Thread: Gear for Kodiak

Default Gear for Kodiak

I'm planning a spring trip next year to Kodiak and looking for a gear list/ideas. The weight limit will be 1200-1500 which will include 2 hunters. I am interested in the camping gear which we will need. What have you all brought in the past. Tents, stoves, heater, cots, food, utensils, etc. As far as tents go, I have everything from 2 man Mountain Hardware tents to an Arktika. Usually I have to limit weight for sheep trips but this a different deal. Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Henry Bowman for President

I really don't have a list of gear per say, but coming to Kodiak in the spring you count on rain, wind, and snow. Lots of it. especially wind and rain. I have seen gortex give up the ghost in a couple of hours in the driving sideways rain we get out here. I don't mean to be over dramatic but you can expect to get wet in places that don't get wet when you go swimming. get the best warm and waterproof gear you can. Of course now that I've said that you will have nothing but sunshine (that happens too) but don't count on it, especially since it sounds like you are hunting remote. Also, plan on having enough supplies for several days longer than you plan on. If the weather rolls in, often the planes don't get out and your stuck.
    At sea, it's force not reason that confers sovereign rights

Default Wet! Wet! Wet!

Bring and wear rubbers! Head to toe (if you can stand it). If your planning on backpacking or doing a lot or climbing or relocating where weight is an issue buy the best Gore-Tex you can afford. I use Arcterx AR Jacket and Pants as my shell and have never and I mean never had a problem. These are triple layer Gore-tex and constructed for heavy mountain use. Arcterx will put a BIG dent in your budget but IMHO they are worth every penny. I have also had good luck with wearing my SIMS waders as my bottoms. As far as tents go (and everything else for that matter) it just depends on what you plan on doing. If you are planning on camping up high on a ridge and moving around to see and Scout other areas then GO LIGHT. If you are doing a drop camp by all means bring the biggest tent you can to facilitate waiting out the weather. My most recent set up and one of my favorites thus far is my Marmot 4 man dome which is a good size for two with cots and the rain fly for my wall tent as a free standing shelter. (cook shak, gear storage, etc.)

Let us know what your plans are while you're here in Kodiak and we will be able to better assist you in gear selection.

Thanks and good luck!

Default Snowshoes!

Depending on when/where you go, snowshoes can be a life saver! I went on a trip last spring in Kodiak and we brought snowshoes at the last minute (just in case). They saved us alot of energy/time while we were climbing up to the bears!
    DJ

I 2nd the snowshoes. I went 2 springs ago and was up to my waist in snow chasing a bear. He won.

Default Gun Size

What gun does everyone recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Ammo View Post
    What gun does everyone recommend?
    I think the general consensus is nothing smaller than a 375... and only then if you're an exceptional shot. We're talking about KODIAK BROWN BEARS HERE!!!

Bring whatever you shoot well.

And bring rain gear. If you haven't got the point yet, Kodiak can be awfully soggy. I spent 7 weeks there working spring/summer of 2008 - of that there were 4 days it didn't rain. Spent a couple weeks there last fall - more of the same. It rained 6+ inches one day.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    I think the general consensus is nothing smaller than a 375... and only then if you're an exceptional shot. We're talking about KODIAK BROWN BEARS HERE!!!

Bring whatever you shoot well.

And bring rain gear. If you haven't got the point yet, Kodiak can be awfully soggy. I spent 7 weeks there working spring/summer of 2008 - of that there were 4 days it didn't rain. Spent a couple weeks there last fall - more of the same. It rained 6+ inches one day.
    Spent a week on Kodiak goat hunting last year and it only sprinkled one day, never saw a deer, or a bear. All you hear about Kodiak is a myth.

Thumbs up

I would go with your Arktika with a stove if you have one and use all of your guy lines.
    On my last Spring hunt my sons says what is that noise , sounds like a train ?? It was the wind coming over the mountains and then whammy .
    As the others said snow shoes and bring real food .
    I used an electric fence . They are great , mine kept the bears out of the whole bay I was hunting in !!!!
    Camera .
    Enjoy

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default Deer Hunter..

I am flying Monday for my spring hunt...PM me your email. I will forward my list of supplies and information I have gathered from many. Haver spent 8 months preparing for this hunt as you will.... I can help you out.

I will tell you as others have...as well as a contact on Kodiak that has been keeping me upated on the weather conditions....it is going to be WET.. I have not taken this lightly...good tent. clothes and more clothes to dry and stay warm...FOOD and more FOOD..good gun that I just shot at the range yesterday and snowshoes...last min bear fence will let me sleep better at night...at least that is the idea.

Congrats on the tag..and looking forward to posting a report on the hunt..good and bad things learned upon return for all.

Take care
    DH

Default .338!!!

[QUOTE=Wyo2AK;712966]I think the general consensus is nothing smaller than a 375... and only then if you're an exceptional shot. We're talking about KODIAK BROWN BEARS HERE!!!

I have personally seen two Kodiak Bears go down hard with a .338 Win Mag. One and 6 yards and the other at 120 yards. The .338 if definitely big enough!
    Just my $.02
    DJ

Congrats on going to the jewel of Alaska! I've only been there once and we had everything from sun and warm to cold and wet so be prepared to say the least! Some gear tips I would offer are.....

Parachute cord, lots of it! you can tie your tent off to the trees/logs/rocks when the wind is howling to keep it from collapsing on you! yeah it happens!
    Also it makes a great clothes lines to dry your gear out when the sun finally does come out for awhile.

Good optics! Waterproof and fog proof are mandatory! You will spend more time glassing then you think. even on days when it was raining I tried to glass the areas that I could still see.

Plenty of food and a good book or two. If you get weathered in you could be there for awhile and you don't want to run out of food or things to do. Your best buddy will run out of stories to tell and start getting on your nerves after about day 4 of wind and rain! I read the entire new testiment in four days on my trip!

And last! The right attitude! Kodiak is a hard nut sometimes and knowing that will give you the patients to deal with whatever it throws at you. Enjoy as much as you can, take lots of pictures, and stay safe!
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

WE took a cabelas guide model 6 man tent to leave as base camp then 2 hilleberg Nallo GT tents up top to fight off the gale force winds. We also had tarps and all kinds of stuff to stay warm and dry. Due to our solid plan it was bright and sunny for the whole trip and we all (4 guys) shot goats in about a 36 hour period.

2 guys should easily be able to do a 1200 lb in and if successful 1500 out and live in complete comfort for the trip. I would even take cots to use at base camp if it were me.