Thread: Which flies should I bring

Default Which flies should I bring

I am planning on floating the deshka the end of May. I was wondering which flies I should bring. I was thinking dolly lammas? (not sure about the spelling). Sculpin patterns and smolt patterns for rainbows in the spring. Purple egg sucking electric leeches and articulated leeches for Kings. If you could bring 5 flies with you for this trip, what would you bring? Can you guys help me out please?

For Trout
    1) Thunder Creek
    2) Egg Sucking Zonker, White
    3) Crystal Wooly Zonker, Gray and White
    4) Black Conehead Wooly Bugger
    5) Elk Hair Caddis

For Salmon
    1) Guide Intruder Chartruse/Orange
    2) Skykomish Sunrise
    3) Egg Sucking Leach
    4) Flash Fly
    5) Green Butt Skunk
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Good list

Thanks AK Powder Monkey. Do you think the elk hair caddis would really work in May? I have had luck with them before, but usually it was when a hatch was going on in July or August. What about nymphs, like a gold ribbed hare's ear? Or a prince nymph? Would those make your list?

hap

Bushwhack
    I am with you on the elk hair caddis. I would have them... just because... but doubt they would be used in May.

Battle Creek
    assorted soft hackles in 8-14
    big stonefly nymphs

Thunder Creek and buggers I agree on

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Thanks AK Powder Monkey. Do you think the elk hair caddis would really work in May? I have had luck with them before, but usually it was when a hatch was going on in July or August. What about nymphs, like a gold ribbed hare's ear? Or a prince nymph? Would those make your list?
    Yes, there is a big caddis hatch in late may in the valley if the weather cooperates. It really picks up in mid June. Its also a basic token dry that I threw in there to catch grayling.

Nymphs don't work in Alaska you should never fish them especially not size 16 pheasant tails

Default It doesn't require a hatch.

Althought often there is something coming off once things warm up, you rarely have to match it. Usually the bows are just off spawning and are on the feed and with not that much to eat until fry or smolt start running hard, you can find surprising dry action in May....definitely worth bringing.

This happens out in Bristol Bay too, it's just that the crowds aren't there yet to cash in...but they still use dries in mid June once in a while.

Little black stones were coming off the kenai a few weeks ago... I see a caddis and a small stone looking very similar...

Skwalas, Big Caddis, Midges and a very few BWOs are coming off daily in Juneau

grayling were rising last nite in a 10' long by oh 3 or 4' wide opening in the ice....I'm assuming a midge hatch very sparse/sporadic.....

Boy 5 of each eh..

Kings,
    fuscha bunny
    fuscha bunny
    fuscha bunny
    fuscha bunny
    fat freddie, many colors (fuschia, orange, and chartuese, and a mix of orange/chartuese, tied not to big so you can get it down without casting an anchor

trout/grayling
    definatly zonker in white
    maybe an epoxy smolt
    conehead zuddler
    griffiths gnat
    the 5'ths a toss up
    pt, pearl scud, or copper john, your pick.

Default Thanks Tradbow

Good selection. What do you guys think about a sculpin pattern? What's the best? Do you think bows will be that far up the river this early in the season? Don't they migrate into the big Su?