Thread: Thinking about purchasing an electric bear fence!

Talking Thinking about purchasing an electric bear fence!

Seen them, never used them, don't know anyone that has used one. Please tell me your stories or what you think about them. In fact it looks like I might need two of them. One for the river beds and the other for the hills.

Here are a couple links to threads the gear forum. One is actually about tents but there is a pic of a setup used on Kodaik.

Fences:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ighlight=fence

Tents:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ighlight=fence

I used one on Kodiak this fall. If it weren't for the fence we would have had bears in the tent. They were around the tent each night, but never tried to cross the fence. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Default electric fence

Everyone I read about puts the electric fence around their tent. I am not sure that is the best test. I want to read about someone putting them around their meat pile. If the bears on Kodiak wont touch your deer with an electric fence around them then the fence must work for sure because they seem to stop at nothing to get peoples deer. I have heard of some bears trying to chew up a cabin because deer were on the roof. Has anyone tried a fence with their meat?

One of the people at the lodge I worked at walked up to the guys camp down the river with one and grabed both wires and sat there laughing. A better idea is keeping a clean camp and hanging your food/meat.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Not to expensive.. I thinking of picking one up
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default used a couple types of fences

Hace used an electric fence powered by 2 D batteries (yup) to protect my bee hives for a few years, had problems with bears before, but not now. And they are around, as folks in the are where I keep them see them (blacks & brownies) regularly. Brownies especially don't seem to need much of a shock. The fence is a package deal, thinks its called the OK Corral, small & portable enough for anything but back pakc trips.

Have also used fences using car batteries for remote trips with lots of bears around, saw 1 black bear hit it & run off, another time clearly a brown bear hit it and distorted the fencing (we were away from camp), but didn't get into our camp.

If you're in a high bear area & can bring one in without much trouble, I recommend doing it.

There's a place in Anchorage where you can buy all the supplies to build your own, they even have a list that tells you what you need to build one. If your float hunting and want one to guard your boat you need a different setup as compare to a regular one that goes around your tent. I plan on building one this summer for our sheep hunt.

What's the name of this store? I sure this would save you big time $$$.

Default Alaska Mill and Feed

You can get all the supplies you need, they even have a list of what you need. Used one I made in Dillingham this fall. HAd a caribou behind the fence on a meat pole - never touched for the week even though we saw 20+ brown bears. Gooch

Default bear fence photo

here's a photo of a bear fence that I used last fall. shoot me an email if you're interested
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Pinesol

It's been a lot of snows ago, but it still works for me.
    After helping a buddy with his set nets in Naknek one season, I noticed (well, I heard people talking) that an old lady didn't have bear problems with her garbage. They were everywhere that year. Walking the roads, into everything. I finally got a chance to ask her and she said they don't like the smell of Pinesol. She just sprinkled it on her trash.
    I do a lot of solo hunting in bear country. On a rare occassion I have meat hanging around camp. I sprinkle it around my meat and my tent. I splash it around my boat or raft. I practice good (obsessive?) housekeeping. I have heard bears going through my pots and pans. I have cycled the 8 MM bolt more than once, I like that nice loud metallic sound. I have seen the tracks turn away 5' from the tent and circle the boat. I have never had a bear touch anything of value.
    Not entirely true. Before I used Pinesol, I lost a Coleman scanoe, a wall tent and a lot of gas cans. (and oil and bug dope cans, never figured out why they like to bite those)
    So it might just be a lucky coincidence, but I carry it on every trip in a plastic bottle. If I am walking to the hunt, then I don't carry much, but I have it. I sleep better.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it