Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Field dressing knife

Default Best Field dressing knife

Just trying to see what everyone uses for field dressing game. Do you like to use a knife that can it all well or do you like to use knife systems (ie knives for caping, knives for boning etc)? Do you prefer rounded tip blades or sharply pointed?

Buck 110 folder is my favorite

Havalon!!! Very affordable, compact, easy to carry, and you'll never have to resharpen as long as you carry a couple of extra blades. The blades are also readily available. You get 12 blades when you purchase the knife. Plus you can switch between multiple blade styles based on your skinning preference. I prefer blade # 22 for all around skinning and #60 for precision caping.

http://www.havalon.com/index.html

Cutco and havalon is what I have. I'm looking forward to using the havalon this year!

Cutco and havalon, are all I use. The Cutco serrated with orange handle for the heavy stuff and my Havlon Piranha for caping. The cutco will hold an edge for at least 3 animals, after that I send it to them to resharpen. The Havalon just change the blades.

Steve

I use a few different knives, depending on the animal. On my most recent bear, I used only two knives a Havalon and a Buck 105. I replaced the Havalon blade about halfway through, but in all fairness the blade I began with was a used blade. I like the thin, stiff blade on the 105 for the heavier cuts around the joints, but the Havalon is wonderful for the head and making precise cuts.

When skinning moose, 'bou or deer I normally use a Randall Made #4-5 inch or a Cold Steel Master Hunter. I use the Havalon to perform caping duties. I also carry a folding fillet knife for boning work back in camp.

For small game I use an old and treasured Buck 102.

I have not personally found one knife does everything, but there is no need for a bag full of knives IMO.

I use the havalon and another shinning knife . I am a little excited that havalon is coming out in may with a fillet type knife larger that I could use for boning. I like the lighweight and the ablitiy to change blades but always seem to need a strong knife when i get into the joints

I have a few gerber knives, a kershaw echo, benchmade griptilian, cutco serrated, remmington fixed blade, the havalon, a few others.....

I like folding knives for packing and serrated knives for ripping through the sternum. But, I was very impressed with the kershaw echo and would use that one for most of my needs from now on. (just got it last year) I would switch to a serrated knife to go through the sterum if I need to. And then finish off with the havalon for caping. I have a couple fat highly curved knives for fleshing (almost like an ulu).

I think if you started with a kershaw echo; you would be please. Plus I think they are under $40.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I use a few different knives, depending on the animal. On my most recent bear, I used only two knives a Havalon and a Buck 105. I replaced the Havalon blade about halfway through, but in all fairness the blade I began with was a used blade. I like the thin, stiff blade on the 105 for the heavier cuts around the joints, but the Havalon is wonderful for the head and making precise cuts.

When skinning moose, 'bou or deer I normally use a Randall Made #4-5 inch or a Cold Steel Master Hunter. I use the Havalon to perform caping duties. I also carry a folding fillet knife for boning work back in camp.

For small game I use an old and treasured Buck 102.

I have not personally found one knife does everything, but there is no need for a bag full of knives IMO.
    What folding fillet knife do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by goosepilot View Post
    What folding fillet knife do you use?
    It's an old Buck 549 that I bought on clearance while in college. It has been an excellent knife for fish and while it is a fillet knife the blade is fairly stiff and allows easy boning. I sometimes use it to separate the hip joints and cut out the back straps and tenderloins. It has a five inch blade and is maybe 6 1/2 inches folded. It might weigh 4 oz. I started using it 5-6 years ago for boning and I simply don't cut up tasty animals without it anymore.

Default Knife

Gerber, Old Timer... But any knife that is sharp, and sharpens easy, that feels good in your hand. Does not matter the brand..

Roounded blade seems to do the skinning easier for me. I use a buck, I think its a Vanguard, and it has worked well on everything. I have some small knifes I got from Russ Knight for caping but I think I'm going to invest in some scapels for turning the ears and lips.

Default Havalon

Were can I get a havalon knife, I would like to try one.

Chris

Default Barney's has them

Do a google search for Havalon. Many places have them for about $10 less than Barney's.

Default Too many knives? NOPE!

I'll start with my Gerber Gator Serrator. This may be the sharpest knife I ever held. It takes a knack to get it there, but once done, it is almost scary. It is a folder that is stiff and has great grip. A friend gave it to me a long time ago and I love it.
    I have a conundrum, and that is the same friend just gave me a Cutco. I like it, but golly, I still love the Gerber. The Cutco seems to fit well.
    My old Buck 110 may be my go to this year as the man that gave it to me roughly 30 years ago and I will be hunting off of Trophy tags on the Nowitna this year. Nostalgia and a pretty good knife. How great is that?
    The custom skinner I have is a grand knife, and I use it because a friend gave it to me, but I would not have chosen it. It is a bit too big for me. The steel is hard and it will skin a moose without pause though.
    I'll stick to my little Shrade SP or 30T for caping chores. I've worn the blade down so far it does not close right, but I like the feel and grip of those little knives.
    And here is a knife I don't remember ever using, but just may. In my dad's kit is a knife made by Marbles. I may have to take it with me this year. No tellling how much longer dad will be with us. So do I use it while he is alive, or wait until he is dead? I'm thinking now is better than later. Think it will work on a spring black bear?

Default Knives Of Alaska

I really like these knives....they hold a great edge, fit your hand like a glove, and theyr cool lookin too, plus they have a great variety of different knives for different chores....i had a blaze orange "elk hunter", but i lost it on the petersville trail winter 2008-2009 while riding ( did anyone find it?, along with a pair of Alpen 10X50 Binoculars?) some of thier other knives i really would like to have are the "jaeger" boning knife, cub bear caper, and alpha wolf....

www.knivesofalaska.com

Release Lake Trout

Default Old Timer drop point skinner...

I have this one for about twenty years. I like the way it feels and cuts. I have a Gerber I like too, but not as much. I see they are made in China now

I and some friends were once making our way up the Wood River lakes when we happened upon an Eskimo couple headed back to Aleknagik in a Lund skiff full of moose. We rafted and shared tea with them for a while. They mentioned in passing that they had cut up their big old bull with nothing more than a cruiser ax and her uluaq.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    . . .I and some friends were once making our way up the Wood River lakes when we happened upon an Eskimo couple headed back to Aleknagik in a Lund skiff full of moose. We rafted and shared tea with them for a while. They mentioned in passing that they had cut up their big old bull with nothing more than a cruiser ax and her uluaq.
    Goes to show how you do it is more important than what you do it with. As for the Ulu, I have been considering buying one of these:

http://www.blade-tech.com/ULU-Orange-pr-1096.html

What do you think Sayak? I've seen them for a bit more than $40.

Default Gerber Flayer

I also use the Havalon and the Cutco, but one of my favorites is one I've been using for over 30 years. It's the Gerber Flayer. They were discontinued many years ago but it sure is great for skinning.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 04-29-2010 at 07:47.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast