Thread: buku snowfall/spring bears

Default buku snowfall/spring bears

I noticed Daveinthebush had posted huge snowfall totals already in Valdez in the snowmachine forum.
    If you are a non-res and planning that hunt now, it might be a good year to plan for a later Spring hunt for blackies in the Sound...
    It could leave at about "normal" timing, but who knows?
    If its really deep in the early season the bears might be denned substantially longer...

Any thoughts?

Default Hard to tell

I think it might be a little early to guess. Last year looked like it was going to be fine. But cooler temperatures kept the snow from melting up high.

Yes it is a little deeper than last year. 151+ (+what is coming down right now) to 124 last year.

I have bear hunting pictures form three years ago. The difference between then and last spring showed about a two week delay in the greenery and about the same in bear activity. I never saw a sow with cubs until the last week of baiting.

Is this an affect of global warming? Is Al Gore right?

At least it is in the high 20's-low 30-'s today. I have a window open.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I don't know about Valdez bears, but I'm pretty sure Al Gore hasn't been right since he invented the internet.

Default Last Spring

I just finished watching a guy hunt black bears in Alberta. The guide said the same thing about last spring. It was late two weeks.

We how have 170" of snow.......still short of our average but it is only Jan.

I hope its not like last year. We've never had this much snow going into bear camp. Usually we will find pockets of snow and the pond below the cabin will be 50% broken up but last year was crazy.

When was that photontaken Blink?
    Some friends invited me to run over there with them Mother's Day weekend. Is that going to be early for the "road system" there?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

This was the first weekend in May. We always go to bear camp the first friday of may. This was just outside of Tok.

Default it's Beaucoup...

If you mean the French term for "A lot"...

Vance, usually its about perfect time to be out there. We will set the bait out on that saturday on the way to the cabin and usually by tuesday we are getting hit hard for the 2 weeks we are out there. This past spring took a few extra days. Where you gonna go over mothers day?

Default It Ain't Over

I moved 8-10 inches on Sat. I moved 5-6 inches on Sunday.
    I just got done doing another 12-16 inches tonight.
    USWS now claims 179.1" for the year over in Valdez. If it keeps up it will take a pretty warm spring to melt her off. It is only January.

Default whoa

Man thats some powder totals for this early, Dave.

Blink, I don't really know where we'll be. I was invited & am more or less along for the ride. I've been to Valdez a couple of times but don't know the area. They mentioned doing spot-n-stalk off of the roads around there. There is also a chance we'll bring a boat & hunt the beaches too. I'll actually be hunting with several guys none of whom I've met. One I've become well aquainted with by the net & phone lives in Kodiak & he's the one that invited me. I usually hunt alone or with someone I know well so this will be an adventure for me.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Hyder has Snow

Smile

Hyder has Snow
    But you're still wearing your tennies!

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post

Is this an affect of global warming? Is Al Gore right?

Yes it is, global warming means warmer water and more ocean evaporation and thus more snow, notice that it was in the 70s in the midwest and east coast for a lot of the country which usual temeratures are around 40s we got lucky this year and are having a normal winter like the ones I remember as a kid. Al Gore should however be quiet and leave global climate change to the scientists that know what they are talking about. All I'm saying is that the earth has been warming exponentially since the end of the little ice age (and start of the industrial revolution) and the temperature trend line follows CO2 trend line almost exactally. So to conclude Al Gore is an idiot but for the most part he is correct, in a round about way.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.