Thread: Boat Modifications.....

Default Boat Modifications.....

Well, after hours and days of working, I am finally getting to light at the end of the tunnel. I have done the following mods that even you NW and Alaska guys would be proud of!

I will say this, adding the fishing tower was a B****! But, I am happy with the results. Although, after I installed it, I realized it maybe hard to cast the fishing rods. But, I guess I'll get use to that. I do know this, I will look really cool running the Big MO and Mississippi Rivers with the rods stored in the holders on the tower.

1. I added a second Battery using a switch, or "Add a Battery" kit from Blue Sea Systems.

2. Underwater lights (Green). I had a friend of a friend weld two additional brackets onto the back of the boat.

3. I added a C-Channel underneath the gunwales where I plan to install blue LED lights for night fishing and aesthetics.

4. Anchor Roller - added to the front with a piece of cutting board material between the roller and stainless steel diamond plate. I did use a 3/16" plate under the diamond plate as a backer.

5. I installed a voltmeter connected to my second batter (house battery) so I can monitor the voltage when I am using all the accessories.
    Attached Images Attached Images

.....pictures

....picture

Very Nice work S.B......
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Looks good. Just curious...what are the green lights for? Do they help attract fish for night fishing?

Default one question

What's the reason for the under water lights?

The underwaterlights are mainly for aesthetic reasons when anchored at night. The look great! But, they will also attract fish too.

Looks real good, I'm going to use your c-channel LED idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonsboat View Post
    Looks real good, I'm going to use your c-channel LED idea.
    Jon,

I installed my LED strip lights last night. I wiped the inside with Acetone to clean the service really good, and then stuck them on. Very easy to mount, just peel and stick. I got mine at Coastal Night Lights online. His name is Chris, tell him I sent you his way - if you want (email on his site) (The guy from St. Louis / Midwest). I bought 11 blue lights from him.

6 lights mounted in the C-Channels (3 each side)
    2 lights for passenger/driver - under dash (1 each side)
    2 lights for bow (1 each side)
    1 Extra

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinBarrel View Post
    The underwaterlights are mainly for aesthetic reasons when anchored at night. The look great! But, they will also attract fish too.
    That looks awesome!!! Obviously your in the lower 48. I bet that will attract fish, Blue Gill/Catfish They like lights.

Might be a good setup of squidding. One of these day's I'm going to put my squid jigs in action and see if I get anything.

How about a pic of the inside all lit up at night?

Who's tower did you settle on?

Do they help attract fish for night fishing?Just curious.Looks good.

I bought this tower from Hewescraft which are made by Atlantic Towers.

I will try and get some pics posted of the lights. I tried the lights last night and they look great. If the interior color of the boat was white, I thing they'd look even better. I believe the gray interior soaks up some of the blue LED light.

Here are a couple pics of the interior with the blue LED lights I just got done installing.

Do you think white would be better for the interior?

The reason we don't use white is due to the "bug attraction" situation! I really like the Blue, but may add a few more at a later time to compensate lost light. Honestly, it turned out better than I thought it would. The picture of the back - the light looks amazing! I think I may need to add a few extra in the other pick (bow).

Not to pick nits, the blue lights look really good - but wouldnt red lights have been better in order to save your night vision? Red lights have to be REALLY bright to ruin night vision, its why they're used in the military other situations that require a dark area illumination.

This only applies if your lights were intended for night illumination while fishing or squidding.

Also, FWIW, blue light travels farther through water, ultraviolet goes even farther.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Those look great. Not sure how often the would get used up here, though. During my boating season it seems that it is light when I hit the sack and light when I get up. The cool factor is definitely there, though!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Maast,

The reason for blue is not to interfere with regulations. I would prefer red, but using it around here and apparently on the East Coast is "shaky" with US Coast Guard. So, blue is not a problem. And the green underwater lights are okay too, as long as you're anchored.