Just bring it up to temp and pour over a bowl of fresh clean spinach leaves and toss.

Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 04-15-2010 at 11:40.

Thanks alot stid, I am officially hungry now.

Default kebobs

Cut into gristle-free bite sized pieces, wrap in bacon, and alternate on the stick: meat - onion - green pepper - mushroom.

Grill it is best or pan fry would work. High heat; try to make some burn marks on the outside before meat's inside is medium. Make a test cut into the thickest meat to verify this just before pulling from the heat.

And if you want to cinch the deal, brush the kebobs with a good marinade like Yoshida brand, and also cover with dusting of garlic powder, just before cooking and just after turning.

I'm a GravyAholic. I cut mine up in medalions also, cut out all gristle, lightly season with garlic salt and pan fry in hot olive oil to medium rare. Then I make a hunters gravy. Its a powder mix by McCormick called "Hunter Sauce" mix. The stuff is awesome. Follow the instruction about melting butter first, then adding the powder mix it into a ball absorbing all the butter then add water. I do the butter thing with all mixed gravy now. No clumps "EVER"!!!! Anyways, after I put it all in together and let in simmer until the meat is medium to medium well, depending on your preferance.

Tenderloins? The only way to mess them up is too cook too long. Just season as you like or use a simple marinade. Italian dressing makes a great marinade or just use a little garlic salt, some Rosemary and cajun spice. Tenderloin is the best of any animal. Just be very wary of the time spent on the grill. Enjoy and I wish I had your problems! LOL!