View Poll Results: Do you chip in when on someone else's boat?

Voters
222. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, always

205 92.34%
  • Yes, sometimes

13 5.86%
  • No, never

2 0.90%
  • Other, please explain

2 0.90%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chipping in on fuel?

Default Chipping in on fuel?

Here's the question: If you are on someone else's vessel, do you share the expense of operating the vessel or not?

Thanks!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default I always do

unless it is a charter then I paid already.

That said
    I never ask my friends to chip in, although they do on thier own.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

heck if they can afford a fancy boat they sure as heck can afford the fuel, if they couldnt they shouldnt have bought such a fancy boat.
    Semper Fi!

if im asked to, then of course, otherwise, I always compensate by buying the beer

Release Lake Trout

I always bring beverages no matter what. I will make the offer for fuel and bait also. Some guys want it some dont.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    heck if they can afford a fancy boat they sure as heck can afford the fuel, if they couldnt they shouldnt have bought such a fancy boat.
    Get invited to go out on friends' boats often?

It's not about whether they can afford it or not. I will always offer to help out with my share of the fuel. It's not really different than going out to dinner with friends. I don't always get the bill, but I either pay my share or I pay the bill sometimes while my friend picks it up other times. It's about being gracious and showing my friend that I appreciate them. Whether they can afford it is irrelevant. I buy dinners for folks who make much more than I do as a sign of friendship, not as a measure of our bank accounts.

I rarely go out on other people's boats anymore, but have always contributed to the gas fund. I burn 20+gallons per hour at cruise and really appreciate it when people help cover the fuel bill. I have a plaque in the boat that says: "This boat runs on gas not thanks."
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Get invited to go out on friends' boats often?

It's not about whether they can afford it or not. I will always offer to help out with my share of the fuel. It's not really different than going out to dinner with friends. I don't always get the bill, but I either pay my share or I pay the bill sometimes while my friend picks it up other times. It's about being gracious and showing my friend that I appreciate them. Whether they can afford it is irrelevant. I buy dinners for folks who make much more than I do as a sign of friendship, not as a measure of our bank accounts.

if im invited, then i think its cheesy for them to ask for money.. if i ask to go then i contribute..

Its like inviting family to come from the lower 48 and then giving them a bill for housing when they get here to stay with you. pure cheesy move.. people have no class now-a-days.
    Semper Fi!

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Right On Brian

Nice response.I often invite friends to go fish with me in either my drift boat or my Klamath.As anyone who has a boat knows there are a lot of "extra" costs that come with boat ownership:gas,launch fees,parking,tackle,bait and on and on.Rarely do friends offer to help pay any of these extra costs.And if they do I'll say thank-you but I've got it covered.If I'm on a charter,then I figue that is part of the price you've already paid,so no extra is required,except tips for a job well done to the deckhand or skipper.
    If a friend has offered to help with costs (whatever they may be) they are much more likely to be invited again in the future as compared to someone who gets an attitude and thinks just because they were invited everything is up to the owner of the boat.My 2 cents

Always.

I never ask folks to chip in when I take them out fishing, but it does have a bearing on weather or not they get invited back. A co-worker even slipped my boys a couple bucks to clean the boat after we were done fishing. He's welcome on the boat anytime I take the boat out. He used to captain charters, loves being out on the water, and is more than happy to cover expenses vs. having his own boat.

I think folks that don't have boats have no clue how expensive it is to run a boat. In addition to cost of ownership and upkeep, each trip is $2-400 depending on how much fuel you burn.

i invite my friends to go with me because i like their company, not because i want their money to help pay for a toy i couldnt afford, if that was the case i wouldnt bought it.
    Semper Fi!

When I take my boat with guests, I do not ask or accept fuel money. When I am on someone Else's boat I always offer fuel money and will gladly chip in. I am always the first to buy bait and lunch if needed. If you come on my boat and want to bring some lunch or extra bait, THATS FINE!!. But as far as fuel is concerned, I was going out anyway with or without you.

I rarely go out on a boat that isn't mine.. but, I tend to keep inviting the guys who pitch in for gas, bring food, drinks, etc.

I wouldn't ride with someone to hunting camp without chipping in for gas/expenses and I wouldn't do it on a fishing trip either, pretty tacky IMO.

One exception to this, I have a fishing buddy that I've known for close to 40 years, more like a brother then a friend. At times when funds are tight he'll cover my expenses and vise-a-versa, we've done this since day 1. Money, or lack thereof, has never kept us from fishing together.

Don't really go on other peoples boats often, only on the Kenai river, in that case I offer to get the gas, or pay for the launch. On my boat, I will never ask for anything because I just love to fish, and it is great to have company, but most of the people I take out are more than generous when it comes to helping out with fuel and bait.

I always ask to help pay for fuel when going out with my friends.
    I actually feel a bit guilty when they refuse the offer most of the time.

On the rare occasion I'm in a boat that requires gas for fun I buy the gas one trip, my buddy buys it the next.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Case by case!

I agree with everyone posting so far, some more than others but none the less. On the 3 or 4 occasions Ive had someone on the boat that was not family, Ive weighed the situation and acted accordingly. I could afford the boat I bought so "needing" help with expense is not an issue. Like one gentleman already said, "I will be out here with you or with out you", I only add to that, "if you got the invite in the first place it's because I like your company!

Late last fall, not wanting to miss an opportunity and having no one with time off for one last trip I came to this site. Posted an open seat invite, spelled out my goal and got a taker! Never met the guy before picking him up in his drive way, headed to Whittier and both of us enjoyed ourselves. The deal was "I don't expect any money, this is just a chance for a last trip and I have no one to go with. You can have all the shrimp we catch cause my freezer is full, you can have the fish too." I'd do this again in a heart beat if I found myself in the same situation. Anyone who's too hung up about the money probably won't be much fun to be around.

You know, all this talk about the expense thing here and for a while on another thread has shown me something I think we always knew.
    There are still folks in the world who exude common sense and have an element of decency about them, then there's the others!
    Mike

Default Bah!

Like I said, I don't ask but don't turn it down if offered. A few years ago one of our interns gave me a gift card for Mooses tooth for the training I had given him. I hemmed and hawed and said thanks but you don't have to etc. My supervisor (who has worked her 30 years) took me to the side and said the best thing is to graciously accept rather than turn down his gift.

I also took a person out last year who said they were going to help on the fuel and to let them know what the bill was when I refueled. Within days of us getting back he was laid off, I filled the boat and just never told him how much (THAT would have been tacky!)
    Would I invite him back, sure thing. It wasn't his fault and he had offered.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Default I have a buddy that owns a boat but is semi-retired.

I always pay for all the gas. I didn't purchase the thing for 40 grand but I am not retired. It is my treat to pay the expenses cause he made the huge initial investment. That said, he has always offered to let me take his boat out without him anytime I wanted to. But it wouldn't be as much fun with him not enjoying it either. So I have never taken it out by myself.
    Now another conundrum. I take a few people in the Legislature fishing each summer. Because of their positions, it is "expected" not mandatory, of them to buy some gas just because it might be considered a bribe, if not. We enjoy each others company and there is no quid pro quo. If they did not help to pay for something to facilitate a great and fruitful trip, I would tend to think it would or could put them into a bad situation. Thoughts?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast