Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone from Seward area?

Default Anyone from Seward area?

I'm going to be up for the summer working in Resurrection Bay beginning in June and thought I'd say hey before I head up.

Being my first season I was wondering if anyone had any helpful suggestions/info for the area...pubs, places to meet people, things to do, etc. I've been doing some homework and it looks like I'm getting stationed in a pretty great area! (Thumb Cove)

Fishing looks pretty stellar although maybe no Sockeye?? I dunno maybe someone can tell me better.

Looks like I'm gonna be pretty much stuck to the bay area 24/7 so hopefully I'll catch some of yall on the water!

<))))><

Congrats on the job in Seward. You're undoubtedly about to have one of the best summers of your life. Are you a Coastie? You mentioned being stationed in the bay, so I thought you might be.

bamafan? Is that Alabama or Obama you're a fan of? Just wondering...

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    Congrats on the job in Seward. You're undoubtedly about to have one of the best summers of your life. Are you a Coastie? You mentioned being stationed in the bay, so I thought you might be.

Thanks vega. NAh, not a coastie...I'm going to be working for Great Alaska Lodge's ocean kayaking outpost camp actually.

I've been trying to find my way up ever since I passed up a firefighting scholarship in Fairbanks years ago. I opted to go to BAMA instead if that answers the handle question. I try to steer clear of politics best I can!

<))))><

Lots of silvers to be had out around Pony from the middle of June on if you can get out that way.

And some nice butt inside the bay, too, if you hit the right spots. I used to "boat camp" along the south side of Thumb and one night my wife and I pulled up and anchored in about 60 ft. of water. We had a beer or two and then I decided to hit the v-berth for some sleep. She dropped a silver head over the side of the boat on a 16/0 circle hook just for the fun of it and I told her she was crazy. About 10 minutes later as I was just starting to doze off I heard some commotion from the deck, then a few choice words, and she yelled for me to get out there. About 5 minutes later we had a 65 lb. butt sitting in the fish box.

I have a few friends that used to kayak out around there, too, and pulled some nice halibut up from the depths in their kayaks after getting pulled around a bit. Give that a try if you don't have anything better to do.

And don't forget the red run into the Resurrection River at the beginning of June and on. Lots of sockeye to be had. If you'd like some "inside" info PM me.

Default Congrats - will be a fun summer!

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    ...I try to steer clear of politics best I can!
    <))))><
    Me too - and on the rare occasion I don't - I always wish I had! Sounds like you'll have an awesome summer (ok - I admit it...I'm a tad jealous
    )...

Default You asked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post

Gotta say, I was curious too.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Lots of silvers to be had out around Pony from the middle of June on if you can get out that way.

And some nice butt inside the bay, too, if you hit the right spots. I used to "boat camp" along the south side of Thumb and one night my wife and I pulled up and anchored in about 60 ft. of water. We had a beer or two and then I decided to hit the v-berth for some sleep. She dropped a silver head over the side of the boat on a 16/0 circle hook just for the fun of it and I told her she was crazy. About 10 minutes later as I was just starting to doze off I heard some commotion from the deck, then a few choice words, and she yelled for me to get out there. About 5 minutes later we had a 65 lb. butt sitting in the fish box.

I have a few friends that used to kayak out around there, too, and pulled some nice halibut up from the depths in their kayaks after getting pulled around a bit. Give that a try if you don't have anything better to do.
    hahaha thats awesome! yeah i was pretty dead set on trying to hook a halibut or two from the kayak! a 16/0 octo eh? looks like ill be hittin up the terminal tackle aisle before I head up...dont think i have any of those!

The first part of june, there will be snagging for Reds. You gotta do this, so much fun.
    Just ask around people will tell you where to go, or even catch a cab out there.

There are several bars in town and im sure the people you work with will let you know.
    Seward is a drinking town with a fishing problem.

Been working there for the last 5 summers and each one get better

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    hahaha thats awesome! yeah i was pretty dead set on trying to hook a halibut or two from the kayak! a 16/0 octo eh? looks like ill be hittin up the terminal tackle aisle before I head up...dont think i have any of those!
    Yeah, in the inner bay area you have to really "mine" for bigger butt, but if you are persistent (and lucky sometimes) it can be very productive. Try on the inner areas of some of the coves and also out around Caines Head and the drop-off out by Calisto Head. Not highly productive areas, but if you're in the right place at the right time......

I've personally never caught one of those "kayak draggers" but I'm giving some thought to it. Can you imagine hooking into a 200+ pounder and having it drag YOUR butt a mile or two around the bay!?

Whats the earliest for snagging the reds around Seward? I was there 2 years ago on the 4th of June, but I didnt know what the heck I was doing. I was throwing bait out behind that sea center and didnt even get a sniff. I was hoping for flounder or anything but just got cold and annoyed. HA!

Someone told me there might be some sockeye around but I had no clue what to do back then.

thanks
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Whats the earliest for snagging the reds around Seward? I was there 2 years ago on the 4th of June, but I didnt know what the heck I was doing. I was throwing bait out behind that sea center and didnt even get a sniff. I was hoping for flounder or anything but just got cold and annoyed. HA!

Someone told me there might be some sockeye around but I had no clue what to do back then.

thanks
    Soda,

You were in the wrong place at perhaps the wrong time. The tide water of the Resurrection River is very good when then the fish are in. Last year, it was phenominal there and it might be that way this year too as those things seem to run in cycles. It is easy to find and straightforward enough to find, just pretend like you are going over to the prison. And if you still can't find it, just go over to the Fish House, they will tell you all the specifics. The place is no secret at all.....

Yeah, in the inner bay area you have to really "mine" for bigger butt, but if you are persistent (and lucky sometimes) it can be very productive. Try on the inner areas of some of the coves and also out around Caines Head and the drop-off out by Calisto Head. Not highly productive areas, but if you're in the right place at the right time......

I've personally never caught one of those "kayak draggers" but I'm giving some thought to it. Can you imagine hooking into a 200+ pounder and having it drag YOUR butt a mile or two around the bay!?
    I have had good luck in between Rugged, Fox, and Hive. The tide is critical as is the weather. But it can be rewarding if you can find the right spots.

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Soda,

You were in the wrong place at perhaps the wrong time. The tide water of the Resurrection River is very good when then the fish are in. Last year, it was phenominal there and it might be that way this year too as those things seem to run in cycles. It is easy to find and straightforward enough to find, just pretend like you are going over to the prison. And if you still can't find it, just go over to the Fish House, they will tell you all the specifics. The place is no secret at all.....

Thanks my man. I figured I was in the wrong place when the only other people I saw were heading towards that sea center. I thought the lack of fishing line on the ground was because of well behaved fishermen.

Is late may too early to target them?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Thanks my man. I figured I was in the wrong place when the only other people I saw were heading towards that sea center. I thought the lack of fishing line on the ground was because of well behaved fishermen.

Is late may too early to target them?

thanks
    Soda,

You've been up here before and early June is the beginning of the run. It could be great or it could be horrible at that time. My personal experiences say it is too early. Once again, just go to the Fish House as soon as you hit Seward and they will tell you the inside information at the time. Or, just hit the beach by the city rv park and get the binos out and look over towards the old building by the mouth of the river. If there are fish in you will see good numbers (not crowded) of people fishing. If not, well they probably are not in yet. As Mutley Crew (Coho Dave) says, it can be great and I have seen it like that a number of times. Just like the Kenai, it just depends.

Default Hey BamaFan...

Yeah, you'll raise some eyebrows asking for 16/0 circle hooks in good ol' Dixie! You will be best off to wait until you get to Alaska and go to a tackle store first and get some 2 to 12 oz jig heads, a few big curly tails (bIG, not bass sized), white is always good, and those blue and orange Auburn colors are great and some halibut rigs already made up, and a couple of big halibut rig sinkers, 8oz, 12 oz, 16 oz should be fine for kayak fishing. Or, you could do it online, but you won't get any advice there and you'll get plenty at a tackle store in AK (a REAL tackle store, not the box store in Los Anchorage!). Oh yeah, make sure you have something to cut the line in case it get scary! Usually those fish fight up and down but now and then you get one headed for the deep seas!

You are going to have a great summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Yeah, you'll raise some eyebrows asking for 16/0 circle hooks in good ol' Dixie! You will be best off to wait until you get to Alaska and go to a tackle store first and get some 2 to 12 oz jig heads, a few big curly tails (bIG, not bass sized), white is always good, and those blue and orange Auburn colors are great and some halibut rigs already made up, and a couple of big halibut rig sinkers, 8oz, 12 oz, 16 oz should be fine for kayak fishing. Or, you could do it online, but you won't get any advice there and you'll get plenty at a tackle store in AK (a REAL tackle store, not the box store in Los Anchorage!). Oh yeah, make sure you have something to cut the line in case it get scary! Usually those fish fight up and down but now and then you get one headed for the deep seas!

Even better, get in touch with me when you get here and I'll sell you some of the butt rigs I make myself at cost. I'm not in it for the money, I don't sell them as a business (so I assume it's OK to post this) and would be happy to make some up for you. It'll save you about half the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post

Ick..Auburn colors really? Had to go there didn't ya Ron? Thanks for the advice. Now I totally keep invisioning getting dragged straight out to the depths Hemmingway style by a monster halibut! hahaha or walking in to a bait shop in Seward lookin for 16/0's and having the crazy shark captain from Jaws in there all "YA GANNA NEED A BIGGA BOAT!"

Anyway, would be quite a fish story if I could hang on...

Even better, get in touch with me when you get here and I'll sell you some of the butt rigs I make myself at cost. I'm not in it for the money, I don't sell them as a business (so I assume it's OK to post this) and would be happy to make some up for you. It'll save you about half the cost.
    Be glad to! I even don't mind a little mark up for quality either, a man's gotta eat right? PM me your info Crew and I'll give ya a shout as soon as I get camp set up. Hell, I'd actually like to talk shop before then so I can get some recommendations on some good salmon rod lengths and actions.

Are you in distance of the bay cause I'm kinda limited on my options getting around. As of right now I'll be riding the Nike Express everywhere I go on shore.

Default Pm doesnt work?

Hey Bamafan,

Tried sending you a PM but I could not find the option for it for some reason.

Im gonna swing by Seward for a day or two in late May. Are you gonna be around? We can meet up for some fishing.

Dont know anything about the area but I always like to meet new people.

If you can, send me a PM. If not, email me: joehorng79@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast