Thread: Salmon - Shorebound - May 17th June 3rd?

Default Salmon - Shorebound - May 17th June 3rd?

Hey guys,

I will probably be back to Alaska on May 16th! YAY!

I shouldnt jinx myself though I havent booked my ticket yet

Anyways, the plan is to be there for 18 days, then back again in the July for about 5-6 weeks.

Just wondering if I have any chance at salmon from May 16th until June 3rd?

Are there any rivers where I can get some sockeye before June 3rd? Or some Kings from shore?
    Anybody know about the homer spit? I enjoy that area even though a lot of people don't.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

I'll be more excited when I book my ticket.

Can't miss opening day of king season on the lower peninsula streams, soda.

Probably some of my fondest memories growing up in AK.

I made it for 11 straight Memorial midnight openers at Butch's Hole on the Ninilchik River before heading off to medical school. Laid the foundation for a lifelong fishing friendship shared by two king-crazed teenage boys.

Boy oh boy, sheep man, we're getting old!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

My dates and planning is are all over the place. I cant believe I didnt realize Im gonna be there during the midnight opener!

Oh man...OH MAN!!

This should be fun.

Butch's hole. I'll look it up.

Thanks again Doc.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Can't miss opening day of king season on the lower peninsula streams, soda.

Probably some of my fondest memories growing up in AK.

I made it for 11 straight Memorial midnight openers at Butch's Hole on the Ninilchik River before heading off to medical school. Laid the foundation for a lifelong fishing friendship shared by two king-crazed teenage boys.

Boy oh boy, sheep man, we're getting old!

If you don't have anything better to do you might want to try "surf casting" for kings off the beach down in the Whiskey Gulch area north of Anchor Point. Don't forget that there's a "special harvest area" zone 1 mile north of the Anchor River mouth where you can't fish, but there's a beach access there where you're in the fishable zone. At an extreme high tide on a big tide swing day you can catch kings within easy casting distance of the beach if you have the right setup. I've never tried it myself because I've always had a boat to pursue them, but I've seen people doing it and I might try it this year if I get "blown off" on one of those "big tide swing" days like around the 16th and then the 28th. Something worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    If you don't have anything better to do you might want to try "surf casting" for kings off the beach down in the Whiskey Gulch area north of Anchor Point. Don't forget that there's a "special harvest area" zone 1 mile north of the Anchor River mouth where you can't fish, but there's a beach access there where you're in the fishable zone. At an extreme high tide on a big tide swing day you can catch kings within easy casting distance of the beach if you have the right setup. I've never tried it myself because I've always had a boat to pursue them, but I've seen people doing it and I might try it this year if I get "blown off" on one of those "big tide swing" days like around the 16th and then the 28th. Something worth considering.
    Surf Casting. Now that is something I have REALLY wanted to try. I asked a lot about it a couple years ago but it did not seem too popular. Ive got the gear for it, but was not really sure where to go.

What type of lures do you suggest? If I remember correctly, someone suggested really big spinners. I was hoping Krocodile spoons would work as those will cast really far.

Also if you dont mind, where is the access to this beach? I think I remember seeing several beach access but I dont remember that well.

There is an access road that leads down to the beach just a few miles north of Anchor Point. A lot of people use it and camp down along the beach there. I don't remember exactly what mile marker it's at, but it's marked with a sign that I believe says something to the effect of "Whiskey Gulch Access" or something like that. One caution, though. It has a REALLY steep point that can be very tricky at times. I went down there once in my Nissan PU with a camper on the back and I almost didn't make it back up. It had been raining for about 3 days straight and it was a mud torrent coming down. I just barely made it back up in 4WD low. But people do typically take RV's and campers down there.

I have trolled for kings there only about 20 ft. from where the surf breaks on the beach. A lot of times they'll come in really close to the beach to feed on the bait fish that are being stirred up by the surf at an extreme high tide. So you don't have to get your bait out too far. At low tide it will only be up to about 5 ft. deep for about 100 yards. The beach is really shallow angled there.

You are correct in saying it's not a popular way to catch kings. I think it isn't really popular because it's not a consistent fishery where you can catch them that close to shore consistently. A lot of times you'll have to go 1/4 of a mile or more out to catch them (like at low tide and especially an extreme low tide), so at those times casting from the beach is going to be futile. So it's really pretty hit and miss, but if you don't have anything better to do it might be worth just casting something out there to see what happens.

Also, when you hook into a 30 pound or more king out in "the salt" they have a tendency to strip a lot of line off your reel. But if you have a good "surf casting" reel that shouldn't be a problem. I hooked into one once off Whiskey Gulch that was about 45 lbs. and it took about 50 yards of line off my reel in about 5 seconds. Talk about excitement! But I think that would be a blast if you were standing there on the beach.

There are also a lot of halibut that come close into the beach to feed on the bait that follows the shore line. I've never heard of anyone catching halibut from shore there, but I've caught halibut trolling within casting distance of shore, so that could happen, too.

I think just about any sort of flashy spinner or lure that you're able to cast as far as possible would work when those kings are chasing bait in close. I typically use big "Tee-spoons" up in that area, though they might be too light to cast very well. I've always thought about just casting a herring out there suspended under a bobber would be fun to try though it might not have enough action to excite them.

Thanks my man. I will check it out.

Ive got surf casting gear that I use out east and I normally have at least 300 yrds of 60lb test.

Thanks again.

Sounds like that would work for you. I used to fish blues and stripers off the Cape Cod beaches and long for that some times.

Let me know when you're going to be in the area and I'll meet you up there to give it a try with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Sounds like that would work for you. I used to fish blues and stripers off the Cape Cod beaches and long for that some times.

Let me know when you're going to be in the area and I'll meet you up there to give it a try with you.
    Hi Man, sounds good! My last fishing trip was for stripers in Late october in Plymouth! There is a something addictive on both coasts! Stripers and Salmon...

I'll Pm you when Im around. thanks again for the info.