Thread: After 12 years i am finally back, i need atv trail info

Default After 12 years i am finally back, i need atv trail info

Yes i have seen the various links so thanks for those.. BUt what i am looking for is the experience people have on these trails. So here i go. When i was here 12 years ago i lived on the various trails, bird creek, jim creek, jonesville road, kings mountain, permente, petersville, eureka and white mountain north of fairbanks.
    Here are some of my questions on these trails.
    How much have they changed? Are they better or worse with alot more traffic than 12 years ago? Are all the trail heads readily accessible?

Now the next question.
    I live one knik goose bay road. We are close to talkeetna.
    What trails would you recommend out there? What type of trails are these? Are most bogs with mudhole messes? I have been told about talkeetna but always told they are a muddy mess? Is that the normal case.

Backside of hatchers pass. Has anyone road here? What trails would you recommend?

Also final thoughts are atv trails on the kenai and richardson highway.

Now when i say recommend i am talking about a family of four on machines. I am no longer the 20 year old like was 12 years ago who will take the muddiest trail to prove something and if i get stuck enjoy the rest of the day trying to get out. Those days have passed me by, i am simply looking for decent trails to take the wife and kids and nothing that requires taking out a life insurance policy.

I thank all of you who will read this and hope you might give me much information on this and look forward to seeing you all on the trail.

Check out Alaskaatvclub.org . Their website is a plethora of information, with detailed instructions on how to get to trails and trail conditions, plus maps.

To your questions:

Around Talkeetna there is Petersville Road, lots of people ride there. Many of the trails in Talkeetna itself are for private cabin access and are not suited for recreational riding (very rooty, hard on the body.)

Hatchers from the Wasilla Side: There is Craggy Creek Trail, and then a number of un-named trails that go well up into the mountains. Craggy Creek is suitable for moderate riders. The other trails have some extremely steep sections and probably are better suited for experienced riders because there is a real risk of flipping your machine.

The best ATV riding, in my opinion, is on the Palmer side. For families, I recommend Knik River, Jonesville Mine, Buffalo Mine, Kings River, Permanente, Puritan (Boulder Creek) Beringer Pass and, of course, Eureka. I would avoid Pinochle except in the best of conditions (dry for days) as when muddy it is full of deep mud holes and the hill before Hicks creek can be very dangerous. Once at the bottom of the hill the trail is in pretty good shape for quite a ways but it gets very rocky in one section and will beat you up. Mud tires are a virtual requirement to ride Pinochle. There is also the B59 trail but I haven't ridden that one and understand except in very dry conditions it can be for expert riders only.

The ATV Club website has detailed instructions on how to find these trails. My profile has pictures of most of them.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Default thanks dee

Yes i am a member of that website also. But i am looking for more personal testimony on some of the trails. Like good place for a picnic, fun family ride etc.

Eureka and Knik can't be beat, in my opinion, for all around fun. We often lunch at the glacier in Knik. Eureka, despite its distance, has become my favorite place to ride- we generally get into the hills around Little Nelchina and lunch on top of one of the mountains back there. Any of the other locations I mentioned are nice. Any of them will offer you a clear spot to sit in the sun (assuming its sunny) and have lunch. We pack a lunch every time we ride and always find a good spot. One of our favorites is up Puritan Trail past the Boulder Creek connection heading up river. Off to the left there is a waterfall that stays frozen well into the summer and just below it is a fantastic place to picnic, not to mention do some rock hounding as there are some really unique rocks back in there and a lot of coal. Another nice spot is Eska Falls, up past Jonesville Mine. There's hills on both trails to Eska falls that are somewhat technical, especially if muddy, but once beyond that the trail is nice again. There's a beautiful pond on Permanente Trail that has a plethora of blueberries when they are in season and is a nice spot to take a break. The pond is just before the end of the established trail. We take beginning riders and kids to all of these spots and haven't had any problems. If anything looks dicey due to recent rain or whatever, we just have one of the more experienced riders take the machine across that point. If you don't mind going slow, there's a waterfall at the end of the Eklutna Lake trail that also offers nice picnicking opportunities also...but Eklutna lake is very strict about speed limits so it's great for sightseeing and beginners, but there's no challenge to the actual ride back there. If you do the Craggy Creek trail in Hatchers Pass, at the end of the ATV trail right at the bottom of the pass there is an old cabin. We hike from that point up to the top of the pass (not a difficult hike, not far) and there is a fantastic overlook of a tarn that is a beautiful blue and also of two valleys. Some of the more challenging trails in Hatchers will take you well up to the top of some of the mountains putting you around 4000 to 4500 feet and have some spectacular views, also.
    Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 04-13-2010 at 20:22. Reason: Added info
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Default Be careful at Euklutna!

Although the trail at Euklutna is not technical, the beginning of the trail can be very dangerous at times. I will give you a scenario. The overflow area at the beginning is frozen. This is often covered with loose snow and can be deceiving. To make a long story short, a friend and I almost went over the pretty steep cliff at that particular area. We were going very slow and the wheelers started going over the cliffs just due to the general slope of the trail. Be careful and don't take it for granted in the winter!

We thoroughly enjoyed riding in the White Mountains last year. There are plenty of cabins and other areas to pull off and set up camp. Just reserve the cabins early if you want one.

Question Ricky

please give us a few details as where to go in the white mountains?
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Quote Originally Posted by Lowe & Slow View Post
    please give us a few details as where to go in the white mountains?
    http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/nlc...ement_map.html

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...teMtnsMap1.pdf