Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 458 Win Mag conversion....

Default 458 Win Mag conversion....

Anyone have any experience or recommendations for a gunsmith in Anchorage that has done the conversion to a 458 Lott? Thanks in advance

What is your base rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    What is your base rifle?
    Winchester M70 Safari Classic

Is it a 375 or a 458? It will be much easier if it is a 375 action.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Is it a 375 or a 458? It will be much easier if it is a 375 action.
    It's a 458. Looked at having my 375 H&H done but decided against due to the cost of having it rebarreled.

Lot more work to do it on a 458...the Kid shall chime in I'm sure hes a 458 freak

Default Lot more work?

Why would it be "a lot more work" on a .458 Classic?

I thought all the pre-FN Mdl 70 Classics were on the same long action - just knock out the magazine box spacer, take the block off the extractor collar, and cut the ejector back a bit to handle the longer cartridges. with a barrel swap the conversion of my .300 Win Mag to .375 H&H took only this simple work - I did it all in my garage with simple hand tools.

For a .458 Win Mag to .458 Lott add a bit of re-chambering work.

Am I missing something here - help me out?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Lot more work to do it on a 458...the Kid shall chime in I'm sure hes a 458 freak
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I'd be interested to know the finer details of why the H&H is easier...

If it is a classic it should be as easy as a rechamber and a box change. The bolt stop will need some attention as well, but all in all it is fairly easy.

I could probably crank it out for you in a relatively short time, as long as I can get time to hop on it pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    If it is a classic it should be as easy as a rechamber and a box change. The bolt stop will need some attention as well, but all in all it is fairly easy.

I could probably crank it out for you in a relatively short time, as long as I can get time to hop on it pretty soon.
    Sounds good to me..I'll shoot you a PM and see what we can do.

The Kid has spoken!

.458 Lott = wellcome to recoil lke you never known before.

What in the world makes anyone want to have that kind of trouble in their life?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

[QUOTE=Big Al;713722].458 Lott = wellcome to recoil lke you never known before.

I already have a Lott in a CZ but need (fine line between need and want) one in my beloved Model 70.

A tenderized shoulder helps me sleep at night...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    .458 Lott = wellcome to recoil lke you never known before.

What in the world makes anyone want to have that kind of trouble in their life?
    I have to agree with Al here, I am perfectly content with my Win Mag version. Besides if I were to do the conversion to mine I would stamp it 450 Watts, just for Alaska's sake.

I guess this question is for Kid or TVFINAK.

Are you guys getting 375 H&H or Lott conversions to work on a standard 70 long action without cutting the rear bridge down to the narrow express type?

Thanks

I did this conversion on a Interarms a while back and now I am kicking myself for not just leaving it alone. No real problem with the cartridge, gun, etc. I just would have been happy with the .458 Win. I ended up with a 450 Ackley Mag that is taking up my time now and the Lott is relegated to the shelf.

Default Long Mdl 70 actions

The Winchester Classic actions are longer than the pre-64 actions so you don't need all the work - like the shorter bridge - that was required on the early actions. The pre-64 actions were sized around the .30-06 length cartridge so Winchester had to go to some measures to fit the .375 length rounds in. The Classic actions were designed for the longer magnums so Winchester had to add spacers etc. for the shorter cartridges. It is much easier to remove these to lengthen a pre-64 action.

Not sure about the length of the FN made guns - has anyone fooled with one of those yet?

Quote Originally Posted by aklefty View Post
    I guess this question is for Kid or TVFINAK.

Are you guys getting 375 H&H or Lott conversions to work on a standard 70 long action without cutting the rear bridge down to the narrow express type?

Thanks
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

The beauty of the lott is you don't have to load it all the way up, you can load it to original 458 win mag specs, run lower pressure, and not have to worry about finding a magic power to push 500's 2100 fps. The lott really wasn't designed to push 500's faster than 2100 fps, it was designed to do what the 458 win mag had trouble doing with powders in the 70's. But of course people just have to push things.

Run 350's over a dose of RL7 @ 2400-2500 fps and it's a *****cat.

I'VE GOT A LONG ACTION PRE-64 SETTING ON THE BENCH NOW. I got a hold of a fellow that would build me a stock chrome moly barrel and have the original stamping put on and chamber the .458 lott. Then I got to thinking what on earth was I going to use it for that one of my many
    .375H&H's wouldn't work on? Still have the action not barreled. Now if one of you folks got a pre-64 M-70 barrel around in .375H&H the shop, I know where you can find a new home for it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default .375 barrel

I've got a pre-64 .375 H&H barrel that was re-chambered to .375 Weatherby and chrome lined by Weatherby. I've been looking for a long pre-64 action to put it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I'VE GOT A LONG ACTION PRE-64 SETTING ON THE BENCH NOW. I got a hold of a fellow that would build me a stock chrome moly barrel and have the original stamping put on and chamber the .458 lott. Then I got to thinking what on earth was I going to use it for that one of my many
    .375H&H's wouldn't work on? Still have the action not barreled. Now if one of you folks got a pre-64 M-70 barrel around in .375H&H the shop, I know where you can find a new home for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast