Thread: Glennallen Air Taxi Recco

Default Glennallen Air Taxi Recco

Looking for recommendations.

Fixed wheel and floats.

Drew a sheep tag in the area.

Default Call Dave

at Copper Valley Air. I also think there is Al Lee or maybe his son flying out of Tolsona Lake.

yup.... both the above

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default Air taxi in Glenallen

I think Lee's Air Taxi is still runnin'...........not sure, but he has flown many sheephunters into that area.

Default Post His Phone Number and contact.

I really want to interview AL Lee. Please post his phone number if you guys can get it. I haven't been able to get ahold of him. I think that they are snow birds. I want to find out about the Summit Lake Ram.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

I'll walk down there and check .... hang on

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default Summit Lake Ram

The one shot in the park?? I've heard some stories about that one. Quite a ram though!

I think someones around the planes been moved around, or I was looking at one of the CVA planes? either way,.. I'll keep an eye out

Default The Ram

Shshshsh.....................You guys are offering too much info.

If you really need to know, talk to the sheep bio in Glenallen......she's quite a sheephunter too.........

Al is not doing well and not expected to live too much longer. His son Jerry has been in Anch to stay close to him. He will be back at his house this week. Jerry is still flying in fact takes me to my moose camp every year. Awesome guy and his phone # is 227-2883...

Sorry to hear that, Al is one hell of a pilot and Alaskan in every sense of the word. Jerry is no different, my prayers to the family.

Default Al Lee's Sheep

Al Lee shot a dall ram reportedly on Summit Lake pre ANILCA that is from the accounts of most of the sheep hunting fraternity to one of the top 5 sheep ever taken. It is one of these stories that you hear about. Al has always been a model for Alaskans-somebody who was felt to to follow the highest standards and to help everybody he could. I hope that he gets better. He had the sheep mounted but he never entered it into BC.
    It is one of the big sheep that sheep hunters talk about around smoky campfires or over coffee on cold winter evenings.

The outlaw park ram (47X42 with 14+ bases) that is being mentioned was also shot near Summit Lake. It was a member of a band of rams that David Harkness noted as the Magnificent Seven. Each likely to be nearly 180BC or close to it. The rams were spotted during different sightings in the early 1980s. Its story was that the hunter had a picture of the harvested ram on his desk and a ranger noted a specific hole formation that was from the park. They went to the location where the sheep was taken and found evidence of the sheep. It was confiscated and then it was stolen from the Park Service Headquarters in Copper Center. Never to be see again. NPS purged the case from their case files. It is an interesting story. Some people believe that the ram mount was smuggled into Canada and then shipped to Germany. I have always had an interest in this story but its a hard one to pin down. People loved the look of that ram and have pictures all over the place yet.

Becky knows quite a bit about sheep. These old monster ram stories are a bit harder to find out about. I have been working for some time on getting information about them because while Jack Wilson wrote his book and Cook's ram has been written about many of the big Dall Sheep have not been entered in BC unlike almost every other species. It is part of Alaskan history that people kind of not want to develop and I think it might of been one of the best era's of Alaskan Hunting and Fishing history. There is a bit of mystery to each story element.

Sincerely,
    Thomas