Thread: Where do I Find Depth Charts?

Default Where do I Find Depth Charts?

I'm looking to find Depth Charts for areas around Knight Island in PWS. Where would I find these charts? We will have a zodiac and a shrimp pot and would like to bring a few charts out with us to determine where I can set the pot so it's at the correct depth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Eagle Enterprises on International
    Boatless

Default NOAA Booklet Charts

http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/BookletC...kletCharts.htm

Look for 16700-16709. One or more of those should suit your needs. Depending on which side of Knight you plan to be on, try 16701.

Note - these can take a long time to download, so I recommend saving a copy to your hard drive for future reference.

Charts are good, but you really need a sounder to find out where you are dropping your pots. Most of Knight drops off steeply to very, very deep water. You could easily think you were in 400' of water and really be in 1000' of water.

Do you have a GPS/fishfinder that accepts the Navionics cards? If you do they are invaluable and well worth the $199 or so you have to spend on it. They are WAY more detailed than the NOAA charts. And I don't work for Navionics. I am just saying that from my own experience with mine.

Default Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Charts are good, but you really need a sounder to find out where you are dropping your pots. Most of Knight drops off steeply to very, very deep water. You could easily think you were in 400' of water and really be in 1000' of water.
    This is exactly correct. The charts have not been updated since the 64 quake either. So many areas are off a little. Also some areas are wrong. We found a nice little bay one year that the chart said was 10'. It turned out to be 40' and a perfect little anchorage.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

if you have an iphone there is a navionics app that shows the western charts for 14.99. with the GPS on the phone it makes a good emergency chart plotter.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    if you have an iphone there is a navionics app that shows the western charts for 14.99. with the GPS on the phone it makes a good emergency chart plotter.
    Works in theory, but AT&T has little to no coverage in the Sound. Have you used this application out of Homer?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

works well here.
    i don't thing that it is driven by wireless, as the GPS is independent of coverage, and the chart is loaded in the phone....
    but i havent played with it a whole lot.
    maybe i will turn off my router and see how it works in the yard...

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    This is exactly correct. The charts have not been updated since the 64 quake either. So many areas are off a little. Also some areas are wrong. We found a nice little bay one year that the chart said was 10'. It turned out to be 40' and a perfect little anchorage.
    LOL! That's for sure! Yeah, I wouldn't use the Navionics chart for actual navigational purposes. Especially along shorelines there are a lot of places I go where it says I'm on land, and a lot of places I go where it says there's land but I sure don't see it. LOL! I often troll within a hundred feet of shore in some places.

I got the "Fish 'n chip" that comes for free (you have to mail away for it with a coupon you get when you buy the Navionics card) and it is detailed down to fathom lines. I wouldn't want to say they are precise, but it gives you an excellent and unparalleled idea of what the bottom looks like in any given area. Though I find when it says I'm over 20 fathoms it's usually within a few feet at most.

Once again well worth purchasing. If I had known years ago how powerful it is I would not have given a second thought to purchasing one. I can't imagine any serious fisherman not having one out there.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/16700.shtml

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/16701.shtml

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/16705.shtml

I have a topographic/bathrythmic map titled Seward NP 6-7. It's nice as it has contour lines so gives one an idea of where to key in on fishing/shrimping areas.

You really do need a sounder that will read to 600' or you run the risk of loosing your gear. It'll be enough of a workout pulling shrimp pots by hand from a zodiak, you don't want to increase the fun by dropping in the wrong spot.

just went out and checked on the iphone app, it works well as far as a gps/chart plotter with no AT&T service, but the googlemap overlays don't work.
    as muttley said, the navionics charts will occasionally show you going through a rock like you were buckaroo bonzai, but for the most part they are pretty accurate. i have groundchecked mine on several important hazards (lancashire rock, for instance) and found it to be spot-on.

West marine, and APU map store has maps.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Thanks!

Awesome guys, appreciate the help!

Those nav charts should do for our purposes, I'm not too worried about being spot on, +/- 30 feet should be fine. We're just planning on dropping a pot or two for fun and see what we can catch.

I have shrimped from a Kayak before (believe it or not), and we were pulling up about 70 shrimp a pot out of Blackstone with a dinky little map and a little wooden wheel while using rotten grizzly meat for bait. We were told to drop it somewhere between 400'-600', is this what you guys have found as the "sweet spot"?

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    just went out and checked on the iphone app, it works well as far as a gps/chart plotter with no AT&T service, but the googlemap overlays don't work.
    as muttley said, the navionics charts will occasionally show you going through a rock like you were buckaroo bonzai, but for the most part they are pretty accurate. i have groundchecked mine on several important hazards (lancashire rock, for instance) and found it to be spot-on.
    Thanks for checking that, Dave.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.