Thread: New Fly Shop in Fairbanks

Default New Fly Shop in Fairbanks

I swung by Big Rays in town today and found out that they are setting up a fly shop in the basement. They already had some stuff out and it was real quality stuff like sage rods and reels, ross, tfo, and redington. Only a few flies out but he said once he gets the display case in they will have thousands of hand tied flies. The flies they had out were some early season type dries and nymphs. I picked up a few and they are pretty nice. Just thought everyone would like to know since if you are like me, you are tired of going online or settling for SW.

Default Interesting and GFM

Good for Monte sounds like they bought Howies stuff. They have always had something give or take a few things. I know they use to carry a lot of items mid line. I hope they do well.

Thanks for sharing eh!

Wow! That's Cool, I hope they do well also, it was sad to see the Fly Shop close.

I will have to check them out next time I come "home"

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Local fly shops...

Good news for flyfishers up FBX way. There's something about a dedicated local fly shop that IMO the big box stores don't do as well. I usually find the "fish talk", including local advice, better in small shops.

The Alaska Fly Shop was a great one, which I got to shop a few times before they closed last year. Sounds like the new shop will have good gear and fly options...along with the great local advice typical of small, dedicated businesses. Excellent news. Support local fly shops.

Default Super

That's great news, Fairbanks needs a dedicated fly shop. It was too bad that Howie closed up shop, I liked going in there. I'll have to stop by Big Ray's and check it out, thanks for the information.

thats awesome im going there today

If anyone from Big Ray's is on this forum I think this free advertising is at least worth a switch rod on the house.

Can't blame a guy for trying.

***applause***

hurray for local fly shops!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Shop Visit

I just stopped in and checked out what they had in stock and chatted with JR. They have a great selection of Sage Rods and TFO's already on display. Lots of Sage, Redington, and Ross reels in the case too. There was a variety of Sage and FishPond packs, vests, and bags. There was also a pretty good choice of flylines on the wall in most all line weights. They should have their big fly display case next week and have all of the flies out on the floor. I looked through the list of flies they have in stock and it's pretty impressive. JR said that if there are patterns that guys are searching for, they can order them. They're planning to get the Simm's line of items as well as Patagonia stuff. I asked about fly tying material's, but he said they weren't planning to carry those items. No worries though, it'll be the best and only fly-shop in town besides Sportman's for now.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Wow! That's Cool, I hope they do well also, it was sad to see the Fly Shop close.

I will have to check them out next time I come "home"

Fish On!
    Yeah, me too.
    Now what ?

Default Just Talk to Monte at the Show Yesterday

Told him about the Forum mentioned Woodman's idea sorry I don't think it will happen for you about the Switch Rod. Hopefully he will grab a forum sponsorship or banner advertisement to promote the store.

He said they have more and more items coming in with additional display cases and hopes to maintain a dedicated fly shop in the store.

Big Ray's has a lot going on in the state and sporting goods in Fairbanks has IMO always been more of a nice thing and not a make or break thing for them. It would be nice though if we could keep a good thing going with them to maintain a reasonable fly shop in Fairbanks ran be good people.

Good to hear, have to drop by there this week. Now if we could only get them to carry replacement stormtrooper armor pieces.....
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Told him about the Forum mentioned Woodman's idea sorry I don't think it will happen for you about the Switch Rod. Hopefully he will grab a forum sponsorship or banner advertisement to promote the store.

He said they have more and more items coming in with additional display cases and hopes to maintain a dedicated fly shop in the store.

Big Ray's has a lot going on in the state and sporting goods in Fairbanks has IMO always been more of a nice thing and not a make or break thing for them. It would be nice though if we could keep a good thing going with them to maintain a reasonable fly shop in Fairbanks ran be good people.
    Thanks anyway for mentioning it to him. I had no hope of it working. At least now I have a place I can go and look at a switch rod and ponder purchasing it.

Good news indeed!

Default Nice!

Awesome now I won't have to order my flies through Riverbum!. I picked up a slew of nice dry flies last week for some grayling action. Thinking about hitting a nice open patch on the Chena this week It will be my first actual fly fishing experience! Can't wait...

Sapper in the Skies