Thread: Steen'keen Lee Collet Die.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Steen'keen Lee Collet Die.

My Collet die (for 7x57) doesn't size the neck enough. After sizing, I can push a bullet in and out of the neck with my FINGERS. That's not tight enough. (For jacketed bullets.)

I've adjusted it per the instructions too, but it makes no difference.
    My bullets of different brands, are mostly .2835 .
    I tried Win. Brass and Rem. Brass, and yeah the brass has been fired several times.

Instructions say if I DESIRE a "tighter fit", (No IF here. Why, wouldn't I DESIRE that?)

that I need to Anneal the case neck. (I'm not gonna do THAT.)

OR, "polish the decapper mandrel .001 smaller", AND "Do not go beyond .001 smaller as there will be not increase in bullet pull, and a decrease inaccuracy as the bullet will then be sizing the neck as it is inserted". GIMME A BREAK.

They must be claiming that this LIGHT bullet pull is more accurate. (“Yeah, the bullet don’t stay put, but when it does, it’s more accurate”.)

Also, it seems that I have the OPTION of ordering a CUSTOM Mandrel from the Factory, that is UNDERSIZED. (I guess, it's "UNDERSIZED" compared to the one I have now.)

I just want something that works, and I dunno WHY I hafta pay more, (Only $5.00 according to the instructions) to get a workable die.

They could have made it the right size in the first place, couldn't they? or am I missing something? The thing is,,, I've heard GOOD REPORTS on the Lee Collet die. That’s why I bought one, FINALLY.

Again, am I missing something, or am I just Gullible enough to have bought a Peeg in a Poke? I'd like to know before I call'em and fume at'em. You could save me loads of embarrassment.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I'm curious about this as well because I was beginning to believe what Richard Lee wrote about them and just bought a set for myself in .270 Win, though I have not gotten around to using it. Maybe Richard is just a really good writer? Although I have been pleased with almost all of my other Lee products and have found them to do what they claimed.

I say "almost all" because I also just bought a .35 cal factory crimp die that does not seem to provide any crimp at all. It is also a collet type system and perhaps for similar reasons as what you are experiecncing I am not setting it up correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    I'm curious about this as well because I was beginning to believe what Richard Lee wrote about them and just bought a set for myself in .270 Win, though I have not gotten around to using it. Maybe Richard is just a really good writer? Although I have been pleased with almost all of my other Lee products and have found them to do what they claimed.

I say "almost all" because I also just bought a .35 cal factory crimp die that does not seem to provide any crimp at all. It is also a collet type system and perhaps for similar reasons as what you are experiecncing I am not setting it up correctly.
    I would be interested in knowing if your Lee Collet die works for you, after you try it.

Mine. will work for Cast Bullets which are larger in diameter, but not for any Jacketed bullets I've tried.

Lee makes at least a couple of different kinds of Factory Crimp Dies.

I have two of the kind for rifle cartridges, in 30-30 and 338 WM, and they work really great.

The Lee FC die for my 44 Mag. works differently than the ones for the rifle cartridges, but it too works fine.

I will post when I get around to calling Lee Precision, and perhaps I'll order a different/smaller diameter Mandrel. I’m hoping that will solve the problem. If not, then it's good only for cast bullets.

I suppose, it's also possible that the one I have is not correctly dimensioned.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I only have one collet die it works just fine . But the reason you want it to size the neck down more is so your bullet will seat and not be loose.

Its not a expander die its a collet squeezing the neck down on the mandral si if it is not tight enough you need either to ask Lee for a new mandral which still may need to be dressed with fine emry cloth as the diretion say.

After breaking the die, the part called the CAP, I'm thinking I might have theese thang figgered out, somewhat.

I sent Lee Precision, an Email to find out. Also, read more instructions, etc. online.

I'll need the New CAP, perhaps a nother smaller mandrel.

I'll post where, and if, I goofed when I find out.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I received a prompt reply from Lee Precision.

When they're open tomorrow, I'll call and order an UNDERSIZED Mandrel and replacement CAP.

I hope this works.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

It really does sound like you need to crimp and put the crimping groove. Fr jacketed stuff I don't use a roll crimp but I do use a taper crimp die.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    It really does sound like you need to crimp and put the crimping groove. Fr jacketed stuff I don't use a roll crimp but I do use a taper crimp die.
    The bullets I'm using, do have a crimping groove, and the OAL would be OK (if they were crimped in the groove), for the magazine. I don't wanna depend entirely on a crimp to hold the bullet, though.

I think I need the die to size the neck MORE. Enough, to hold the bullet tight, like my other 7x57 dies.

This Collet die, (Before I broke it) worked fine for CAST bullets, that are of larger diameter. The beauty of the Collet die, (When they work, of course) is that they require no lube or anything, they size only the neck, (If that's desireable) so they make for quicker and simpler reloading.

The problem right now, is they don't answer their fone. I called repeatedly at different times of day. I even verified the number, too. Just my rotten luck, but I didn't make it this time, I don't think I did, anyway.

I sent'em a Nother Email, to find out what's goin on.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Because you are neck sizing against a mandrel you can only make the hole as small as the mandrel. Turn down, polish or in some way make the mandrel smaller than your bullets by .001 or .002 and you should be good to go. I don't know if Lee supplies the mandrels in different sizes or not. If you want, send it to me and I will lathe turn it to whatever size you want. If you are shooting cast, you probably want two different sizes anyway so getting another mandrel from Lee is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Because you are neck sizing against a mandrel you can only make the hole as small as the mandrel. Turn down, polish or in some way make the mandrel smaller than your bullets by .001 or .002 and you should be good to go. I don't know if Lee supplies the mandrels in different sizes or not. If you want, send it to me and I will lathe turn it to whatever size you want. If you are shooting cast, you probably want two different sizes anyway so getting another mandrel from Lee is a good idea.
    That's pretty close to what Lee says in the instrutions and on their website.

Turn it down, but only .001 . The will sell me and "undersized" one for $5.00, and replace the Cap I broke free of charge, but I gotta order it by phone, and they don't answer.

I just heard from them via email, and they say they are having trouble handling the call volume, and asked for my number so they can call me back.

I think I've got it covered now, but Thanks very much for your offer.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Yeah, for that little bit, stick it in a drill and either sand or file it gently. I guess I'm going to have to get one of those just to see how well they work.