Thread: new pup

Red face new pup

Well she is not new new, she is 5 months old and a guy on post didnt have time or a wife that would help. I took the pup because I am an avid waterfowl hunter and cant refuse a pup that will end up going to the pound. So she is half english lab and half american lab, big blocky head. She also has a very mellow temperment until its time to play. Things that bother me are...has not been sociallized with dogs or many people, tends to cower even around my 6 year old Flat Coat with bad hips(moves slow and is always happy). Then there is the retriever drive I havent had her alone yet I officially take the dog tomarrow but the few times I have thrown a ball for her she would go to it pick it up and drop it. I fear that the dog has been slightly neglected because she is well behind in obedience. She also jumped when a little boy just had to pop a ballon.
    On the bright side she does sit, almost stay, she is very intellegent..figured out how to open screen door, child safe cubberds and when and when not to play, she is very praise oriented.
    I have been reading this forum alot the last week I know the resources available, books and some people/trainers(maybe wetlands out there in palmer?). Me being in the military and being a medic I cant leave a pup behind and am very dedicated. Any advice would be great I have email set up specifically for this. PM if you can or post on here. Thank you

Default ok guys HELP!!!

I know im new but i need some help, so I adopted this pup and I love her she is a quick learner. After spending 2 hours with her i watched her pee and noticed 3 drops of blood, eventually found out that she had been "treated" for bladder infection in jan. So i have a vet appointment monday. I understand with this issue sometimes she will apsolutly not be able to hold it intil she gets outside. Should I still reprimand her for accidents? I just fee/ bad cause i know she tries. Also anytips on clean up and smell control would be good

Another question is aggreasive playing with another dog bad for her, she never get bit hard but sure gives a woopin to the 98lb doberman friend. Just wanna make sure this is ok.

Definitely do not correct her for accidents until she is cured of the infection. Nature's Miracle works great on the spots.
    My little guys have always played with the big dogs. Just be sure the dobie is not going to hurt her...that they are just playing

If she is sensitive to correction. I would be very gentle. If she was mistreated, she needs to regain human trust. It sounds like you already know this.
    Try to get her to associate loud noises with something positive. Start out with noise while she is eating. Not really loud noises at first, but gradually increase the loudness over a month or so as she adjusts. I know some people who have used a CD of hunt test/hunting noises and they play that while the pups are eating.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default good to go

Since we figured it out, we make trying to get outside a game. Thanks for the natures miracle. I have been trying to spend alot of with her, from going to the store to goin fishin'. Just letting her know she wont be moving again