Thread: Sense of Smell

Default Sense of Smell

To put a bear's sense of smell in perspective. My research states that a bloodhound can smell 300 times better than a human and a bear can smell seven times better than a bloodhound. That makes a bear's sense of smell 2100 times better than ours. Impressive!

Bears rely more on their sense of smell than their eyesight or hearing. A bear can still smell human odor on trails for up to 14 hours after you have been there. It is highly recommended that you wear rubber boots when hunting your station.

As bears mature their sense of smell does too. They become more aware of their surroundings and natural scents in the air. That is why you will end up getting pre-teen bears coming in sooner than a mature boar. Baiting is a great opportunity for hunters to mask their human scent with attractants. It allows bears to let their guard down and come in.

If you notice this season that you are having a hard time bringing in an old boar. Take note of what you have been around. Deodorant, detergents, soap, hair products, lotions, even the air-freshener in your vehicle

A tip to get the smell out of your hunting clothes:

Pour a layer of Arm & Hammer Cat Litter in the bottom of an airtight tote.
    Place a trash bag flat over the litter and lay clothes in and shut for 24 hours. The carbon and arm & hammer from the litter will lift the smells out of your clothing. Get the musty smell out

Lots of new baiters this year. I thought this might help ya out
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

HEY JESS? do you have a sence of smell left after all that cooking? or does everything smell like anise?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    To put a bear's sense of smell in perspective. My research states that a bloodhound can smell 300 times better than a human and a bear can smell seven times better than a bloodhound. That makes a bear's sense of smell 2100 times better than ours. Impressive!

Bears rely more on their sense of smell than their eyesight or hearing. A bear can still smell human odor on trails for up to 14 hours after you have been there. It is highly recommended that you wear rubber boots when hunting your station.

As bears mature their sense of smell does too. They become more aware of their surroundings and natural scents in the air. That is why you will end up getting pre-teen bears coming in sooner than a mature boar. Baiting is a great opportunity for hunters to mask their human scent with attractants. It allows bears to let their guard down and come in.

If you notice this season that you are having a hard time bringing in an old boar. Take note of what you have been around. Deodorant, detergents, soap, hair products, lotions, even the air-freshener in your vehicle

A tip to get the smell out of your hunting clothes:

Pour a layer of Arm & Hammer Cat Litter in the bottom of an airtight tote.
    Place a trash bag flat over the litter and lay clothes in and shut for 24 hours. The carbon and arm & hammer from the litter will lift the smells out of your clothing. Get the musty smell out

Lots of new baiters this year. I thought this might help ya out
    I've read that before I think it came from a research paper from someone at the University of Montana.
    Chuck

Vince,
    I had a special order for a beaver castor ball. I think I was spitting out my toenails at one point. Hacccc puuuueee That stuff can make you doubt you have lungs! I had to rip off my mask and run for the door.

I have had some weird requests this time around. Banana split, onion but I had to draw the line at skunk. There is no way I could get that out of my skin. Although, I did see some skunk scent remover at Sportsman Warehouse... why take the chance. Right?
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

jess we only ask you to come up with these special scents because we are to chicken to do it ourselves and our wives probably wouldn't let us in the house with them.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    jess we only ask you to come up with these special scents because we are to chicken to do it ourselves and our wives probably wouldn't let us in the house with them.
    So you're saying he's brave enough to try, or dumb enough? Whatever the case, you're making a great product- keep it up, Jess. Thanks for the info on sense of smell.

A little question- if their sense of smell is 2100 times greater than ours, does that mean if we can smell something at 50 feet, they could smell it at 105,000 feet? (21 miles?) hmmmm that would be something!

Default get em used to it

some folks on here say let them get used to your scent by leaving a t shirt or some other article of clothing that has your scent on it..everytime you go out put in a new article so the scent is fresh...eventuallyt the drive for food will over power the warning of scent...especially since you arent' there ....i tried this last year and watched a bear come over and play with a sweaty t-shirt that i tied into a tree....it was stinky too it was very hot and dry that day and i made eight trips in with bait and gear
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default Poop

Take a big Poop next to your bait , that outa do it! If he comes back he's yours.

My uncle recently told me that they really love the smell of liquid smoke. One of his friends puts it in a spray bottle and squirts it all over the place. I don't think he sprays it on himself though, that would be a bear to get the scent off (no pun). I guess its worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man Jack View Post
    My uncle recently told me that they really love the smell of liquid smoke. One of his friends puts it in a spray bottle and squirts it all over the place. I don't think he sprays it on himself though, that would be a bear to get the scent off (no pun). I guess its worth a try.
    Try a liquid smoke burn.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com