Thread: shack cabins??

Default shack cabins??

The old man and I are looking for something to 'base camp' out of during the summer while we do mountaineering/hiking trips.

We will be heading to check out land this summer, but I was curious about a few things before going.

We want to have road access, or at least some sort of road, so it cannot be absurdly remote (and we won't be sledding in supplies in the winter...).

So my question is .... purchasing vacant lots with road access seem fairly suburban, which is fine, but we want to literally build something that is 300-400 sq feet w/ outhouse ... and well, this might make the neighbours frown if they are in a 'real house' with a 'real toilet'.

I know their are building regulations and some areas appear to need septic or 'permanent' buildings (would that be a permanent building??), but is it possible to pick up a vacant lot with road access and build a low grade cabin??

Or is this a more remote access kind of project?

THANKS!

Have you considered weekend rentals? Bying land and building a structure is a pretty big comitment of time and money even for a shack - and going low budget might not put you in a very desirable location for hiking and mountaineering (or living!). Unless you are in love with a particular area, renting cabins or camper might be a cost effective alternative that kept a lot more hiking and mountaineering options open around the state. Just a thought.

What you want to do is very doable. I live that way, I have an outhouse, I get my water from a creek, and my cabin is 12' X 24' = 288 Sq. Ft. Here that style living is called a "DRY" Cabin (meaning no water in or out). It is largely a lifestyle choice around here, as the land is insanely expensive around this area.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    What you want to do is very doable. I live that way, I have an outhouse, I get my water from a creek, and my cabin is 12' X 24' = 288 Sq. Ft. Here that style living is called a "DRY" Cabin (meaning no water in or out). It is largely a lifestyle choice around here, as the land is insanely expensive around this area.
    Ok, thanks for the vocab, that will make it easier to discuss it with the realtor, etc.

So, unless it specifically has restrictions, on most land out of the large cities, you can build a DRY cabin? I suppose you still need to get a building permit and you can specify it being a DRY cabin and they (the government) won't worry about a lack of septic or running water?

Do you have any photos of your cabin you could send me?!

Thanks for the idea of renting, Joel. I think we are looking for something we can work on for a few years while we are up there. You know, a project. That is the fun part!

No Building Permits required outside of incorporated Towns/Cities. There are no building permits required here. Roughly what area of the state are you looking to acquire property......?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    No Building Permits required outside of incorporated Towns/Cities. There are no building permits required here. Roughly what area of the state are you looking to acquire property......?
    Hmm fairly open to suggestions. Either some where around Glennallen or perhaps up the Parkway towards Denali.

Found some properties on the over-the-counter, but they seem a little peaty/swampy, so will perhaps look for a private sell.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

There's some nice little lots for sale around Trapper Creek for $500 down; that's a dynamite recreational/wildlife watching area. Go to landinalaska.com
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
    Aw thanks for sharing my little DRY cabin in the woods.

Come on up to the Fairbanks area. Dry cabins are common here. And since you wont have to deal with our severe winters, well, that's a bonus for most people.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Love your website!

Thanks. I'm excited that I've gotten so many visits in such a short time.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?