Thread: delta sheep permit

Default delta sheep permit

just finding out about my son drawing a delta sheep tag and was hoping to get a little info from someone who has had the permit before and making this the best first sheep hunt hes been on. any info would be very helpfull........

Make sure you use the search function here, and when you do, use the "advanced search" function, as it will provide much better results.

In short, this hunt has been done by a lot of our members and there are a lot of hunt reports in the archives. Spend a few hours reading - it is likely that you'll be able to glean a lot of useful information.

Might help if you specify if your son drew the motorized or non-motorized Delta Sheep hunt.

Default delta motorized sheep hunt

i guess that would help out, mototized...................
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Might help if you specify if your son drew the motorized or non-motorized Delta Sheep hunt.

Default DCUA...late late

Motorized hunt period...then my guidance would be to hunt as late as you dare...to hunt as late as Sept 10th through Sept 20th.

Rams that no hunter will ever see early become accessible late.
    Very few permit holders will listen to this advice because...1) They feel they need to get out hunting as soon as possible....2) they perfer the warmer weather and longer days of late Aug...3)or they want to hunt September moose somewhere else.
    And those hunters will miss out on the solitude of late season hunting, as well as the monster rams that decend from the roughest DCUA mountain tops with the early Sept snow.

But early or late...it is a great hunt for a physically and mentally prepared athlete-hunter.

Dennis

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

I drew this permit 2 years ago and also drew it this year. Except I drew the walk in permit. I went in late for my permit time frame and was successful. Dont worry too much about when he goes. If he goes late, then he might have to go further back and put more effort in, but he might get a larger one as well. Going in early might be the easier hunt, but might end up settling for a smaller one. Either way, a legal ram is a nice animal and is very rewarding. I would highly recommend contacting the Delta biologist with fish and game and he will give you typical drainages that are hunted and the success rates and hunting pressure each receives. If the weather is good, they will aerial sheep survery counts available for you as well in June or July. Good luck.

How far should one expect to hike to get into legal rams during the early season hunt? 5, 10, 15 miles? More?

Trying to get a feel for how long I should set aside to do this hunt right.

Thanks
    Bobble

Default longer is better (?)

...distance to hike, (or motor during the second hunt) depends mostly on which trail head you go in from. Some are shorter hikes. Some are very long hikes to access the ram country

Dennis,i have too say your posts are spot on....good info for those that will listen....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

I know two guys that got 36" and 37" rams less than 4 miles from the highway last year. One of them was down at the creek, the other was 1000' or so above the creek.

I hunted this last year as well and did a fly in. We were about 25 miles from the highway and shot a 35" ram a few miles from where the plan dropped us off at.

I would say though that going further than the next guy will give you a better chance. Always exceptions to the rule though.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    How far should one expect to hike to get into legal rams during the early season hunt? 5, 10, 15 miles? More?

Trying to get a feel for how long I should set aside to do this hunt right.

Thanks
    Bobble

When I went in with a buddy who drew the walk-in tag back in '08, we were 20+ miles in if I recall. Don't have maps handy... But we had the place to ourselves, the rams weren't a bit spooky, and my buddy got one. The hike out with loaded packs was tiring, to say the least.

check the sheep hunt link below. This is information from the Charlie Boyd for either the walk or motorized.

It was a hunt of a life time and many photos attached.

Plenty of sheep in that area, I drew that tag last year and was successful in tagging a ram. I know of one guy that rode in with some friends, set up camp, hunted the next day and shot a nice broomed ram and were done and gone in 2 days. I spent 2 weeks trying to find a legal ram and saw plenty of sublegal rams before I got mine. If you can wait it out, I would go the last 10 days when pressure is minimal and the rams become less wary. Good luck.

Default Find an area that isn't...

as easy to access. I hunted it twice in 08. Went up the Gerstle with atv's all the way to the glacier. Didn't see a single sheep. Met Hoosier up there I am pretty sure. It was a fun trip and drive though! Nothing like seeing your buddy "sink" his wheeler while he was on it!

Then went the last possible weekend in the season. Got into an area that people had been in the week before. I got where most say I couldn't. I saw a lot of rams (at least 60) and only 2 were close to being legal, but they weren't. They were VERY spooky as they had been hunted for a few weeks. I have a bit more information on where I could have went. It is BEAUTIFUL country and saw some impressive caribou also! Enjoyed the trip very much as I went solo. I haven't put in for DCUA since then, but will start putting in again. I just am not into shooting a 33" ram from there.

Thumbs up info is spot on.

I haven't hunted the Delta area for sheep, but having hunted them a few times, I'd have to agree with alot of what is being said here. The easily accessed areas have fewer legal rams and the sheep are overall pretty spooky from getting chased around alot.

We hiked 5 miles up this drainage this year when we shot our rams. We had no idea they were there when I looked over and 3 rams are just standing there, about 300 yards away. They just stood and stared. We were in a place that had received practically 0 hunting pressure though, so that explains quite a bit of their behavior.

I'd be looking to get back into a drainage quite a distance if I were you. No sense in trying to hunt an area that's been hunted and look for a legal ram that might not be there at all. You never know though, a big ole ram might come out late in the year after everyones done and headed home and you guys might be in the right place at the right time.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

My son drew that tag two years ago, we crossed the Delta river and hunted up Black Rapid for six hard days of hunting, saw 4 legal rams, all down low where you first hit the ice at the bottom end of the glacier, They all 4 were up high off the ice on the north side. very steep and mean, none were worth taking my son after on that mean ground!. left and went back out to highway, next morning went up the Castner and found 8 rams all bunched up, 3 legal!, son took this 39x14 out of the bunch!. We were on the second hunt at the end....I like hunting late ...real late for sheep!

Default That's a beauty

The Castner was going to be my choice, but there were a couple of rigs in there in 08, so chose not to walk in and mess up someone else's hunt. Great looking sheep!

THX, that is Triangle Peak in the back round of the first picture!
    This is a better pic of his ram, F&G aged him at 11 at time of plugging, I had him at 10!