Thread: How early for Halibut out of Deep Creek/Ninilchik area?

Default How early for Halibut out of Deep Creek/Ninilchik area?

Hey guys,

I remember doing this really good trip for Halibut out of Deep Creek around June 1st when I was there in 2008.

I was just wondering what the earliest any of you guys would do a charter out of that area? I am looking at May 20th right now but just wanted to get some input on whether that is too early and I may miss them?

What about Homer and Seward? I like that Deep Creek/Ninilchik area because there are sometimes these good deals on craigslist with lodging included.

Gonna wait until morning to contact the captain I went out with 2 years ago.

thanks

You should be fine on may 20th. I dont know when the tractors start up for launching but we used to hit it in our zodiacs early in the season and do quite well
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Back in the Good Ol Days

Back in the Good ol days we caught Halibut all small all year around. Heck get this we would go down at low tide, drop a good sized weight as far out as we could, and run the poles back to a high tide log drilled with a hole for the pole and wait. Learned you added a couple rocks to the line along the way to keep it down in case of a 4 wheeler, and it acted as a strike indicator. just needed beer/ a fire and a lawn chair in April.

We used to start in first of week of May and do well. However, the winds were notoriously bad that time of year.

I'm not sure when the tractors start launching up there. That's the limiting factor.

I've been catching halibut out there and getting limits for the last few weeks---limited out 4 guys a few weeks ago. You can see them by clicking on my name and then my "homepage". They aren't big ones---5 to 15 lbs. or so---but the big ones are starting to head back in and there are a number of charter operations targeting them now.

And they are around all year round as alaskapirhana said. I've been catching those little ones all winter long while trolling for kings.

Thanks for the info guys.

I just called the captain I went out with back then and hopefully I can get a good deal like I did last time.

I'll let you guys know in case anyone else was looking for similar info.

Charterboat Operator

Default tractors

Deep Creek and Anchor Point will be open May 1,
    contrary to what qkayak has said May is typically the calmest month on the water, though it has been known to blow up as well, but typically calm.

Default is it mandatory to use the tractors or can you beach launch yourself?

do tractorrs need to be used at deep creek or can you beach launch yourself

Quote Originally Posted by bobs1970 View Post
    do tractorrs need to be used at deep creek or can you beach launch yourself
    You can launch all by yourself there. No one is going to stop you. But with that said, if you are trailering your boat, the odds are your truck is going to get very wet (salt water) and you may even get stuck which isn't much fun, especially with the tide coming in.... However, people with inflatables and car toppers do it all the time. Some people do manage to launch small trailerable boats down there without the tractor just fine. And others push the package making it is somewhat entertaining to watch all of this from the comfort of the RV.....

Yeah the beach in that area is very shallow so it can be tough to get your boat into water that's deep enough to launch without going out a ways. That's why they use big tractors with big wheels on them.

It also can get pretty wavy at times. You could launch your boat in pretty flat water and then a few hours later the wind picks up and starts blowing up 4 ft. waves and it's even tricky getting your boat back on a trailer using the tractors. At Anchor there are times they've had to wait until high tide so people can get into the river and then go down and retrieve people that way. Not a lot of fun sitting out there waiting for high tide when it's blown up big.

Sounds like a charter operator alright.

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    Deep Creek and Anchor Point will be open May 1,
    contrary to what qkayak has said May is typically the calmest month on the water, though it has been known to blow up as well, but typically calm.

Charterboat Operator

Default ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    Sounds like a charter operator alright.
    didnt mean to offend you, my personal thought I guess that May is usually the calmest water month.