Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear Baiting Scents

Lightbulb Bear Baiting Scents

I am beginning early and looking forward to Spring. More supplies are growing everyday. This year I am looking into some new scents. In the past I have used: the rotten turkey; cooking oil; beaver pieces; honey burn; grease burns. Has anyone used any of the commercial products? Any recommendations? I have learned alot my first 2 years of bear baiting. I shot one bear my first year and watched a few this year waiting for that big one. Now I am looking for something new to use on them.

thanks

Default bear scents

Try this site listed below. I am going to order a scent ball this spring. I heard they work awesome. They are supposed to last 3 months. Bacon and blueberry flavors are supposed to be the best.

http://www.bearscents.com/scentball.html

One thing that worked for us a few years ago was getting some vanilla and anise extract and spraying that all over the area where your bait is. Get one of the big spray bottles and I think we used 1 little anise to the rest vanilla. Buy the vanilla at sams or a similar place.

Default PM

Bearslayer - I sent you a PM.

Hey TRKYHunter, if you have any info regarding this subject could you PM me too?
    I was also planning on using one of these balls this spring.
    Thanks....
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Please Pm me also I was going to use one this year also

Default Bears

Last year was a lot of fun. We tried a marshmallow burn with raspberry jello mixed in, bacon grease, hamberger grease, water from the boiled shrimp, peanuts.

Usually the bears came right in and headed to the dog food ignoring everything else. A paper towel soaked in bacon grease sat there for three days before something took it.

Two years ago a hot item was popcorn with raspberry jello sprinkled on it as soon as it came out of the pan. Burnt a hot air popper right up too. The bears ate that immediately and it is a lot lighter to carry than dog food.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Popcorn

I was seriously considering popcorn this year. Can't believe I forgot to mention that. I figured it was light like you said. Great idea.

Default Just don't

Just do not take it from the popper and put it into a plastic bag hot. If you do you might end up with a bunch of little unpopped size holes in the bag.

Experience is the best teacher.

I picked up a spray bottle of the hickory scented spray from this outfit... http://www.bearscents.com

They had it stocked in Anchorage at the gun/knife shop on 4th if I remember right.

I sprayed it down the trail and on a small tree which was then severly molested by a grizzly....I didn't use it after that, but they have a number of other scents available.
    I also bougth anise OIL-not extract, and mixed it with vegetable oil--shook it like crazy and sprayed that too.
    I shot a medium blackie, but since I tried every trick I could think of, I'll have to repeat them exactly again next year.......whatever works I suppose.

A couple of years back my buddy from tx brought up some blueberry scent (looked like potpourie). bears werent even interested. Brought in the moose though (???). We ended up using it in pancakes. tastes great and no-one got sick <grins>

Now we just use chocolate syrup. Keeps the bears on scene and they love it.

Powder cherry flavor jello mix and water over a burner..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

if you are hunting in the fall go to a seafood processer and get some humpys
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs down Illegal

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    if you are hunting in the fall go to a seafood processer and get some humpys
    It is illegal to bait bears in the fall. Check the regulations. AKP!!!!

It is also illegal to use whole fish. Check the regulations. AKP!!!!

The parts of the fish that may be used must be from...."legally taken game."

There is nothing I can find about being able to use commercialy caught fish.

AKP, that sounds like a good idea, especially in the Spring, that fish scent would really draw them in, if it is legal.

How long does it usually take for the bears to come into this type of set-up?

How many bears have you taken with Humpies and how did they taste?

Default Update

Vance/Skybust - I haven't used the ball, but I have used the bacon grease spray with success. My hunting partners and I are going to try a bear bait from www.wildlifebuffet.com this season. We've heard it works really good. If you check out the site and decide to use the products, call the company directly and you'll get a better shipping quote than you will ordering through the internet.

Thanks TRKYhunter.
    Here's one I've been considering.
    http://www.deerquest.com/bear.html
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default anise

anise works really well and a cheap way to make a lot of it is to buy the seed in bulk and boil it in water you can find it in the bulk dry goods section at most grocery stores just make sure you boil it outside on a propane burner or something like that It will really stink up the house if you do it on the stove. I do this every year and you can make gallons of it for not much money at all. I have about 400lbs of donuts saved up already my friend is a hostess distributer and saves the out of date boxes and danishes that are pulled from the shelves for me. Popcorn works great once you have the bears hitting. real light to carry in and they eat it right up. I am considering trying out the bearscents stuff just to see if all the hype on it is worth it. Cant wait till the season gettin cabin fever. I let a biggun go last year because my dad wasnt with me the evening he came in and we were trying to get him one with his bow unfortunately I didnt see him again it was all I could do not to pull the trigger on him. Hopefully he comes back this year.

Default fall bait

As of last year fall baiting was legal in some units.

Default Yes but no to whole fish.

Yes for some brown bear units up north. But you still can't use whole fish, or commercial fish. The original post asked about spring baiting. The number of brown bears that are being taken up north are few. Way too much effort from what the guys are saying. There is a whole different set of rules for that bait setup. Best to call the area biologist and see. RUMOR, was you could even charge people to use the bait. AGAIN, RUMOR. Best to call the area biologist and see.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast