Thread: youth moose hunt, any opinions?

Default youth moose hunt, any opinions?

my 12 yr old daughter drew the lucky tag for the youth hunt in delta junction. i was wondering if some forum members had any helpful ideas to share about this hunt. also opinions about if .243win is big enough. anyone know any historical or insightful hunting knowledge that would improve her experience? so far i checked and we will be mailed a permit to cover 4 days btwn sep4 and 30 sometime. she must wear hunter orange and can legally take spike, fork, 50 or a cow w/o calves. anything would be a trophy for her. i haven't been to the panoramic field but will have time to look it over in june. if anyone has any helpful advice or opinions i'd sure appreciate anything to help make her hunt a spectacular experience.

.243 will get the job done as long as she is comfortable with it and can make a good shot, maybe a .270 would be better is she is accustomed to shooting and you have one, I bought a .270 wsm for my son to use when he gets a little older, it has a limbsaver recoil pad and a muzzle break, felt recoil is really light.

Did a Delta cow hunt in 2007, perhaps the easiest moose I will ever go on. Left the motel at 6 am, went and had breakfast, began driving into hunting area around 730, and moose down by 8. 100 yards off the road. They were LOTS of moose around. Lots. I haven't been up there since then but I would imagine you guys won't have too much trouble finding a legal moose for you. That .243 in the boiler room will do just fine.
    Last edited by pike_palace; 04-14-2010 at 17:13. Reason: added info
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Lots of moose in the youth hunt area. Recommend you come and scout a bit prior to hunting season though. The numbers of moose out there are pretty phenomanal at times- you might have to sort a few out though before you find one you want.

The moose are in a pretty popular area and most are accustomed to human presence so getting close isn't usually a big problem. A .243 in the lungs will work and there isn't much water out there for them to fall into. I'd make range work a priority this summer and talk about shot placement and shot angle until she says it in her sleep...

I'd still try a more potent rifle if she can manage it though.

The Panoramics are pretty big, but there are lots of moose in there. I would suggest bringing bikes and possibly rig up a trailer for yours to help haul out the loads. It will be off limits to motorized vehicles.

Be there at first light. When we were hunting bison last October, the moose were everywhere first thing in the morning, but few and far between the rest of the day.

I had planned for my neice to use the .243 if she drew that permit. I think it is plenty of gun, just make sure she gets lots of practice with it.

Congrats to her on winning the draw!!!

I know many on here knock them but if you have access to a semi-auto 308 it may work well for her. The recoil on many semi-auto guns is considerably less. A little more weight to carry but much more enjoyable to shoot for a smaller shooter. My son weighs 50 lbs and enjoys shooting my ptr 91. My wife had a ruger compact 7mm-08 and has decided she is stealing my ptr 91 instead. Fast easy follow up shots, cheap practice ammo.

Default Buy Shooting Sticks

I took my 11 year old a few years back on a youth hunt and the best thing I got him was a solid rest. We looked at several different kinds and finally bought the kind that has two legs and a fold out rest that is about 12 inches long. We bought it at the gun shop on Muldoon in Anchorage. It took some practice but he was a much better shot with a solid rest.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKHUNTINFOOL View Post
    I took my 11 year old a few years back on a youth hunt and the best thing I got him was a solid rest. We looked at several different kinds and finally bought the kind that has two legs and a fold out rest that is about 12 inches long. We bought it at the gun shop on Muldoon in Anchorage. It took some practice but he was a much better shot with a solid rest.
    agreed my kids all use sticks.. i cheaped on them and bought ONE $4.00 2x2 from the lumber yard cut in two peices to the length i needed for the kids and put a bolt through them about 10 inches down and a short peice of broken bungee strap across the top so the [ X ] does not open to far.. it weighs about 3 lbs easy to run with and stable. i look often at some of the others and for $60-$70 bucks can build a few...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I work with my wife and boys using a pack or some other rest when they shoot. Something that they will have in the field. The ptr is on the heavy side but very compact, maneuverable and almost no recoil in a 30 cal rifle. Using a tactical sling it is very easy to carry around. It is always handy and I can use both hands to climb or assist my family while still having it accessible.

You will see lots of moose in the panoramic fields at a long distance. Look them over with a spotting scope as you can miss spikes with binos I know we did, ended with a nice little fork that looked like a cow with binos. It's a fun hunt good luck and good walking.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

My Son Drew this Tag in 2008 when he was 12. He hunted the Gerstle field Last weekend of season. Lots and Lots of Moose in the Oat fields in early Mornings. You will need to make sure if you shoot a cow that she dose not have calf ther are lots of calfs with cows. We saw over 200 Moose one morining. Son shot a nice big fat cow witha 30-06 using a camera tripod I modified for a rest. 165 Corelock bullet did its job well. A wheeled cart like the ones used by deer hunters worked well to pack the animal out. If you want further info send me a PM AKSPT

Default much thanx

i really appreciate the feedback. my daughter is very excited after reading some of the numbers of moose seen comments. i will look in to the bike trailer idea, that sounds very helpful. also will try her out on shooting sticks. i'll keep checking this post if there are any more helpful comments. thanx again!

Default Gerstle vs. panoramic

Quote Originally Posted by akspt View Post
    My Son Drew this Tag in 2008 when he was 12. He hunted the Gerstle field Last weekend of season. Lots and Lots of Moose in the Oat fields in early Mornings. You will need to make sure if you shoot a cow that she dose not have calf ther are lots of calfs with cows. We saw over 200 Moose one morining. Son shot a nice big fat cow witha 30-06 using a camera tripod I modified for a rest. 165 Corelock bullet did its job well. A wheeled cart like the ones used by deer hunters worked well to pack the animal out. If you want further info send me a PM AKSPT
    My son and I headed up for this hunt in 2 days. Any recomendation on which field is better hunting or walking? thxs, Dave

When my boy drew this hunt 10yrs ago we watched where the moose entered and left the fields on scouting days. Then in the middle of the day we set up ground blinds with good shooting "rails". A small hand saw and 10ft of camo burlap went a long way. We hunted Panoramic and you should have multiple opportunities. This was one of the most memorable hunts I have ever been on. BEST OF LUCK-------- ENJOY!
    RASTUS