Thread: Yanert Moose Permit

Default Yanert Moose Permit

The permits are out so I thought I would short circuit a bunch of PM asking me about the area. Here is my response to all that drew that area.

I drew that tag in 2006 but ended up not hunting because of the logistics on my part. Biggest part of my problem was the air service I was going to use got flooded out when the Big Su went wild that August and he spent the time trying to get his life back together. The only way in is to walk, horse, or fly. It is a good looking area and the game biologist says the bulls come in towards the end of September because it is a prime breeding area with lots of cows. I did alot of research on the area. There are 2 flying services out of Cantwell but one hunts the area and won't take you in. The other ones' phone number was 907-978-0300. I found them by stopping in and asking at the campgrounds about half way between the parks highway and Cantwell on the north side. I also have topo maps of the entire area and you can have them also by going to the USGS store on the university campus in Anchorage. Sorry I can't really give you more help than this.

Randy

Randy,

Thanks for the information. I found that most of the hunt entrance area is Ahtna land...see attached map. Flying in appears to be the best way to hunt this area.

Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default trail access

there is an easement trail allowing access through ahtna land.....most people ignore the private land and start hunting before they get through however......i advice would be to call Lance and he'll get you in there...he flew me in two years ago and i was successfull....good luck with your hunt
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Ahtna sells permits to allow people to cross their land when you want to go in where there is no easement. You can't hunt on their land, but you can legally cross it with a permit (around $50 - can't recall the exact amount). That's the route I'd take, as you'll likely be all alone and don't have to go all that far off the road to get back on public land.

I'd expect some serious company on a fly in.

There is one public landing strip in the entire drainage, 90% of the people that fly in hunt within a mile of it. This year alone I know of at least 8 people that will be hunting off that strip. That doesn't count locals with harvest tags, and everyone else who drew the tag (95) that plans on flying in there. Couple that with an outfitter who's main camp is 2 miles downriver of the strip that runs horses up and down the drainage on a daily basis. I think he takes about 12 moose hunters a year in there, as well as sheep and bear hunters all fall. The animals area around people all season long! If you find a moose don't expect to be the only person after it.

I hunted it last year and couldn't believe the number of planes and people we saw on a daily basis. At one time there was 4 different groups camped within half a mile of that strip. Planes flying all day long, horses coming and going every evening and afternoon. A couple different floaters landing and heading down the river. I'd imagine there is less pressure off the highway. The only thing missing was ATV's buzzing up and down the river bank. I think a Hatchers Pass hunt would offer more solitude and probably better harvest chances. Actually I think the harvest rates for fly in vs off the highway is about 2x greater off the highway. Makes sense to me, less pressure... and no planes flying around all day long

I won't be hunting it again anytime soon.

Bambi's pretty close there. I too hunted it a couple of times, succesfully and while busy, it's also a unique area in the the Moose are very high. Be prepared to hike a lot.
    The Guide that's in there has no lease, he's squating State land and he's hammering the area. We talked to him and an Asst. one evening (The were retreiving an animal) he's claiming 25-30 Moose a season that are all >50" and 4-tine. His web site also calims a 90% success rate. There was a 185 that was making 2-3 trips per day and we'd see a Cub at least once if not twice a day. It was not Lance BTW, he won't fly for him. Apparently, the guide has had problems with all past air carriers, ask around. The Troopers also said that he's (The Guide) taking as many as 5-6 Sheep per year. I found his web site a while back, if I remember, he's getting $14k just for a Moose. That's some serious numbers for the guide. he shows up in late July or early August and hauls in the horses, sets up camp. I don't see how the numbers he's harveting at are sustainable, but what does he care, He's from Montana.
    One other thing interesting is that there were very few bear signs in the times I've been there. My camps have never been messed with. If you are prepared to get way up and off the river, there are good Moose in there. I've also seen Caribou and of course, Wolf tracks. But for another one or two hour drive or hour of flight, go further north and get away from this over used area. Bambi's right too in that the Moose here are aware of people. There is only one piece of privately held land and that's up at the very end of valley near the glacier. They have an air strip and kind of a portable hangar. I also noticed that thay made it very clear that they want no one on that strip. X ============= X He's made a nice place though, good for him.

Any ideas on where the landing strip that most people use is located?