Thread: Who all is using a 416 ruger?

Default Who all is using a 416 ruger?

I have seen very few 416 Rugers for sale.I am wondering if they are still making any at all .I think the 416 Ruger is awesome.To be able to fit in a standard action with that much power is alot of pop for the size.I hope they keep making them.They do need a longer barrel a 22 " I think.I have a 416 rem mag with a 22" barrel and its perfict.I think Hornady is missing the boat not loading the 350 gr Speer in the 416 Ruger or making their own.You can run it at 2400 fps and still have 4500 ft pounds of Energy without so much recoil .I have used this load in my 416 rem mag alot.I have got to get a 416 Ruger before they quit making them.I am considering turning my old Ruger 77 in 7 mm rem mag into a 416 ruger.I like the tang safety alot better than the model 70 winchester safety .I would like to hear from any 416 ruger shooters on here.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Of all the new Ruger cartridges this is the only one that interest me with the exception of the 204 Ruger.

I have a custom rifle chambered in 416 Ruger. I have not shot it much, but I definately love the rifle/cartridge combo. BTW I have a 24 inch tube on it.

I've shot one of the Hawkeyes , Alaskan version I guess, with the Hogue stock, kind of a *****cat. Has Ruger released any info on the walnut stocked, African version?? I hope they bed the action in any walnut stock they come out with. The puny 375 broke them at the wrist, I'm sure the 416 will also.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

You just shot it? Nothing more to say?!

dgr416

am keen on the caliber too...have a Higgins Model 50 action resting here awaiting something. Not sure to do it in a .338 win mag or one of the RUGER cals....the .416 could do. My action feeds the med. belted mags with smooth precision..will weigh a decision soon. In any case this action will go over to PacNor for barrel fitting and chambering. Then NECG's and off to get some cerakote.

wonder how the brass availability is....

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    You just shot it? Nothing more to say?!
    Well, yeah, I had lots more to say. First I tried the 375 Ruger in the Alaskan black version with that disgusting rubber stock. It sucked as expected and that particular rifle shot nice vertical 4 inch groups. I also bought the African version of the 375 and broke the stock after a half box of Hornady 270 grain ammo. Anyway got it swapped out then when the rifle came back from Ruger, I put the 20" gun in it. Groups went to about 2" with the twenty inch gun then the stock broke again. I think I ranted about this in a post about the 375 Ruger way back then. I ordered a McMillan stock for the Hawkeye and conned Ruger into sending me a new stock again for the African. I sent the 20" inch gun (barrelled action) to McMillan to fit the new stock and put the 23" African in the rubber stock. It shot nice 4" vertical groups just like the 20". It had shot one group of about 2" before it broke before. I gave the Hogue stock to a guy in Fairbanks and waited for new stocks. In the mean time I bought another 20" stainless Alaskan model for ($669.00) with the Hogue stock. Factory and handloads netted no better than 3" groups. I sold it for $750. The buyer said how does it shoot; I said it needs a stock. (Sorry, Jim)

My McMillan stocked 20" Alaskan version with the black finish (whatever that is) will shoot 260 partitions into an inch or less and with the 300 grain Hornady bullets and H4350 powder will net less than 1.5" groups.

This rubber mounted 416 is about ten times worse with its grouping ability. Its owner was scoping with a nice Leupold 1.5-5X20 and couldn't get it to group better than 6". I am a much better shot......I got four and a half inch groups. That rifle is now in Arizona.

It is a great design from many perspectives but a 5000 ft lbs M.E. rifle needs a solid platform and that is the stock.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    dgr416

am keen on the caliber too...have a Higgins Model 50 action resting here awaiting something. Not sure to do it in a .338 win mag or one of the RUGER cals....the .416 could do. My action feeds the med. belted mags with smooth precision..will weigh a decision soon. In any case this action will go over to PacNor for barrel fitting and chambering. Then NECG's and off to get some cerakote.

wonder how the brass availability is....
    I've made a half dozen calibers on the 375 Ruger case and feeding is generally very good. Converting any of the American belted mags works best. You may need a different follower or file down existing. A long action Sako push feeder works very well. I did have one made on M98 Mauser action with a modified case necked to accept .423" bullets (the old 404 Jeffery bullet diameter). This was done by a very good South African Gunsmith.

The case has very little taper and has a 30 degree shoulder. I added a little more taper, .010" and a 25 degree shoulder this feeds better in CRF actions but requires a forming die to make the brass. I make it from 375 Ruger basic. it is soft annealed and forms well. If you do not modify the case any at all you will likely need to modify the follower to get good feeding from the CRF actions.

Brass availability for the 375, and likely the 416 soon, as well as the Hornady Basic straight brass is very good. I have made calibers by necking that brass to .338", .358", .366", .411", .416" and .423" successfully with that brass. Some had other modifications to the brass. It's a good case.

So the McMillan stock is just what the doctor ordered for that rifle? I know of one left-handed .375 ruger (black laminate stock/stainless) that the owner sings its praises....not encouraged to hear about your sub-standard findings...

Default Who all is shooting the 416 Ruger

I have three 416 rem mags.Two Remington 700s one has a HS stock on it the Big Game Rifle which I love.The other is the Stainless one with the Kevelar stock thats nice.The other is my winchester Model 70 with the wood.It kicks way harder than the lighter Remingtons.I think they do need a better stock.The HS stock on the Ruger should be the ticket.I think a 350 gr speer bullet at 2400 fps would help the 416 Ruger alot.The ammo is cheap I have seen it for as little as $53 a box of 20.I have also seen brass .Its an awesome caliber I hope it makes it.

Quote Originally Posted by dgr416 View Post
    The ammo is cheap I have seen it for as little as $53 a box of 20.I have also seen brass .Its an awesome caliber I hope it makes it.
    Not to nitpick, but at $2.65 (plus tax) per shot that is not cheap. As for the cartridge, its external ballistics are tried and true. A 400 grain .416 diameter bullet @ 2400 fps has a reputation as being effective on most creatures. I also agree a 350 grain spitzer increases the .416's application in NA, however there are no flies on the 400 grain Hornady RN.

Default Who all is using a 416 Ruger

Try about $6-8 each for 416 Remington Mag and $8-10 each for Weatherby 416 and 416 Rigby.Its a bargin in the big bore world.I was supprised when I saw them for $60 a box what a bargin.I have not seen any 416 rem mag loaded lately at all.The 416 Ruger is the poor mans dangerous game rifle.It does need a better stock on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dgr416 View Post
    Try about $6-8 each for 416 Remington Mag and $8-10 each for Weatherby 416 and 416 Rigby.Its a bargin in the big bore world.I was supprised when I saw them for $60 a box what a bargin.I have not seen any 416 rem mag loaded lately at all.The 416 Ruger is the poor mans dangerous game rifle.It does need a better stock on it.
    I understand your point dgr, but at more than $3 a pop I doubt a poor man can shoot enough to become proficient. IMO, even if he chooses a 416 Ruger it would take $5-600 in ammo just to make certain the rifle will function reliably. I guess my thoughts ran to the notion that a poor man (relatively speaking) must be a handloader if he is going to shoot the "big ones" and in that case there is not a lot of difference in the cost. YMMV.

I have 0 "need" for a .416 Ruger, but I would love to have one in Left Hand stainless!

Just to add a little more: on another site LHers were asked what they would like Ruger to make in a limited run...the .416 had a lot of hits!

Default 416 Ruger Alaskan

I just received my 416 Ruger a couple of weeks ago and have shot the hornady ammo along with reloads using RL 15 and Varget with the Barnes 350 gr TSX.

The Hornady performed ok at 100 yrds. I was getting around 1 1/4" 3 shot groups. I didn't chrono the loads so I don't know what velocity I was getting.

I loaded with Varget starting at 73 grains and worked up to 80 grains with the 350 gr TSX and at 80 grains I was getting 1/2" groups at 100 yrds and I chronographed the load at 2540 FPS with the 20" barrel and no signs of pressure! I'll be working up to 2600 if possible and plan on using this rifle and load combo for all my NA hunting (Elk, Moose, Griz & Brown Bear).

Reloader 15 was giving 1/2" groups but I stopped at around 2330 FPS so I could use the remaining bullets to develope the Varget loads. Reloader 15 should provide similar velocity, I hope.

I'm able to fire 30 rounds from the bench in a session without it beating me up, although I do own an Encore rifle in 470 Nitro Express and that only weighs around 7 1/2 lbs! I call it my clown gun since it actually jumps out of my hands when I shoot it and I'm able to catch it Sounds goofy but I get 1" groups at 100 yrds from shooting stix.

The Ruger has become my favorite rifle and I plan on shooting it at least twice a month to get use to it. It's a little heavy for my taste but not unbearable since most of my hunting is in Wyoming on Horse Back.

I have a Browning Ti in 300wsm and it weighs about 6 lbs which is perfect for this caliber. It failed to cycle it's bolt without some manhandling when I was hunting in Wyoming last year so I don't have a lot of confidence in it.

I envy you guys in Alaska! I hope to hunt there in a couple of years with any luck! Sorry for being long winded thought I'd share my experience to date with the Ruger since there isn't much info on it.

Good Hunting!

Default 416 Ruger Alaskan

I just received my 416 Ruger a couple of weeks ago and have shot the hornady ammo along with reloads using RL 15 and Varget with the Barnes 350 gr TSX.

The Hornady performed ok at 100 yrds. I was getting around 1 1/4" 3 shot groups. I didn't chrono the loads so I don't know what velocity I was getting.

I loaded with Varget starting at 73 grains and worked up to 80 grains with the 350 gr TSX and at 80 grains I was getting 1/2" groups at 100 yrds and I chronographed the load at 2540 FPS with the 20" barrel and no signs of pressure! I'll be working up to 2600 if possible and plan on using this rifle and load combo for all my NA hunting (Elk, Moose, Griz & Brown Bear).

Reloader 15 was giving 1/2" groups but I stopped at around 2330 FPS so I could use the remaining bullets to develope the Varget loads. Reloader 15 should provide similar velocity, I hope.

I'm able to fire 30 rounds from the bench in a session without it beating me up, although I do own an Encore rifle in 470 Nitro Express and that only weighs around 7 1/2 lbs! I call it my clown gun since it actually jumps out of my hands when I shoot it and I'm able to catch it Sounds goofy but I get 1" groups at 100 yrds from shooting stix.

The Ruger has become my favorite rifle and I plan on shooting it at least twice a month to get use to it. It's a little heavy for my taste but not unbearable since most of my hunting is in Wyoming on Horse Back.

I have a Browning Ti in 300wsm and it weighs about 6 lbs which is perfect for this caliber. It failed to cycle it's bolt without some manhandling when I was hunting in Wyoming last year so I don't have a lot of confidence in it.

I envy you guys in Alaska! I hope to hunt there in a couple of years with any luck! Sorry for being long winded thought I'd share my experience to date with the Ruger since there isn't much info on it.

Good Hunting!

I picked up an Alaskan .416 Ruger from a guy who I guess really needed the money, got it new/unfired in the box but haven't took her out to the bench yet to see how she does. Really hoping it groups well but as of now it's a paperweight in the vault. Focusing more on my Rigby and .458 WM. for now.