Thread: caswell area

Default caswell area

I was hoping to get some information regarding the crime problem you hear about in the caswell area. I am close to making a decision about buying one of the lots in the Eagles Nest II development but have some concerns. Is it as bad as people make it out to be or is it blown out of proportion? are cabin break ins happening all the time? are suspected meth labs common place? I will not be buying land and building a cabin if I can't feel safe with my family out there so I am hoping to get some solid insight and wisdom regarding this area. Thanks for any information

caswell lakes road ( hidden hils) can be bad from time to time...meth labs, pot farms, they are out there i am sure.....watch out and lock your stuff up carefully is what i say. try to befriend some of the locals as well. Respect has some meaning out there still.

Release Lake Trout

The rumors were so bad out there back when I was looking that I crossed it off my list. If I were getting serious about an area, I would try to find a trooper that has been there for a few years and pick his brain. Maybe they have a database for this?

This it a problem everywhere that property is RELATIVELY Cheap. Whether in the city or country.

I just donít know what to say about Caswell, there are some people who just do not like outsiders. Last winter someone deliberately tore up a snowmobile trail and I saw there street signs were removed to keep people out. Is this the work of one person or several, I do not know?

If I wanted to find out more information I would talk to the people who have sold there cabins and left the area, they have no reason to lie. Or I would see if I could rent a place before buying. Talked to the Troopers and see what they say.

There is also a active church in the area and they seam to be nice people, the reason I know that is there is no place to park and I used there parking lot, they were not mad and found a area where I could park. It was very a poor place to park and when I move a person came by for a visit and told me the area is all private land.

I will leave you with a positive notes every times I have talked to people there they were friendly, and I have heard of acts of kindness.

Good luck.

Just for the fun of it I called a guy who has a cabin up there for 18 years, he has nothing but the very nice things to say about the area and several people at work live up there.

There are lots of good people that live back there. The cabins in Eagles Nest and Eagles Nest II seem to have very few problems with crime. Certainly no more than any other recreational cabin areas.

There is a State Trooper that lives right at the beginning of the road. Things have definately been quieting down back there the last 5 years or so.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

thanks for the opinions I appreciate it. I have been doing a lot of talking and reading on the area and your info helps.
    Thanks
    Again

Just curious, what is the cost of land off of Caswell Loop? I've seen a lot of listings in the area and asking prices are all over the board. I relaize that some places have power and others don't and some plots are better than others. Just trying to get a feel of what people are willing to pay in the area for a decent lot, say 5 acres good trees and high and dry.

in Eagles Nest 5 acres off the water will run around $50,000. If it is in the caswell lake developments it would be less. 5 acres on the river would be ridiculous in cost. If I move forward on my lot it will cost $9500 per acre inside Eagles Nest.

$9500 to $10,000 an acre on a maintained road with power in this area is now a good price. 10 years ago we were paying $5000.

You now also have fire service in the Caswell area. Right now it's provided by the Talkeetna and Willow fire departments, but the Caswell area is working on getting a volunteer dept. going. We've had two saves and a total loss this year. Not too bad for a rural area.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks for the info on the land values. It's much appreciated.

Is the area on Caswell Loop just outside Eagles Nest worth looking at or are you recommending Eagles Nest as the best option?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    caswell lakes road ( hidden hils) can be bad from time to time...meth labs, pot farms, they are out there i am sure.....watch out and lock your stuff up carefully is what i say. try to befriend some of the locals as well. Respect has some meaning out there still.
    Locks keep honest people, honest.

Beyond that, if someone wants your stuff, they'll figure out a way to get it. Locked or not.

Default Locks

Shed in Eagles Nest had lock cut & a 16' Avon as well as inflatable canoe removed from the storage shed next to the cabin. They left the generator, loads of tools... seems they were looking specifically for boating gear. Also seemed fairly peculiar, however this seems like a fairly common story. It's unfortunate... beautiful country. Insurance helps. This was a year & a half ago.

RMK

Default Eagle's nest

I have a friend with a place in Eagle's Nest. The fact that it's gated, keeps out most of the rif raff. The rest of the Caswell area has some issues. Between thiefs and the fringe characters, it can get interesting.

I'm building not far from there this year, and I'm considering iron bars for the doors, and roll down steel shutters for the windows....and not because of bears!

It's a sad state of affairs in much of the Mat-Su borourgh. The crack heads have to support their habit somehow. It's mostly by stealing and pawning other people's stuff.

I would install a silent alarm system that would alert my neighbors that some one is trying to brake in. You would be surprise just how fast the word get around to not mess with you. Donít forget to put in a sprinkler system there real cheep and ease to install.