Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Cooking Grease? How old is too old?

Default Used Cooking Grease? How old is too old?

Hi guys,
    I've been hunting bears for a number of years now and I was wondering if used cooking grease gets too old? I have a couple 5 gallon buckets from last year and I was wondering if I should use it. Thank you

Default If you are...

Not eating it, what do you care? the bears should or would not be complaining
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I don't think a bear cares about an expiration date.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

We've used 55 gallons drums of the "old" stuf from KFC that had been sitting around for I bet 10 years before we used it.

Peyton,
    Can you identify bear scat in the area after putting that out?
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Tuttu, I think its probably no good. I know a place I can dispose of it for you. I'll swing by and grab it....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

LOL most veggie oils are one molecule away from being Plastic in the first place... i have a 55 gallon drum from the lodge chicken dinners i have been using 4 years now and its still same as it was when i got it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    Peyton,
    more importantly.. can you identify YOUR scat after Bob fries your eggs in it?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I understand the lure of the oil but if it gets in the soil you have to pack all that dirt out. Many options that do not require it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diashan View Post
    I understand the lure of the oil but if it gets in the soil you have to pack all that dirt out. Many options that do not require it.
    That depends on how you use it and how you set your bait up.

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    Peyton,
    Yea....really runny and a lot of it!

Mix in some barley and it's actually tough to find sometimes because it blends in with the ground....it's like they poo brown oatmeal.

Default Thanks guys

I just wanted to double check.
    About using grease, I've used almost everything to bait bears, and in conclusion I've come to the point of getting the easiest and cheapest materials to feed them. Once you have a couple sites that are getting hit hard, it's easy to go through 200-300 lbs of food a week. I once had a site where I was carrying 100 lbs of dog (food twice a week). We had up to 10 bears on one station.
    I like the simple baiting strategy. Dog food and grease. I use bait barrels to make the bait last longer and to keep the grease out of the dirt. Anyways, thank you for the reinsurance. I'll be using my old grease this weekend.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Tuttu View Post
    I just wanted to double check.
    About using grease, I've used almost everything to bait bears, and in conclusion I've come to the point of getting the easiest and cheapest materials to feed them. Once you have a couple sites that are getting hit hard, it's easy to go through 200-300 lbs of food a week. I once had a site where I was carrying 100 lbs of dog (food twice a week). We had up to 10 bears on one station.
    I like the simple baiting strategy. Dog food and grease. I use bait barrels to make the bait last longer and to keep the grease out of the dirt. Anyways, thank you for the reinsurance. I'll be using my old grease this weekend.
    Chuck
    Well, we can attest to that....we just picked up 2500 pounds of barley to mix with 600 gallons of grease before we even get to the dog food...for at least 5 baits (8 total) with no less than 30 different bears on each one. Yea...they eat us out of house and home....Cheaper is better

Default $$$$$

I hate to hear is such tuff economic time that you fellas are having to go through so much bait. It must be killing your budget! 10 bears on a bait, have they no class?

In an effort to ease your financial burden, I would be willing to sit aside some of my valuable time and assist with the eradication of one of your bigger bears. I only offer to take one of the bigger bears in an attempt to relieve the highest demand on your strained bait stock. Smaller bears eat less so I donít feel I would be doing you any great favor by shooting a small bear.

Just pm me and I will be there, I am just trying to do my part until the stimulus check arrives.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by borderblue1 View Post
    I hate to hear is such tuff economic time that you fellas are having to go through so much bait. It must be killing your budget! 10 bears on a bait, have they no class?

In an effort to ease your financial burden, I would be willing to sit aside some of my valuable time and assist with the eradication of one of your bigger bears. I only offer to take one of the bigger bears in an attempt to relieve the highest demand on your strained bait stock. Smaller bears eat less so I donít feel I would be doing you any great favor by shooting a small bear.

Just pm me and I will be there, I am just trying to do my part until the stimulus check arrives.
    Dude...I'm rolling...that is the best, funniest and most original offer I have ever heard! You would be amazed how many friends you get before baiting starts...but that was good. We would blind fold you getting there...but you might end up with us

Default thanks

this wil be my first year baiting. I hit the wal-mart to buy dog food. I thought I might be over doing it buying 400 lbs but after reading your post, I am not sure what I am going to do.

It was kinda funny when the guy at wal mart ask how many dog I had and I said one. He then looked at me with a shocked look and said "What kind" I truthfully answered a weiner dog and just walked away. I would be willing to bet that guy is still scrathing his head.

Good luck this year.

Borderblue1 I will have to tell the checker at Fred Meyers I also have a dachshund next time she asks when I check out with six 50 pound bags, can't wait to see the look on her face. AK145 and I normally go through 30 to 40 bags a years so they pretty much know us by now.

Default Got it

Sounds like you guys hit it hard. I am going to have one bait as this is my first year baiting. I have done spot and stock in Washington, but never done the bait thing. I cant wait. Going to hike my stuff out this weekend and hope for the best.

Thanks to the forum members, I think I have a good idea of what to look for in a spot ot hunt and have done a lot of looking around. I have picked a spot and will hit it hard and hope for the best.

Good hunting and better times.

Default borderblue1

Too funny. I like it. You should have brought the dog in with you when you got the food.
    Anybody seen anything cheaper than $12.99/50lb bag? That is about as good as I have seen it, and that is at Freddy M's at one bag per customer.
    I like the plastic bags better but you pay a bit more.

I used to feed several thousand pounds of bread and scraps every year but that got to be too much work. I like small holes and keeping them a bit hungry. Easier on the pocket book too.

30 per bait...**** Peyton, that dancing jig you do must really work, care to teach it I'm lucky if I get ONE LOL Have yet to shoot a black bear ever, though I havent hunted them for the last 5 years now doing the charter gig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast