Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenetrek Mountain extreme or Meindl Alaskan hunters

Default Kenetrek Mountain extreme or Meindl Alaskan hunters

I'm looking to purchase a pair of high end leather insulated hunting boots for alpine use. I've narrowed it down to the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400 and Meindl Alaskan Hunter. Does anyone have experience with these boots. HAs anyone worn both and which do you recommend? Thanks for any info. Unfortunately there is no where close I can go and try on either of these boots.

I don't have any experience with the Meindls, but I've been wearing the Kenetrek's since they first came out and couldn't be happier. I started out with the Mountain Extremes and then switched to the Hardscrabble just because they're lighter weight. Both are great boots, it's really just a matter of personal preference if you want them higher or not. I've worn them on successful goat, sheep, caribou, moose, elk, and deer hunts and they've always performed great. My wife and I will both be wearing our Kenetreks this fall when she goes after her DCUA sheep.

I had a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400, they just did not fit my feet right. Sold them and bought a pair of Lowa Tibet Pro GTXs, the Lowas are great. Have several friends that wear them also, great boots for mountain hunting, carrying loads and side hilling.

Steve

Don't get Meindls, they don't last, and few people I know never had good experiences with them either. Wish I had a pic of mine after 1 hike in hunt, but I tossed them, I know they are cheap thru Cabelas but like they say......You get what you pay for, for leathers, get Lowas: sheephunters or Tibets. (like Stid said)............

I like Lowa Sheephunters (Hunter GTXs) cause they fit my feet better than the others I tried on. However, I know others that have used Mindels and other boots that have been more than happy. I'm heading into my 4th season of hunting with my Lowas and I wear them for goat, sheep, caribou, moose, and bear hunting. The tread is getting a little less than aggressive, but thats too be expected after 4 years IMO.

Best to try on several types of boot and find which brand fits your style of foot better. Me, obviously I'm a Lowas fit, but my wife finds La Sportivas work for her feet the best.

Scarpa
    Lowa
    La Sportiva
    Hanwag
    Meindl
    Asolo
    Kennetrek

All have great boots for mountain hunting, just start trying them on and see what your feet agree with. Good luck.

I had the complete opposite experience of Kahahawai... my Meindles have lasted several seasons not just hunting but ATV'ing, working in the woods and general crap use. They fit me better than Lowas or Kenetreks I tried on. Bottom line, each boot company uses a different last for their boots and you have to try them on to see if they fit your feet.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

My kenetreks fit great when new or dry and on regular ground. My problem is they get wet and stretch going up and down the mountain. On my goat hunt last year they stretched to the point that the eyelets were touching. I am going to change to superfeet insoles but even the ankle is support is starting to break down after 3 seasons on them so it may be time for new boots. I won't be buying kenetreks again, probably Lowas. I really want the Scarpa liskamm boots but until I draw a tag that doesn't make me hid 20 miles to get to the mountains the Lowa boots will be a better option I think.

Default Lowa's

For me. Meindl's don't fit me right at all.

I don't have experience with either, but I'm enjoying hearing everyone's thoughts on this as I think I'm also giving thought to a new pair of boots. I think my Danner Sierra's have reached the end of the road.

Maybe the point to take away from this is to try on both pairs, if possible, and see which boot fits you better. I know people who have been happy with Meindls and Kenetreks (although lately I've heard more gripes about teh Meindls... perhaps the Cabela's version).
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I would recommend that you buy which ever boot you like ASAP and start putting some miles on them, the more the better. Time after time I have seen hunters with their feet blistered and too sore to walk after only a few days of hunting because they failed to have quality, broke in footwear. Also get a quality pair of insoles and replace the ones that come in them. Your feet are what get you there and back, the best of everything else don't really matter if you back at camp with torn up feet.

JMHO

Steve

Talking

I had the same post kinda a couple days ago. I went with the Kenetrek Mountain. I had them on know for 2 day. Nice boots i very glad i got them. I can't believe that they don't hurt my feet at all breaking them. I think there worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    I had the same post kinda a couple days ago. I went with the Kenetrek Mountain. I had them on know for 2 day. Nice boots i very glad i got them. I can't believe that they don't hurt my feet at all breaking them. I think there worth the money.

I wish you the best of luck with your new boots. I would however get them wet, mine were great until they got wet and stretched so bad that even with the laces pulled tight and touching I still was unable to get them tight enough once they got wet. I don't know about you, but about the only time my boots are dry is right before I set off the plane. From then until I get back they are most often in some degree of dampness.

Good Luck

Steve

have had meindl's, and currently have kenetrek mountain extremes. The meindl sole seemed harder and lacked traction until it delaminated on the middle of the chilkoot trail. The kenetrek sole just seems to grab stuff and hang on the fit has been like a glove.

Quote Originally Posted by aktroller View Post
    have had meindl's, and currently have kenetrek mountain extremes. The meindl sole seemed harder and lacked traction until it delaminated on the middle of the chilkoot trail. The kenetrek sole just seems to grab stuff and hang on the fit has been like a glove.
    This is one area that a lot of guys seem to overlook. I have some Lowas Civetta plastics that I like but the sole is an "old fashioned" vibram sole. Not very sticky. I had some Salomon MtnLite boots and man, they had a real nice sticky sole the called ContraGrip. I finally wore em out. I just bought some LaSportivas and they seem to have a pretty sticky sole. Time will tell.

I tried on the Cabelas Meindl and the Kenetrek and my feet preferred the Kenetrek. Usually boot eyelets lace up close together on me so I ended up using a second insole from Smartwool in mine. Seems to work fine and makes it easier to dry out at night. I only have one season on mine, but so far I love them.

Default limmers

Look into Limmers before you buy anything.

Default Meindl

Mine fit like latex gloves. I have never had a better fitting boot. Only one sheep hunt on them and they were excellect. I wear them for many other hunting activities, they are great.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

has anyone had kennetreks resoled?

This is the first pair of boots where I have managed to take good enough care of the leather uppers that they have outlasted the sole.

I solve the stretching problem by thoroughly treating the leather every couple of weeks with the leather and snoseal very warm. This allows it to deeply penetrate the leather, often I apply it twice in a row, keep the boots nice and warm above a coil heater or in fron of the toyo.

Then I let them cool for several days. If you really penetrate the leather with the snoseal then it will not absorb nearly as much moisture when walking and the boots won't stretch as much. Sounds like you guys may have bought kennetreks that are a bit big for your feet? Mine are nice and tight (almost too tight) upon first putting them on to account for the inevitable stretching. Putting an extra pair of socks in your pocket may help account for this.

I haven't noticed my kennetreks stretch any more than any other boots with all leather uppers. Mine are 8 inch I think, not the tall ones as those were incredibly uncomfortable trying them on so I use la sportivas with a nubuck upper for my true alpine boots.

Would never buy boots online without trying them on in a store. REI has 100% satisfaction policy so they get most of my boot/shoe business, as the obnoxious characteristics sometimes wait a few weeks to show up.

Default Got them both wear them both but...

My Meindls were not from Cabelas as they only go to size 14. I've used Meindls on three sheep hunts and they need to be resoled, tough boots. My Kenetreks do have better traction and are more comfortable. A couple of weeks ago while hiking the dome the bottom eyelet pulled through. I called Kenetrek and they said this is only the second time this has ever happened. They said they would repair them and refund my shipping costs to get it back to them. Their cobbler called me this week and they are in the mail. He said they resole Kenetreks for 85$ and Meindls for 90$. I will be using Kenetreks this year (DS102). Overall I would recommend Kenetreks over Meindls because they have better traction. They stick better.

I wear brownings. theyr great for sidehillin, goin up rocks, lightweight but warm enough if it gets cold, have lasted me 2 years now on all different kinds of hunts....affordable, good tread and they never hurt my feet breakin them in...ive also used em for all kinds of work situations....still got another season left id figure.

Release Lake Trout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast