Thread: How the heckll!

Default How the heckll!

Do you tight the Warne quick release rings so that the scope doesn't wriggle around on the mounts? I've tightend the quick release wing nuts, the bolt inside the wing nut, & the base screws themselves & it still wigginin' on the mounts...what the heckll gives?

Ok, I figured it out...I had to tighten the base rings first & then put it on the mounts & then tighten the wing nuts & then go back & torque the base nuts...

Default Warne Procedure

Gogoalie, hey. I have a bunch of those Warnes and thought I would give you the rundown of what I do when I install mine.
    I first take them all apart and try to keep the halves in their respective piles. Put them on the scope with the lever side on whichever side is most out of your way, or what suits you. It doesn't really matter. Then, put the long screws in the bottom and go ahead and torque them down. This keeps the dimensions correct to fit your scope bases or rail. Then, slide the rings around and along the scope to get it to fit your bases, then clamp them on somewhat gently at first. just a good snug. Then, use the Wheeler scope leveler or whatever you can find to use to get the crosshairs level. I have found that when you are tightening the top scope holding screws doen, that the scope rotates towards the direction of the screw travel. This is a source of my best vocabulary...
    You can go ahead and get the crosshairs straight first then tighten the screws, then check the crosshairs again. Almost every time I have ever done this with the Warnes, I get the scope rotation...AAAARQ$^#^\$^$%!##$$%&$&*$%@@....breath e...
    Ok, now rotate the scope back towards the opposite direction of the screw travel just a few degrees. Then tighten the screws again and recheck the crosshairs. You might have to do this 2-4 times, but you might get very lucky and it falls right the first time. I am about half and half. I like the Warne ring setup, especially where speed of removal and accurate re-mounting is needed. I am sure there are more expensive ring and mount setups that will work even better than the Warnes, but the price on them is pretty darn good for their ruggedness and ease of use.
    Good luck. Oh, don't tighten the levers too much, they WILL snap off. Ask me how I know...

Default hehehehe....

I've already snapped some screw heads off the original scope rings I had on my rig..., so yeah, I know only to torqe them just enough...