Thread: Little help please!

Default Little help please!

I'm in the early stages of planning my first trip to Alaska in 2011. I don't have the $$$$ for a lodge but don't want to do the RV and combat fishing thing. I'm thinking about doing a self-guided float but have no clue where to begin. I would like to target silvers/rainbows, etc and am planning for the last week of July or first week of August. The tentative plan is to fly into Anchorage and then charter a plane to drop the group off somewhere and do a self guided float over about 5 days. We plan to fly fish and spin fish. I'd love some recommendations on rivers and charter services. All in the group (will probably be 4-6 people) are very experienced with the outdoors and fishing, but none are familiar with Alaska. We are coming from Wyoming. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Feel free to email me as well.
    Thanks!

I saw your post earlier, but didn't answer because I don't have much experience with what your asking about. But I noticed no one has posted a reply since then and thought I'd respond.

I suspect you aren't getting any responses because not having a lot of $$$$ and trying to do what you want to do are not generally considered "inclusive" things. It costs $$$$ to fly across to the area where you can do float trips and outfit a 5 day trip, and generally speaking to find someone that can do that for you and put you onto fish is going to cost you $$$$. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but that's how those services and lodges over on the "other side" make their money.

There are some fly-in services in Anchorage and down here on the peninsula that might do something like that. Try doing a Google search, if you don't get any responses here, for "fly-in fishing Kenai Peninsula" and see what that brings up. I am familiar with the Homer Floatplane Lodge here in Homer and they MIGHT do something like that, but I'm not sure. Might be worth looking into.

Panther if you will check out Markandchrislundin.com on the fishing page you will find both our 2007 and 2009 trips to Alaska. We did a wide variety of things from Halibut Fishing, Hiking to Crescent Lake, White Water Rafting, a Fly in and four day hike along the Russian, couple inland streams, drift on the Kenai, and we had no combat fishing. Actually we didn't even have company except on the Kenai and the access points. One stream we fished two days, never saw another fisherman.........do lots of research, spend a lot of time reading here..........have a plan A, B and C, and have a great time.

Muttley,
    I understand what you're saying, and perhaps I should have been more clear. I have done some research and figured that I would save thousands by camping and doing self guided. I'm not trying to do the trip on the cheap, and am willing to pay to get to where we need to go. The real problem is that I don't have a clue as to where to go. I want to get away from the crowds and catch some fish. Just hoping for a little direction from some who have a little local knowledge.

Default questions and answers

Rest easy there Panther, there's tons of info on this board about just such stuff as you're asking and a lot of folks willing to chime in. Check out the search function and you'll be reading for a long spell.

2Paw's site has some great videos and reports, definitely give it a look. And when Danattherock gets wind of your question, hang on and enjoy the ride.

- Jay

Default Duke outdoors

They have a website and some great fishing videos that you could use to help plan a float hunt for salmon. Lots of great info in their videos. Alaska’s Talachulitna King Salmon Float Trip - DVD This one is in the store here. They have a couple of others that are worth watching as well.

Quote Originally Posted by panther martin View Post
    Muttley,
    I understand what you're saying, and perhaps I should have been more clear. I have done some research and figured that I would save thousands by camping and doing self guided. I'm not trying to do the trip on the cheap, and am willing to pay to get to where we need to go. The real problem is that I don't have a clue as to where to go. I want to get away from the crowds and catch some fish. Just hoping for a little direction from some who have a little local knowledge.
    Hi Panther, welcome to the forum!

Im not a local, but I've used this forum daily for the past 2 years so I'll give you some of the info Ive learnt.

Oldmill007 is right. Im surprised DANATTHEROCK doesnt just chase down threads that have the word 'float' in it and jump right in to help anybody. But he will get here soon enough...

Anyways, Dan has helped me A LOT. And the one thing that I learned while preparing for my particular float trip to the arctic is that my first one would cost a lot more than any lodge.

First, I had to get my peoples there, (charter + comm flights were gonna be about $1,500 each because of weight) rent the proper raft (about $400 a week) , buy the right tents, right sleeping bags, right foods for 12 days with no fridge, water filters, GPS, water proof bags etc etc etc.

Im sure there are MUCH cheaper rivers to fly to, and float, but they will still not be inexpensive and might possibly be just as expensive as a lodge.

For other options, perhaps you wanted to just camp by the side of a river, not float and just fish it daily? If that is the case, that would be cheaper but from the amount of research Ive done on this forum, and Ive done A LOT, it is a bit difficult to actually find a 'remote' river without any other fishermen. Even though when I first imagined Alaska, I imagined catching hundreds of kings daily and being along on the rivers!
    The truth is that thousands of people want to do this every single year, and thousands of people do it. So to get away from it, I believe you have 2 options.

1 - Pay A LOT of money to get somewhere where no one else can/want to pay for.
    2 - Hike 30-45 minutes each day to more secluded holes.

As crazy as it sounds, in 2008, I fished the russian 4+ days a week for about 8 weeks straight. And whenever it got too crowded for me, I just hiked up river and within 30-45 minutes, I would often find a hole all to myself, or for my girlfriend and myself when she joined me. And this is on the russian!

One more suggestion, look into Forrest service cabins. This is a good way to get away from crowds, and have some pretty simple cabins to stay relatively dry. Again, you will have to do your research. Get onto this site: http://www.recreation.gov/recFacilit...RecreationArea

type in 'silvers' or 'coho' read through the cabins, find out where you first flight will be to (SC? Or SE?) then, find out who charters out of there to get you to the cabin etc.

I believe as an out of state resident, you can reserve 6 months in advance but I might be wrong. That might be the option you are looking for.

Lastly, This is how I research this forum, and it will take you about an hour to get some AWESOME info.

Same as with the forrest cabin site, I will type in something very simple such as "silvers' or 'coho'. From there, I will check the dates from the posts. This will give me some decent info on run timing. As you read the posts, take notes on the rivers. Then keep narrowing it down. When you've got a few options, ask about those rivers.

Anyways, this was long winded. I went a bit crazy there thinking about Alaska.

Now Im starting late for work...

Thanks for the info soda. We already have most of the gear necessary, but your thoughts are good ones. I'll look into the cabins as well.

Default flyin trip

Self guided flyins will vary, based on flying time and amount of gear required. If you're going to float one of the Susitna drainages (ie: Talchulitna, Lake Creek) you'll find plenty of services out of Lake Hood (in ANC). Cook Inlet trips (Kustitan, Big River) can be accessed from either Anc or kenai. If you want to do Bristol Bay floats, you're better off flying commercial to KS or Dillingham, then chartering from there.
    last year my son & I floated the Alagnek River (out of King Salmon). Outfitted trip (fly in & out + raft) prices varied greatly. Flying with a service located on the Kenai Pen would have cost us around $2500 each. We flew (commercial) to KS from Anc & r/t was around $450 (ea), then chartered the drop off/pickup with Branch River Air for $742 (ea). We had all our own camping & fishing gear - mailed most of it ahead of time.
    If you want to spend the money ($300-$400/person/day) there's an outfit that helicopters in to the head waters of Clear Creek (Talkneeta) & floats. the trip is guided & includes everything & a fellow I talked to said the rainbows averaged over 20" - catching between 30-50 fish per day (per angler). Of Course, that may be just a fish story.
    Gary

Hey Panther Martin, pm sent.

Default Where's Bernie?

I'm surprise Bernie hasn't chimed in.

Check out the books written by Bernard Rosenberg.
    (http://www.alaskaauthor.com/

It's exactly what you want.

Good luck.