Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: polarized glasses?

Default polarized glasses?

Hadn't seen anything about them lately. How much do you spend on a pair? Does anyone have any brands that they prefer over another? Do you notice a vast inprovement when you break a certain dollar threshold? Have you found a brand or model that is really just amazing? Where did you get them?

The best polarized glasses I ever owned were made by a company in Florida called Ocean Waves. They have the clearest lenses and sharpest contrast of any glasses I have ever tried.

http://www.oceanwaves.com/

As for $$$ I really think you need to spend in the $150 and up range to get quality optics.

Your darn centerpinners dont need no stinking glasses. what the heck are you gonna see on a 200 foot drift

I have been using the same pair of glasses I bought in flordia 2 years ago. 20 bucks. I know there are quite a few red salmon and trout that dont like me wearing them. My wife uses prescription sunglasses. 300 bucks. Ask her about the ones that dont float in the KENAI. Oh my, did I say kenai again. I am going to invest in a prescription pair this year as contacts do tend to dry out and pop out on the river
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    The best polarized glasses I ever owned were made by a company in Florida called Ocean Waves. They have the clearest lenses and sharpest contrast of any glasses I have ever tried.

http://www.oceanwaves.com/

As for $$$ I really think you need to spend in the $150 and up range to get quality optics.
    I sort of agree on the price .

Costco has some Maui Jims that normally retail for about $150, but they sell them for $90. I know a lot of people on here like them.

Ive fished side by side with my brother and we would sometimes switch sunglasses just so I could rub it in his face how much better my sunglasses were than his, and there was a pretty big difference.

Now I cant find them anymore. And my brother is the last guy to wear them..

Charterboat Operator

Default H 2 0 optics

Best I have ever used, 125-150 bucks, 3 sets of lenses, great warranty,
    and VERY crisp. Didn't hit the show this year but am sure they were there.
    H 3 O not 2

http://h3opolarized.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
    Last edited by POLE BENDER; 04-14-2010 at 11:22. Reason: spelling

Default shades

I really liked my old Maui Jims - but the plastic scratches easily. They were in the 200$ arena.

I have a 10 year old pair of Costa Del Mar's that have been outstanding. narry a scratch on the glass - but they are heavy and I can not wear them all day...but O so clear.... I did break a lens on the Hoh in WA state a year after I got them. Costa fixed them for fitty bux I think. I paid 220 for them.

I recently bought a pair of smiths for fitty bux off of steep and cheap dot com but alas, I lost them at Christmas....they were pretty good.

I've had 4 pair of H2Optics. They all broke within a year.

I buy cheapy polarized glasses in 10 packs from Ebay. I always have a couple of pair around to give folks who don't have any. I don't care if they get scratched, broken, lost, stolen (who steals sunglasses?), or anything else.

It makes you wonder how Zane Grey ever caught trout while writing Tarzan.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Your darn centerpinners dont need no stinking glasses. what the heck are you gonna see on a 200 foot drift

See my float through the glare!!!!

How about these:

Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default that much

Maybe I shoudn't be surprised but for some reason it's hard to get my mind wrapped around spending that much on sunglasses. Are they really worth having and spending that much?

best pair I've ever had were bill dance strike kings from walmart. I think they were about 20 bucks. I have maui jims now I'm pretty sure they're over rated for the money I think I prefer the strike kings.
    whatever brand I have I prefer the brown lense versus the grey. They're more versatile in different light conditions

I think you can get a pair for $15 on the DEVO website? not that much, really!!

In my experience, you get what you pay for. $20 polarized glasses don't hold a candle to $140 polarized shades. I've been a Native suglass user for 10+ years, they have a great warranty program as well.

http://www.nativeyewear.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    How about these:

Only if they come with the hat too!!!

Default beyond under the water...

...there is under the sky, and that means there can be plenty of dreary and cloudy days in AK.

Regardless of your polarized selection don't forget the other pair. By that I mean your amber lenses to light up those obscured days. I bought a $20.00 pair of shooter's glasses that have always accompanied my polarized.

They both do me service and they both have their place...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Maybe I shoudn't be surprised but for some reason it's hard to get my mind wrapped around spending that much on sunglasses. Are they really worth having and spending that much?

In general; you will amazed on how many more fish you see when you have polarized glasses on. If you are not sight casting; then may be you don't need them.

I have witnessed many fish cruise right by guys on the Russian River who were not wearing polarized glasses; they did not even know the fish were there, even tho the fish were only a few feet in front of them.

If you don't want to spend a lot; then don't. Even a $40 pair will be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Only if they come with the hat too!!!

Thats not a "hat" its an energy dome and yes, I have one already!

Thats not a "hat" its an energy dome and yes, I have one already!

EXCELLENT!!!! Make sure you bring them to Fishapalooza!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellamar View Post
    In my experience, you get what you pay for. $20 polarized glasses don't hold a candle to $140 polarized shades.

Agreed, you get what you pay for. However, I have some Suncloud glasses that were like $60 or so and they are as nice as any Oakelys and such I have ever owned. Incredible polarization. I got some in a flyshop here on Nantucket, but seems I saw them online at Sierra Trading Post as well. Not sure. But at any rate, these are BIG bang for the buck polarized glasses. They retired my Oakelys ($200).

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thats not a "hat" its an energy dome...

Ha ha ha
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast