Thread: Drew a DS240 tag, unit 14C Sheep

Default Drew a DS240 tag, unit 14C Sheep

I was fortunate enough to draw a unit 14C Sheep tag for
    this October. I have never been to Alaska, as I am from Indiana,
    and will be hunting with Bob Jewett, TopGunTreks.
    I am hoping to get some advice as to what to expect.
    I know I will have to be in extremely good shape, and I plan to be.
    However, having never been, uncertain as to expected terrain,
    weather and temp conditions, what gear I will need, etc....
    Any help/advice would be appreciated, as I know this will
    be my only chance, ever, and want to make the most of it...
    Thanks...

Definately voice your concerns to your guide. Those mountains are ROUGH! Not the tallest but a fairly young range as far as mountains go so they are extremely jagged. The weather will be totally random. It could be t-shirt weather or it could snow and rain the whole time. Take layers, leave cotton at home. I like merino wool many others like poly gear. Buy great boots! Mountaineering stuff, not the junk Cabelas sells to tree-stand hunters in the south. Be in shape and be mentally tough and you will get it done. Congrats on a great tag!

Default Late

As far as info is concerned, you've come to the right place. Read everyday and search for hunt reports. You'll find packing lists, gear selections, rifle banter, ect.......all over the place here. It will take some time so just devote extra time everyday to enjoy learing about hunting AK.

Oct.......we'll here in SE AK (Panhandle) the days are significantly shorter and summer is officially over.

I can only imagine that weather and day length is only amplified in 14C (up north). Your guide should get you well directed and prepared for the expected conditions.

Good luck and enjoy you conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Take layers, leave cotton at home. I like merino wool many others like poly gear.
    +1 on this point. The only cotton you bring should be the cloths you wear on the plane. Cotton kills in Alaska. Good rain gear is another must have, like Lujon said, you might spend your whole trip in the pouring rain.

As far as the terain, I cant really think of any mountians in the lower 48s to compare them too. Just be ready and in shape to hoof it up and down hills all day.

There's a few good photos and a story here from a hunter who had your tag in 2008
    http://www.cameronhanes.com/?p=362

These pictures are kind of washed out... but to start giving you an idea of the terrain. This is on the way into your hunt area from the Anchorage side in September. As mentioned before, expect anything for weather.

Pursue happiness with diligence.

Not only physical but mental "shape" as well. Indiana is not that conductive to getting ready for a mountain hunt since you don't have high mountains. Stair steppers help but its going to take a little time once you get here to get used to it. Mental toughness is a big thing on these hunts. October is usually cold, snow etc but as Brian said, be prepared for changing weather. Don't skimp on the boots, you can research sheep hunting boots on this forum. Good luck, there are some great sheep up there.

That one picture above looks like theres two sheep in it........

Well, it's nice to meet a fellow Hoosier on here. What town are you from (or closest to)? I'm from Wabash. But now I'm a legal resident of Alaska.

Anyway, as others have stated, mental toughness is the single biggest factor in sheep hunting. I've hunted in IN since I was 7, and I've hunted in Colorado and Arkansas as well. Hunting in Alaska is harder than anywhere else I've been. You have to really WANT it. But if you're in decent shape, with the correct mindset, you'll do great.

Since you'll be guided, your guide should be able to tell you the major gear items you'll need to bring. There are also gear lists on here. One thing to make sure of is to buy the lightest gear that will hold up. In Oct. I'd probably go with a zero degree sleeping bag. I have a North Face Snowshoe which I like. Many people prefer one of 3 types of boots: Meindls, Lowas, or plastic mountaineering boots. But there are several other good choices as well. I have the Meindl (Cabela's) Alaska Hunters. Once I got good insoles in them they are great, and tough as an Abrams tank.

Another place to get a lot of good info is in Tony Russ's books (among others). "Sheep Hunting in Alaska" and "Sheep Stalking in Alaska" are both very informative.

If you don't already own the gun you plan to take, buy it soon and practice a lot with it (again, lightweight is good--lots of calibers are acceptable). Don't limit your practice to the bench. Shoot from field positions, and over a pack.

Well, that should give you a few places to start at least. If you have any other questions, ask your guide and us here on the AOD. Many of us are obsessed with sheep hunting.

Thank you all for your tips, I certainly apreciate it.
    Please be advised, this is a bow hunt.
    I realize this will be my one shot, no pun itended,
    and I will be prepared to make the most of it....
    Thanks again, in advance, for all your help.
    Happy hunting....

COO4HOOSIER...
    Almost forgot you, Sorry!!
    Im from Terre Haute, and I live right on the Illinois border.
    Primarily a whitetail fanatic, but have hunted
    in Northwest Territories, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada,
    New Mexico, etc.....I have hunted as high as 11000ft, but
    it was tough...Im assuming not as tough as what Im about to face,
    but my lion hunt,in Nevada, was a test, as well.....
    Anyway, Im babbling, so thanks for your help.
    Nice to find a fellow hoosier on an Alaska forum!

Default guide

Is your guide providing gear like tent and bags? I would think so??

It is possible with a bow, but it makes hunting the white sheep so much harder. You should prepare yourself for a 50 yard shot. Maybe even farther if you can shoot farther with confidence and accuracy.

Come a day or two early and let your guide know that you want to hunt hard for the duration. Never Give Up....... Mindset is key.

Break your boots in good before you come.