Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: skiff/boat rental

Default skiff/boat rental

Anybody know where I can rent a skiff or small boat for dipnetting the Kenai?
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I know that Kenai Riverbend Resort has rental boats on the lower Kenai River. I am drawing a blank on any other boat rental folks that are located on the Lower Kenai even though I know that there are several others. Anyway, good luck.

Thanks, Iceblue. I'll try to work something out with them.

Phish Why do you want to dip from a boat. I know they do well and I've done it and had fun. I still like to get in the water and dip from shore. Lots of people any more, but with the boats I've seen it take an hr or more to launch and that much time to get back out with all the people in their boats. Some times I don't think they do much better than those that know how to do it from shore. Just wondering? Andrew

I'm with PD... there is no advantage to using a boat. When you factor in all the cons to dipping from a boat, I think you end up way ahead with chest waders.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

When I finished my boat I was all stoked about the idea of dipping from the boat, so I asked friends who did so what the deal was about launching/retrieving. When they told me about taking 2 hours to launch a boat, and worrying about people crashing their boats into yours, I said forget it.

Last year dipping from the shore from the time we got to the N shore lot, to the time we left the lot was 3 hours, and we had 46 fish. Didn't have to burn extra gas hauling the boat down, didn't have a goat rope at the boat launch, and I caught as many fish as I wanted.

I love dipping the kenai, but I can't see any advantage to using a boat, though many disadvantages.

I did the 'goat-rope' at the city ramp only once. There are lots of other ramps on the river, I haven't had to wait yet, and I like driving my boat. That's one of the reasons I bought it.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

We camped for a couple of days at the Kasilof last year. Some friends were down there dipping. The kids love playing on the beach.

I drove by the Kenai 3 times. The charlie foxtrot on the beach left me with the urge to break out the fly rod and head to the upper river.

I haven't dipped from shore yet. I would be more apt to try it if I went with someone else.

As for why I want to dip from a boat, well, I'm a squid. We like boats

Default Yup dipping by boat just Sucks

All you guys need to go back to the beach cause that wait at the Kenai dock is sooo long in and out. The river is crowded and boats crash into each other all the time The beach is more safe too.
    I'll wave as I drive by!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Thumbs up Boat Dippin

I'm with .338-06 on this one I like to launch up river and drive down. that is if you have a boat that is legal to do so. not always neccessary on weekdays. last year it was maybe a 10 minute wait at the city ramp when we went.
    we got @ 36 fish in 3-4 hours and that was all we needed so we left.
    I gave up on the crowds on the beach years ago. I have had more fun from the boat.
    With the right nets ( you don't need super long handles or the full 5' hoops from a boat) and the right boat it works out real well. We go out in a 20' Lund Alaskan with a Johnson 50hp 4-stroke. We run two dipnets from Mikes welding witch I believe have 46" hoops. The way these are made the hoop is made from tapered Aluminum and with the net properly tied off to the bow you can hold these nets upright with one finger, although, you should hold on firmly with both hands while dipping.
    We usually only have 2 people dipping and The DRIVER DOES NOTHING BUT DRIVE THE BOAT. We do not let the driver handle any nets or fish while we are out.Have had some close calls but they were never our fault and the driver was always able to avoid any issues. You do have to have an experienced boat driver.
    We usually go out midweek when it is less crowded.
    One of my friends is disabled and he is fine just running the boat while me and his son do the dipping. He would not be able to do the shore thing and his son is only 10 and not really capable to shore dip either.
    I also dip with my mom and dad and my mom loves to dip and dad likes to run the boat.
    This is what works for us. To each his own I guess.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Phish... open invite for dipping from the bank at Kasilof during the last week of June for the early run (don't expect huge action). I'd be happy to show you the ropes. (You bring the beer) That leaves you with the end of July for figuring out what you're going to do for the late run.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Phish... open invite for ... the last week of June.
    I appreciate the offer and would take you up on it but we'll be at the island in Ontario. My in-laws (outlaws) celebrate their anniversary at the end of June and the laker fishing starts to heat up (that means the beer is cold and the sun is warm).

I'd definately like to hook up for a few beer at some point during the summer.

There is still a chance I'll need to go fishing during the last couple weeks of July. I tend to stay away from big crowds, but we did just hang a new 4-stroke on the skiff last fall. Might be game for hitting the lower Kenai once, as long as it is mid-week. Otherwise it will be waders on the Kasilof north bank. It's all tenative as there's a chance I may get roped into an OT shift at the end of July...
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Skiff use on the Kenai

We use a small skiff on the Kenai between the bridge and the point across from the old cannery. The boat and motor are small enough for launching right off the bank. We stay away from the scene across from the city dock.

Results are as follows:

~tr

Phish - We've done very well dipping during the week right around July 14th the last two years. Both times it was before the crush of people, and both times we caught as many fish as we could possibly want within a few short hours. I'll let you know when we're heading down this year. The more the merrier, especially with the kids on the beach.

For crowded beach conditions, this is what it looked like:

Although I've never dipnetted from the bank, I like th flexibility of fishing from a boat. I also, just love to be on a boat. If you get a hot spot you can circle back and if not so hot, you can move to different parts of the river. The constant change of scenery is also nice. I stay away from the bumper car situation and go early to launch. The only downside for me, or should I say my wife is the bathroom thing. She is will not do the coffee can squat so we have to go to shore. I use to snub my nose at dipnetters until I got introduced to dipping with a coworker nick named Lizzard and his brother the Proffessor ( Slopedotna Locals) about 6 years ago. What a hoot that was. I never laughed so hard in my life that day. Now, my family is addicted to dipping from a boat. Unfortuately, I don't have a 4 stroke motor now since I sold my Jetcraft last spring, so I have to rely on my brother in law to take me out. That part sucks. I need to find a 20-30 hp 4 stroke at a good price to go on my wifes 14' Skiff.

JOAT and Brian, please let me know.

Brian, the pics of your trip down bear no resemblance to what I saw down there. Are you sure that's the Kenai?

Default phish finder

That picture of Brian and his better half was photocropped, couldn't you tell? He just cropped out all the other dippers. A good software and you can make almost any photo believable!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I have seen days like that but they are usually not that common.
    Just like the days we have had from a boat when it was not that crowded either.
    Being able to go mid-week helps a lot. If at all possible avoid the weekends as that is the busiest time.
    One might also inquire here before you plan a trip and for some gas money you may be able to line up a forum member willing to take you out. Just a thought.
    Chico99645 I also love just being out on a boat. I can't see myself going back to shore diping anytime soon.
    There are advantages and disadvantagess to each style just like the difference in dipnets. We all have our preference.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I don't have a problem with crowded days on the Kenai, I'd rather be there when the fish are running strong and there are 1000 people, then have the place to myself with no fish to be had. I also prefer to go mid-week, though it'll still be crowded if the run has hit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast