Thread: Wyoming Combo Holster & Scoped SBH-1st impression- long post, lots of pics

Default Wyoming Combo Holster & Scoped SBH-1st impression- long post, lots of pics

I posted a couple months ago about this holster i was thinking of ordering. Some guys here where happy I was going to be the guinea pig and weren't to sure how this rig would work. Here's that thread. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hlight=wyoming
    I scoured the internet and had a hard time finding many pics that satisfied me. So, I figured I'd take a bunch of pics and post this long thread for the benefit of any others who are considering this holster. I'll say this before I get started. It's one sweet setup. I can't wait to get out in the field with it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The gun is a Ruger SBH Bisley Hunter in 45 Colt. The scope is a Weaver Classic 2x28 sitting in factory ruger rings. Holster is the Wyoming Combination Holster made by Von Ringler http://www.ringlercustomleather.com/

First impressions is…. wow, how can a guy make a custom holster for a scoped handgun without having the gun and scope?! I emailed Von some pics and measurements and a tracing of the gun with the scope on it. What I got in the mail today was a custom fit holster. Amazing.

The first pic is of the holster out of the box. It looks like the gun has been in it for a while. Second pic is the first time the gun has been in it. Perfect and I mean PERFECT fit. Notice how the scope clears the top of the holster. This thing draws nice a smooth. Doesn't' get hung up on anything.

Last edited by Snyd; 12-30-2012 at 16:34.

Here's the backside. I'll mess around with it and when I'm satisfied with the main belt length I'll cut off the excess. You can also see the belt strap. It has a snap on the front side. The length of the strap that secures the revolver is also adjustable. There is a slit in the strap and it's held in by the screw. Hard to see in this pic.. Nice design.

Last edited by Snyd; 12-30-2012 at 16:37.

Now for trying it on. It is very secure and comes up nice and snug. It looks larger in the pic because of the way the camera exaggerates things. Kinda like sitting way behind the bear in the pic. Heres one with no pac, my arm is held back, with my arm by my side the scope is back almost under my armpit. It feels very comfortable.

Heres one with my day hunting pack on. Kelty Grizzly. The holster works great with it.

Here's one sitting. Very comfortable, stays nice and close, doesn't ride up or auger down into my hip.

Last edited by Snyd; 12-30-2012 at 16:43.

Some guys (including myself) wondered how well it would stay snug when crawling around. Here's one on my hands and knees. It didn't hardly budge. Combination of the wrap around effect and the belt strap I'm sure.

Quick and easy to slip off or unsnap and put on a coat and throw it back on. Here are a few with my insulated hunting coat on and one that shows how quick the revolver clears leather. The design works well. I don't have to knock myself in the chin with the hammer to clear the holster.

Last edited by Snyd; 12-30-2012 at 16:47.

Squatting down the holster does not bind up, just kind of goes with the flow and it's easy to draw from that position as well

Snap it up tighter and carry it cross draw around the waist. Might come in handy. No probe jumping around or bending over. It stays put.

Last edited by Snyd; 12-30-2012 at 16:54.

Here it is with my pack on and carrying it around the waist crossdraw. I put one leg up on a stool so you can see that it does not interfere with hiking or climbing. Again, it looks huge in the pics but it really isn't. It's more of the optical illusion effect.

Here it is nest to a 4" Redhawk in a Simply Rugged Pancake Holster for comparison of size.

Last edited by Snyd; 12-30-2012 at 16:57.

Nice, educational post, Thank you........well done...

Veddy veddy interesting....I like it! Whats the weight of that bugger? I'm gonna have to look 'em up. Looks like it has potential to be hot with a large leather 'saddle' on your upper-body. I guess thats the beauty of the 'combo' option.

It's light as a feather actually. I'm not too concerned about it being hot, it's not that tight against my side. Time will tell though. What gets hot on me is my back, I usually sweat like crazy carrying a pack.

Great thread,glad you found what you were looking for.

Snyd, I don't think you have enough pictures of it yet.

I think it looks really great, and man what a nice gun!

Looks to me like you've got a very nice carry rig there for a diffecult to fit handgun. Congrats.
    Steve

Default Nice Rig

Snyd,

Have been looking at these for a little while for my new bisley hunter .44 . Your review was very informative.

Talked to Von today and met his brother in law who lives here in Palmer to try his Wyoming Comb. Holster. This is a NICE RIG! Ordered one today.

Thanks for the great post.

Nice score on the gun and holster.

I've often wondered why Ruger never made the Super Blackhawk a regular offering in .45 Colt. I don't care for the Hunter models, but a regular Super Blackhawk in .45 Colt would be pretty sweet. So would a five shot in .454 Casull.
    Now what ?

Default Wow, is right

Great Post, All the info needed

Especially the shot of the easy and smooth looking Draw, that sells it, I think

Some Fine work from a trace/drawing, Wow is Right
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Size difference compared to 4" Redhawk in Simply Rugged Pancake.

That is an interesting set-up. What's got me thinking now is that it would not be hard to create similar strap system for a Comp-tac or Crossbread holster for semi's. Making a great way to carry a 10mm or 460.

Nice setup, Thanks for the review

Perfect, expensive I bet. But you I see are as fat as I am! Makes me feel better my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    Perfect, expensive I bet. But you I see are as fat as I am! Makes me feel better my friend.
    aaahemmmm..... scuse me but you must mean that you're as lean as I am! Poofy shirt in the pics .... anyway, $205.75 to my door for this custom made holster.

I used it in the field hunting this spring and fall. Combination of atving, hiking with and without a day pack. So far so good. I do put a small piece of shammy cloth over the scope to protect the lens but when shouldered it kind of tucks up under my armpit which protects it as well.