Thread: Best Snowshoes for a Big Guy

Default Best Snowshoes for a Big Guy

Hi all,

What snowshoes would you recommend for a guy of 300lbs plus 60 lbs of backpack? Thanks.

Ron

Default You want the largest size.

I was about 225 lbs + gear when I went through the snow shoe selection exercise a few years ago. I had a hard time finding nice shoes that are designed for big guys.

I ended up buying a pair of InStep Sub Zero 10" x 32" shoes with a 275 lb weight limit. I lost a few pounds and now I'm about 210 and the shoes work better.

Cabela's sells a pair of 9-1/2" x 36" Outfitter Pro shoes rated at 300 lbs and that might be your best bet. I don't think you will find any shoes with a rating beyond 300 lbs. If you do, they will be so long that you won't be able to walk in them. The surface area of the bottom of the shoe and the design of the frame detrmines how much weight they can support. Still, surface area and length are the most important determinants.

If you sink in the 9-1/2" x 36" shoes, you might want to try cross country skis. The next thing I would do is lighten your pack load to maybe 30 pounds by buying lighter weight gear and packing minimalist style. Needless to say, this is also a good incentive to lose some weight and I'm still working on that myself. Good luck.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

Definitely go with 36" long snowshoes. Take a look at Sierra Trading Post - they've had some great deals all winter long on last year's snowshoes, particularly the Tubbs brand.

-Brian

36 inches? For 360 pounds? You better not step off the trail with those little things. You won't be found till spring!
    For a guy your size, if your doing any trail breaking, you need 10x56 minimum. You'll probably have to get the wood frame, rawhide kind to find any that big tho.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I have the Cabela's 9 1/2 x 36 and weigh in at around 260 + gear. MT is right, they are ok if the snow is set up, but in any powder I go straight to the bottom. The big wood frames I used to have worked considerably better, they are just quite a bit harder to carry on my snowmachine.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I have some of the older wood and rawhide snowshoes,and a couple pairs of the military snowshoes.I was wondering does it help with flotation if the snowshoes have the web parts covered with material like the ones in cabelas..They must be noisier..Any pros or cons on these types....Thanks.

Cool Snowshoes

Has anybody used the white military snowshoes with cable webbing, if so what was the outcome. It looks like, I will be regulated to a pair of the older style shoes as weight is a factor. Just don't know which is the best style the wooden with rawhide webbing or the aluminum with cable webbing. Any input?

Hey Ron if you are still looking here's what I would recomend (love mine) & they are on Craig List right now. $125. as I recall.
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/spo/264416838.html
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Smile Snow Shoe's

I here Home Depot has a sale on 2x12x6', those should do it.

Thank You all. : )

This gives me a great info to what to look for. I think I mite try the 2x12 option first ! LOL : ) Again Thanks.

Ron

I'd definitely go for the larger wood frame models. The 10x56 that martentrapper mentioned, or 12x60's. They aren't as bad to walk in as you might think, and you'll appreciate them in the really soft stuff.

Hey, I've got an idea for you. Buy two of those Bigfoot plastic sleds that are about 6 feet long and put some bindings inside them. But seriously, as big as you are, you need some big shoes that you are going to have to make yourself, unless you can find some old Sherpa Mountain Bigfoots that are 48 X 11. They quit making them, but you might see them on Ebay or somewhere. Why use a backpack in the snow? Drag the aforementioned sled with your gear, much easier.

I would stay away from the wood and rawhide if you are going any place where its near the freezing mark. The rawhide becomes soft above freezing so when we hunted with them we had to work on them constantly. Tried the white aluminum ones, loved them and sold my woods.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default shoes

id go with some tradtional michagians

Default Get large, long snowshoes

Like these folks said, whatever you get they should have a lot of surface area.

Snowshoes have traditionally been webbed instead of solid for good reason: it makes very little difference in flotation and makes a big difference over a long day in how much snow you are lifting each step. (Snow sifts through the webbing when you lift your foot.) It would have been easier in the old days to just cover the bottom of the shoe with a solid piece of skin, but they learned to use webbing instead.

Seems like the main thing sold in sporting goods stores these days are these little "pretend" snowshoes made for yuppies walking packed trails. : )

Default Check Ebay

Just got back from Sportsmans Warehouse here in Anchorage and all their Snow Shoes are 20% off. Got a pair of Yukon Charlies. Total price was $64.
    Like always when I make an unresearched purchase I go to Ebay to see if I could have got them cheaper.
    They didn't have the pair I bought but did have some Yukon Charlies rated for 350 Lbs for around $65 on there.
    Has anyone tried these? I needed a light weight pair in plastic. I am a Cable lineman working in Eagle River having to hit the poles in the backyards and needed a cheap pair that I could put over my boots with climbing gear on my shoes. The hooks would rip anything but plastic.
    I'll be giving them a good work out this weekend and will see how they will hold up.