Thread: PACK-RAFTS by Feathercraft

Post PACK-RAFTS by Feathercraft

Wanted to thank everyone for a 'boat-kickin' Alaska Sportsman's Show in Anchorage this past weekend... all the great compliments, high energy, and customer support.

Two new Pack-Rafts have been introduced by Feathercraft... you may recognize the respected, high-quality name from the world's leader in expedition fold-able sea-kayaks made in Canada.

In the first picture is a 1-person packraft --- all welded urethane construction (fabric is made in USA) built and designed in Canada. Spray skirt with extreme weather resistant zipper including suspenders is welded to the boat. Best feature of this Pack-Raft is 2 chambers with real raft valves plus two mouth inflation valves as well. There are fewer seams, and it is not mitered bow or stern for cleaner looking transition lines on its dimensions. Show price: $900 6 lbs. in a dry-bag w/ 7.4 oz accessory removable/positionable skeg to prevent some of the side to side wagging.

The second larger pack-raft pictured is L 8'6" x W 3'7". At 14 lbs it is bigger... importantly also more rugged fabrication with regards to fabric base cloth & coating. All urethane welded construction. Again two chambers with real raft valves plus two mouth valves. No spray skirt comes attached to this model. This boat does include 2 seats (one w/backrest) pump, 2 Werner oars, a packable/tool-free row frame w/ oar locks, and removable/positionable skeg. Show price: $1700.

Goo Vogt at Alaska WildWater 907-345-4308 in Anchorage is representing the Feathercraft pack-rafts for Alaska.

Attached Images Attached Images

Default nice boats

These look like nice boats,
    do you handle them Brian?
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I have not paddled these new Pack Rafts yet... Goo Vogt at Alaska WildWater is bringing these boats in.

Not 100% on having them in fully-guided program or self guided rentals (that also could serve as demo) just yet... a multi-day trip or two would pay for 'em out of pocket.

A little more weight - yet longer, wider, 2 chambers, w/ oars... I see the larger 10 lb. (or 14 lb. including frame, oars and all) with more capacity as the suitable set up out there currently for people needing pocket boats to cross un-wadable water that are more familiar at the oars vs. kayak paddles.

If the fly-weight pack-boat is the ticket --- this urethane fabric on the little boat is good as any high end Pack-raft with major benefit of having two chambers and real valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    I have not paddled these new Pack Rafts yet... Goo Vogt at Alaska WildWater is bringing these boats in.

Not 100% on having them in fully-guided program or self guided rentals (that also could serve as demo) just yet... a multi-day trip or two would pay for 'em out of pocket.

A little more weight - yet longer, wider, 2 chambers, w/ oars... I see the larger 10 lb. (or 14 lb. including frame, oars and all) with more capacity as the suitable set up out there currently for people needing pocket boats to cross un-wadable water that are more familiar at the oars vs. kayak paddles.

If the fly-weight pack-boat is the ticket --- this urethane fabric on the little boat is good as any high end Pack-raft with major benefit of having two chambers and real valves.
    Brian,

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the advantage of the "real valves" just the they are built in with check valves?? Just curious whatcha mean by real valves. Interesting looking boats for sure.

i'd like to see some pics of it packed down in the bag.
    i own a yukon yak and pack size is the whole conversation.
    just curious. looks sweet. take care, abel6wt

Default "Real valves" = higher flow?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    ... what is the advantage of the "real valves" just the they are built in with check valves?? Just curious whatcha mean by real valves...
    Karen Jettmar's comment from another thread sheds some light here:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=79170

"...Feathercraft has a Halkey Roberts valve, which means you can pump it up with a pump FAST, or still use the airbag provided (which has a valve attached)..."

Sounds like both high flow and the check valves