Thread: Elmendorf Moose

Default Elmendorf Moose

Anyone got any advice or stories? I drew the DM428, Sept 8-30 Any Bull.
    Much appreciated!

Thumbs up

Shoot me an email and I would be happy to fill you in.

occb@gci.net

Default Dm428

I got drawn for this too, very excited should be a good hunt.

Default There's a few out there.

I ran the road on the midnight shift the last 2 seasons. I saw cow's a lot but only one big bull. When I say big, he was the biggest I have ever seen. It was later in the season and there was snow on the ground. He was out near lower six mile lake by the air strip. First time and last time I ever saw a legal bull on Elmo. I'm sure they're there, you'll just have to explore some. Good luck!

Default Definately Here

They are definately on Elmo....If you are willing to walk some of the trails in the more remote parts...You should be in for a great hunt.

You CANNOT afford to be picky on this hunt. If a bull steps to within comfortable shooting range -- SHOOT IT. I doubt very seriously you will get more than one shooting opportunity.

These bulls have heard and seen it all. Do more raking than vocalizing. They know who their neighbors are and will recognize that you are not one of them.

Hunt hard and often and you will be successful. Again, don't be picky.

Taylor

Default elmo moose

I have seen a HUGE bull on the back side of Elmo before as well. I have seen a ton of cows but seldom bulls. I have seen more bulls though on the Fort Rich side than on Elmos. Make sure you follow the rules on Elmo. Check in and out at the Boniface gate visitors center as well. Also if you get a bull there are special rules that apply to where you fell the fellow. Base wild life will want specifics on where you shot him at (location of site and where your hit him) they will also ask for the lower jaw bone as well, if the rules haven't changed over the year. I would recommend thrashing as well....these moose know their neighbors well.....the remote side of base is a very good place to start.....last year during the season I saw a few bulls hanging over by the Hillberg Ski area....may be a good place to start Good luck!!

I saw a huge bull out there back in early December, right on the road near six-mile lake....wish I had my camera, he would easily go 60" or more....also saw one other small bull too before that.

Default Moose

Had this permit several years ago, had a blast. I was picky and passed up several bulls before I shot my bull. Most were all about the same size 35"-45". I did hunt well off the road and trails. When I shot mine I had 3 different bulls coming into the raking and grunts at the same time! Most exciting moose hunt I've had. I hunted in the back by the tower and walked game trails way back in. I killed my bull just over a mile from the truck. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I saw a huge bull out there back in early December, right on the road near six-mile lake....wish I had my camera, he would easily go 60" or more....also saw one other small bull too before that.

Man I would give anything to be able to say that in 4 months and 15 days! Only to add "at 30 yards" after the Near six mile lake part!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page