Thread: Drift sock size for 24' bayliner trophy

Default Drift sock size for 24' bayliner trophy

I was told that having a drift sock really helps when you are fishing for halibut and not anchoring. I purchased what the guy recommended to me which was a 36" drift sock. Seemed kinda small. Anybody use one for this size boat... if so what size. I think size does matter on this one.

Default All depends

The drift sock is designed to slow down your boat as it is being pushed across the water by the wind. If the tide switches the current may be pulling you faster than the wind is pushing. Alot of people use the drift sock when they are trolling to slow them down too. The size of the sock depends on how fast you want to drift.

There is a difference between a drift sock and a drift anchor.

Default bottom fishing

I intend to use it as a drift sock, for bottom fishing... not a drift anchor.

I believe they are the same thing but size will make the difference on your speed. I've use a 5 gallon bucket to slow me down. The amount of wind, current, and weight, size of your boat will all play into your speed od drift. Depending how you want to drift will make a difference on deployment. Big water I would use it from the bow, great light wind day from the side. In an emergency and you need to keep your bow in waves is where size will help. I carry a 72" for my 24' hewes just for the emergency purpose. Your 36" will help your drift fishing and should still keep your bow into the waves in big water but you will still be covering ground. Just pay out more line to keep it in the water.

Default Drift Sock

I use a 42" sock on my 22ft hewscraft and sometimes wish I had gotten a size larger.