Thread: Good article on lubricants

Default Good article on lubricants

Good reading here....

good read on the lubricants there

After a lifetime messing with this subject I can tell anyone that will listen that I do not know of a subject that has less reliable information than anything that has less information on the subject than chemicals, this not just in the firearms field but every aspect of life.

I really did enjoy the article and would like to than you for the link, I do highly recommend Lubriplate the government started by issuing this lube in WWII and I do miss the days when it was available for a nickle a tube. Yes it was replaced by LSI in the 1960's for the M-60 machine gun and the M-134 Mini-gun. I think it had to do more with cooling in the tropics.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    ... I do highly recommend Lubriplate ... .
    Isn't that what they use in San Francisco and Massachusetts?

Default Lubes

I've been using ATF for years on both the internal and external surfaces. It does a great job where you need a light oil and really makes a good blued surface look great. Another big advantage of ATF not mentioned in the article is the low pour point - ATF is still very liquid a temperatures of -40 or lower

For rust prevention good old RIG is still hard to beat.

I've played around with the various greases and currently using some Mobile 100% synthetic stuff. I've also used some of EP greases for high loaded surfaces where it seems to works well.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I do highly recommend Lubriplate
    Al, where are you getting your Lubriplate from?

I would like to add something to this article (BTW, very good) and that is Anti-Seize compounds are some of the very best greases that you can use. I really like using a nickel based anti-seize, you can not get better protection in between parts. The nickel anti-seize is particularly useful on stainless auto loader slides, to prevent galling. The grease really just carries the powdered nickel. The powdered nickel is like having babbitt bearings between parts.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Al, where are you getting your Lubriplate from?

Auto parts supply houses. A tube lasts for years. I really like the engine assembly lube that comes in a tube. Yes it is a white grease like all the rest. This food equipment grease is not all that hard to get, in fact the food grade greases are easy to find.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson