Thread: Grass seed

Default Grass seed

This is for when things start greening up.

Bears fresh from the den usually head for the alder bottoms and eat some skunk cabbage. It gives them the runs and lets them pass their hair/mucous plug from hibernation. From there they eat new grass for a few days until their system gets normal. Then they go looking for more substantial food.

Knowing that, take a 2lb bag of grass seed and put in a five gallon bucket with a gallon of water and put is some place warm, like next to the water heater. In a couple of days the seeds will begin to germinate and stink like composting grass clippings. It's best to have a lid for the bucket and to do this no more than 4 days before you plan to put this at your bait.

It really stinks but it draws bears.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    This is for when things start greening up.

Bears fresh from the den usually head for the alder bottoms and eat some skunk cabbage. It gives them the runs and lets them pass their hair/mucous plug from hibernation. From there they eat new grass for a few days until their system gets normal. Then they go looking for more substantial food.

Knowing that, take a 2lb bag of grass seed and put in a five gallon bucket with a gallon of water and put is some place warm, like next to the water heater. In a couple of days the seeds will begin to germinate and stink like composting grass clippings. It's best to have a lid for the bucket and to do this no more than 4 days before you plan to put this at your bait.

It really stinks but it draws bears.
    Thats interesting,think other things like wheat or barley would work? I have a couple hundred lbs of wheat & barley seeds for sprouts.
    Chuck

Very interesting. Of all the research I have done on bear baiting I have never heard of grass seed. It makes sense though.
    Might have to brew up a batch to beat my cabin fever.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Hiline,

I think it would, afterall wheat and barley are grasses.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today