Thread: 17.5 wooldridge

Default 17.5 wooldridge

I recently purchased a 2005 17.5 alaskan, 53" with a yamaha 115 2s. I'm new to outboard jets, but it seems to be a great boat. It will do 35mph with my son and me in it. It has a aluminum 3 blade impeller on it, would it be worth putting a stainless 4 blade on it? Any input on my new boat would be great, thanks.

They are really great boats, I had a 05 w/ a yam 115 4S
    It came with the SS 4 blade and I was pleased with the performance,
    I never tried a 3 blade? I have always heard that the 4 blade doesnt make much diffrence in motors under 100HP.
    Whats the condition of the aluminum impeller you have?
    If its in good shape, run it for a season, maybe when you need a replacement try a 4 blade..........
    Just get out with your son as much as possible.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Lightly loaded they rip pretty good. Start adding weight and performance starts to drop quickly.

Not a great boat for big rough water. 4 foot rollers slow you way down.

You may want to add a swim step to aid in cleaning out the jet and getting in/out.

If you do not have a wiper on the left front window. It would be very nice at times.

Practice turning on a lake. Slide it, spin it and remember that you have no steering without power on.

Mike

It has a wiper on my side, the impeller in it is in pretty good shape, the previous owner never touched it (27 hours on motor). I sharpened it up and spaced it to about .025". Like I said I'm new to jets, it takes maybe 5 seconds to get up to step, it would be nice if it popped up faster. My son is 14 and we fish every weekend, he's at a great age and have allot of fun. I mounted a roller on the front for my Columbia river anchor setup, thinking about welding a brace down to between the lights to help support it and maybe save my headlights. I'm probably going to bust one of them out loading at steeper launches. It doesn't like waves very much, oh well..

The 4 blade stainless will haul more weight and with a load it will get up quicker. The size that works best in a 115 Yamaha is the 7 3/8 D 4blade stainless. Glen

Where are your pictures?

Where are you located?

What GWooldridge said
    Makes a BIG difference with a load, and you don't have to re-sharpen it as much if you, ahem, suck some gravel.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I used to live in alaska, but now live in eastern washington.

Thanks Glen, I will hopefully be over to pick up a stainless from you. I talked with you on the phone awhile back, seems stange that this had a aluminum impeller???

So I put a 4 blade stainless from wooldridge on it, it made a big difference. I can get on step in half the time, takes 2-3 seconds now and my top speed is still around 35mph on a lake. I really like this boat, it is like the 4-wheel drive of boats (in washington) I use it for bass fishing ,trolling and will be stealheading with it soon. I enjoy this site, lots of good info, thanks